Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
bryanQA

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Question PDF Question for a Blackberry Newbie

Please Login to Remove!

Before I ask my question, let me just say I'm very new to Blackberries. I'm doing quality assurance work on a new mobile website for my company and we're trying to support as many mobile platforms as we can.

Within our mobile site, we have a reporting feature that basically generates a report and gives it to the user as a PDF. I've done enough research to know that I need a 3rd-party app to read PDFs that are downloaded through the browser. Since Beamreader has a free trial period, I've installed that one.

Oh, my test device is a Blackberry Curve 8900 through AT&T running OS 4.6.

I've noticed that there are three different browsers on it (Media Net, Internet Browser and Hotspot Browser). When I'm using the Media Net or Hotspot Browser, when I run a report that generates a PDF, I'm told that its not recognized and I need to download it. I download it and then I can open it with Beamreader so its all good there.

My problem is the Internet Browser. When I try to run a report that generates a pdf, either the browser times out or I get a poorly rendered version of the pdf (sometimes the pdf has just page numbers and no data). I'm never prompted to download the PDF and what is rendered is done in the browser. What's different about the Internet Browser from the other two? Does it have something to do with MDS?

I'm not so much concerned about what I need to do to make it work. What I'm really looking for is an explanation as to why it isn't working. In the end, we plan on telling users that they need to make sure there device is able to display PDF documents but it would be nice to know what to tell them when they can't.

Last edited by bryanQA; 06-15-2010 at 01:45 PM..
Old 06-15-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Media Net = WAP I believe
Hotspot = WI-fi only
Internet = carrier data network (GPRS/EDGE/3G etc) OR wi-fi.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Closed Thread