Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
Deraj090
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Default BIS and BES on the same phone?

Please Login to Remove!

Can I have a BIS account and exchange server account on the same device?
Old 09-11-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

As long as the BES you are connected to allows it.
i.e. some companies push through IT policies that disable the use of personal email.
Check with your company and ask about their IT policies.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 09-11-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
GEneha
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Airtel

Yes, you can (as far as your Company's IT policy allows). You can have upto 10 BIS accounts and only 1 BES account on your single BlackBerry at the same time.

Last edited by GEneha; 09-11-2009 at 07:43 AM..
Old 09-11-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
Deraj090

hm -- this is my personal blackberry, though. was looking to add my company account to it. i doubt that'll be allowed by IT? i never got a response from them.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

It depends.
Companies sometimes activate personal devices on the BES, but once on it you are restricted by their IT policies.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 09-11-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deraj090 View Post
hm -- this is my personal blackberry, though. was looking to add my company account to it. i doubt that'll be allowed by IT? i never got a response from them.
You'll definitely need a response to them as not all companies are the same.

Also consider that you'd need to switch to a BES data plan with your carrier.

Personally, I don't like even giving the employer the potential for access/control. My company doesn't enforce any IT policies and they would let my BB on their BES. However, you never know how things will be down the road...

Last edited by takeshi; 09-11-2009 at 08:35 AM..
Old 09-11-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
Deraj090

this is federal gov't, so I dont think I'd want to risk it. Technically i'm Non-Exempt, therefore non-eligible for a company BB device. Except I'm traveling all next week, and will 100% need it.

I tried an outlook forwarding rule, and that didn't work for some reason...
Old 09-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
Deraj090

just checked with IT -- can't use the exchange server on my personal BB. A little bit of a blessing, but at the same time, my manager is pretty pissed that she won't be able to contact me.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

What you might be able to do, and definitely check with IT if this is allowed, is to set up a rule in Outlook on your work pc to forward incoming emails to another email account that you presently get on your BB. You won't be able to respond from your work email address, but you can see anything time-sensitive and can reply through another email account if needed.

I have done this myself and it was perfect for seeing all my work emails. I was too far down the food chain to rate a corporate BlackBerry. And besides, all they issued was the 8700. I failed to ask corporate IT if it was allowed and got a major reaming when it was discovered. The only thing that kept me from getting canned on the spot was the fact that I was so far down the chain there was no chance of my seeing anything sensitive. At the same time we had other serious rules violations in another area, so the attention was off me and onto others. So I was spared, after nearly 6 months of penance.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
dmevis
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Default Workarounds.

Even though you can't put your phone on the BES, there are some possible workarounds.

1) If your work PC isn't locked down too tightly, the Blackberry Desktop Manager software includes a "redirector" that will synchronize all of your work emails to your phone. However, you must leave your PC "on" and you must be Logged On, all of the time for this to work. Using the Redirector still allows you to use BIS to access your personal email.

2) You can go into Outlook and set up a "Rule" or "out of office" to Forward some or all incoming work emails to your personal email account, which will be received on your phone via BIS.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Messing with Federal Government PC or mail delivery is definitely something you don't want to be doing. Nor do you want official communications in your personal mailbox.

If your manager has a valid business case for needing to contact you she should make that at the appropriate level. One major issue is that since you are not exempt you would be subject to a collective agreement. Contacting you way from your workplace would have compensation issues attached such as stand by, call back, overtime etc.
If your manager can't convince her chain that the situation requires a corporate wireless device then you will just have to do without, and work within the other available officially supported communications facilities; reimbursement for long distance calls from the hotel, and such. Of course that prospect may be enough to shake loose a corporate device, even if it is a temporary issue for travel.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:27 AM   #12
Deraj090

It's an interesting setup, since i'm technically not on my direct manager's budget, but rather "talent acquisition" -- and they made all the new hires non-exempt in order to even the playing field with regard to reviews and PFP, since we were all placed in different business units. The travel I'm doing, however, is for talent acquisition, so I can't see why they wouldn't want me to have wireless access. Really, I'm not complaining -- but I know my direct manager is a little annoyed that they're taking me away from the business unit in order to travel, and she doesn't have access to me.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:03 AM   #13
PapiPabs

PIN: occhio

Quote:
I tried an outlook forwarding rule, and that didn't work for some reason...
Some companies lock down this feature (auto forwarding, auto reply, etc...) on their exchange servers, and it may even be disabled by default on some versions of MS Exchange. You'd have to check with your IT department to see if they could make an exception for you. From the sounds of it, they'd probably be reluctant though.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #14
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Quote:
It's an interesting setup, since i'm technically not on my direct manager's budget, but rather "talent acquisition" -- and they made all the new hires non-exempt in order to even the playing field with regard to reviews and PFP, since we were all placed in different business units. The travel I'm doing, however, is for talent acquisition, so I can't see why they wouldn't want me to have wireless access. Really, I'm not complaining -- but I know my direct manager is a little annoyed that they're taking me away from the business unit in order to travel, and she doesn't have access to me.
Welcome to the public service, if you aren't frustrated at least once a week, you aren't trying hard enough
Old 09-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #15
Deraj090

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
Welcome to the public service, if you aren't frustrated at least once a week, you aren't trying hard enough
hahaha you bet.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #16
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

The motto for all public service should be, "We're not happy until you're not happy."

Bear in mind that if you do get put on the corporate BES, you are then subject to all their rules as far as what you can and cannot do with your BlackBerry, even if it's a personally-owned BlackBerry.
Closed Thread