Old 11-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
JRV
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon
Default BES alert e-mails fail due to authentication

Please Login to Remove!

Single BES 5.0 MR3/Ex2007 SP2/Ex2003SP2

Trying to get BES to send e-mail alerts (via the EX2007 server). Verbose EX 2007 Receive Connector logs show this:

530 5.7.1 Client was not authenticated

Integrated Windows auth is enabled on the Connector...since Alert is running as BESAdmin, that should be valid. And Exchange Users are among the permitted Permission Groups.

In BAS, SMTP From Address is set to the default SMTP address of the BESAdmin acct. SMTP Account Address is the UPN of the account. (I've tried various permutations on this with the same result).

I've also set up a Receive Connector that allows anonymous SMTP from the BES server's IP. It also fails with the same error, which I really don't understand.

Anyone know what the magic combination is to make this work? RIM documentation is predictably vague and incomplete.

(Sure seems like BES would simply use its own mailbox to deliver alert notifications via MAPI, but that would be too obvious.)
Old 11-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
TargetIT
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Did you bounce that service on Exchange to ensure those new settings took? Also ensure you're not trying to relay (send outside of your domain).
Old 11-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
JRV
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon

Well, I restarted the server last night for another reason, and I'll see when I get there if that made any difference. But normally it's not necessary to bounce anything when modifying a Receive Connector.

I am relaying to a Mail-Enabled Universal Group within the Exchange Organization, though I'm not sure why that matters. The Group only accepts messages from the BES account.

Though, now that I think about it...that would keep the anonymous BES alerts from being delivered because I didn't think to change it. But first we need BES to authenticate at the Transport level. Windows Integrated Auth should be accomplishing that.
Closed Thread