Old 04-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
fordag
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Exclamation SMS chat locks up

Please Login to Remove!

I just upgraded from a Pearl 8100 to a 9700. I'm still getting used to it and trying to find some of my old favorite settings. Overall I like it. I've had it since 14 Apr 10 and I'm beginning to get a really annoying issue.

In the SMS folders I have one contact who I text most. Now every once in a while I try to open an SMS from her but the chat won't open up. I can open every other chat from the same day or other days, just not this one contact's chat. Once I get locked out of the chat I have to pull the battery to be able to open it again. Then I'm fine for about one day. I've had to pull the battery three times in the past three days.

I've attempted to figure out how may messages are in this particular SMS chat but not sure how to do that. However I've only had the phone for 8 days, I can't have enough messages to cause a problem yet, I kept 3 months of SMS messages on my Pearl.

OS v5.0.0.405 - AT&T

Thanks,
David

Last edited by fordag; 04-22-2010 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: added OS
Old 04-22-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
marlize

Model: 8300
Carrier: TMobile

Well, I'm not an expert or anything but I was having the EXACT same problem. My phone would freeze up randomly sometimes whenever I received an sms message and the light would keep blinking.. and I'd have to either pull the battery or keep the END button pressed until it would turn off (which it wouldn't even do that sometimes and I'd have to pull the battery).

I had that problem and a problem with my browser making my phone turn off and I have had mine maybe since like March 20th.. After I upgraded to the newest OS, I've seen A HUGE difference and I haven't had my phone lock up once..

I downloaded the newest OS (not official yet though) from here:http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...a-english.html*EDIT* - guess it became official now haha

** older OS - If you want the latest official download from the Blackberry site, it can be found here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ilanguage.html

Last edited by marlize; 04-22-2010 at 10:36 PM..
Old 04-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
jbum
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have a similar problem if I understand the OP's post.

When I have received a lot of text from a particular user, that chat thread is locked and I can't open it. I can see a preview of the last text that I received but there is no way of replying since I can't get into the chat.

I have to "Clear Chat" and basically start over to text the person.

Is this a known bug?
Old 04-25-2010, 02:50 AM   #4
bn3matt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: orange uk

I have up graded to the latest OS

My phone still lock up when there are lots of texts in a particular thread. THe only solution is a battery pull or delete the thread.

Its more than anoying that this must be a know issue and RIM keep updating the OS without a fix
Old 04-25-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
Graeme2812

Carrier: Orange UK

This has just started happening to me recently too. I have noticed however it only happens with longer conversations (txts over two messages etc) and where the txt history is quite long. Bat pull seems the only solution for me. Strange it only effects one conversation, and not all the messaging conversations.

I read that OS 5.0.0.994 fixes this problem and whilst it's available on voda uk, it's not on Orange uk (.351 is the latest as far as I know).
Why have Orange always insisted on taking forever in releasing the latest updates for their handsets. They were the same with Nokia. *rolls eyes* Do they only have one software tester who works part time?

I was tempted to install the new .994 OS but I suspect that would invalidate my carrier insurance and possibly my RIM warranty if there is an issue with the handset at a later date, even if it's an official release and I don't need another 'brick' lying around!
Old 04-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
bn3matt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: orange uk

Hey Graeme do you have a link for the vodaphone latest upgrade? Im running .593 on my orange phone and apart from the text issue there are no problems. Id like to give a further upgrade a try and reckon if I had to return the phone I could do a factory reset and it would be as it arrived!
Old 04-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
Graeme2812

Carrier: Orange UK

I believe you can get the latest OS and instructions on how to install here

This is where I found the latest official OS build for Vodafone UK and this was the latest official OS for Orange UK that I found.

HTH
Old 04-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
quickinferno

Carrier: Telus

i had this same problem, a security wipe solved the problem.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:07 PM   #9
jason9700

Carrier: bb

I had the same problem, that particular chat couldn't open up. I had to delete it off.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
fordag
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: AT&T

I'm still having the problem and seeing that others have the problem

One single contact contact that i can't open the conversation for. AT&T had me wipe the phone and reinstall everything, that worked for a couple of days.

RIM had me clear the entire SMS & Email archive using the backup tool.

Neither has worked, I'm now on the phone with RIM support again and they are going to have me reinstall the same OS I'm currently running... As you can guess I'm not impressed.

Each tech I speak with (AT&T & RIM) claims they have never heard of this issue and that there is no information on it.

I bought the phone on 14 April and I have 30 days to go in and pick up a new one. Overall I like the 9700 and it looks like trding in this one for another one won't fix the problem.

What do you all think, get a new 9700 see if it fixes the problem or wait for a software fix from RIM because all 9700's have the issue?

Last edited by fordag; 05-06-2010 at 12:56 PM..
Closed Thread