BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 08:38 PM   #1
Critter

Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT
Question BES Question

Please Login to Remove!

We are currently using the BB web service and have been thinking if using the BES server on our Exchange server as we have some very confidential emails. I have a few questions (and I am asking here so I do no have to put up with the typical salesman bs and you people appear to be strait shooters with the pros/cons)

1) After the purchase of the BES software - is there a monthly charge?

2) Does the emails go directly from our server to the BB without logging in or registering on a remote server somewhere?

3) will we retain the web browsing?

4) How much of a pain is it to try the 60 day BES trial and go back to the web client after - I.E: do we have a bunch of re-configuring on the handhelds.

Thanks a bunch
Old 12-14-2005, 10:40 PM   #2
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

Couple of things.

1. No charge for the BES unless you purchase TSupport - which is billed anually and I fully recommend. TSupport is sold directly through RIM - not the carrier.

2. Copies of the Email are pulled from Exchange, to the BES, to RIM's NOC, to the carrier, and out over the wireless network. They are encrypted - 128 3DES or AES - so no way for anyone to read them.

3. You will have a BES browser and a BIS browser - if you want. You can control this as the BES admin.

4. Not that big a deal.

Anything else - just ask.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:06 AM   #3
JRV
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
How much of a pain is it to try the 60 day BES trial and go back to the web client after - I.E: do we have a bunch of re-configuring on the handhelds.
If you apply IT Policy (a feature of BES similar to Group Policy in windows) make sure to keep the Default policy intact--with no settings. Create a separate policy to push your settings. If you end up going back to BES and want to restore policy to its default state, you'll want to change all the BBs that have activated to use the Default policy. Otherwise you won't have an (easy) way to put them back as they were.

Our experience with BIS (and Desktop Manager, for that matter) is that it's very high-maintenance compared to BES. I can't imagine my client ever dropping back to BIS. Like all middleware, BES was heinous to set up, and we were hit hard by some of its memory leaks, in particular, (all now seem to be fixed or worked around) but now that it's up & stable, it doesn't take much of my time any more.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
dpeters11
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Definately do TSupport, the cost is on a per server/handheld basis. Level 1 is $500 a server and $20 per handheld with 2 named callers and 12x5 support including upgrades. Level 2 adds 24x7 and 2 more callers at $625 a server and $25 a handheld. With a BES you get level 0 which is 8x5 with one caller for server questions only, no upgrades and you don't get access to the Enhanced Knowledge Center.
Closed Thread