Old 12-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
ahmedov
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 22BFC06E
Carrier: DU
Default Provider Blocks BBM over WIFI

Please Login to Remove!

Guys, in UAE the providers are blocking the email, bbm and social apps over wifi to work. Do we have any solutions to make bbm to work over wifi ? coz its useful for me, when i switch of the cell radio, i just keep getting my emails and bbm. At least to make bbm work by wifi could be good.
I thought maybe someone knows solution like something to add or remove in OS files.

Please advice
Old 12-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: Provider Blocks BBM over WIFI

None. You need a sevice book. You must have access to RIM services and the only way to get it is with a BB data plan.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I'm curious to see the answers you get. But to be clear, BBM, email and so forth work over mobile network, but not over wifi?

Are you certain it's blocked? You've tried a hard reset? You've tried re-sending service books?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 12-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

I think youxxx8217;re lucky anything works at this point. The internet is full of different services being blocked by UAE. If you can do a Google search and see the things.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
ahmedov
Thumbs Must Hurt

Guys
1. i have BIS Data Plan
2. It start happening since UAE agreed to keep Blackberry Service after initial ban announcement.
3. I think UAE and RIM somehow agreed on this, so after that providers force email, bbm and other IMs traffic vie themself and block it via wifi.
4. Question; doing so does it mean RIM has gave up access to this data if its going though provider ? otherwise why would UAE block wifi if they still cant read data ?
Old 12-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

1-3 gotcha and understand

4 - I very strongly suspect the situation is as you suspect, that messaging is being forced through mobile network and blocked via the internet for...wait for it...national security. I will be surprised if there is anything you can do about it, at least not without breaking some law in the country. Sorry to be so negative. I'm pissed off about it and I'm not even subject to it.

EDIT: scratch your and substitue the

Last edited by aiharkness; 12-03-2010 at 04:07 PM..
Old 12-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
ahmedov
Thumbs Must Hurt

its not my country, so go ahead tell me how to break it
Old 12-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Honestly, I don't know.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
tsac
BlackBerry God

These articles are from European news agencies. Apparently RIM folded and blocks may be in place until they comply
Release 10/19/10
Canadian maker of the smart phones, has agreed to an interim arrangement for lawful interception of Blackberry messenger services xxx8212; an instant messaging application xxx8212; and pledged to provide a final solution by January.
Release 10/20/10
The maker of BlackBerry launched from the United Arab Emirates on Monday new smartphone technologies in the Middle East, 10 days after averting a ban on its services in the Gulf state.
"I'm so excited about the progress that BlackBerry made in the UAE, and specifically in Dubai," said Jim Balsillie, the co-CEO of Research in Motion (RIM), in a keynote speech at the annual GITEX technology show in Dubai.
He boasted that BlackBerry controls 45 percent of the UAE's smartphones market, and announced a series of cooperation initiatives.
"This is the market that we are so excited about," he said, avoiding any reference to the problem with the UAE's telecom authority, which had set an October 11 deadline for RIM to allow them access to its encrypted data or face a ban.
Balsillie showed off RIM's new model, BlackBerry Torch, as well as its new BlackBerry PlayBook, in addition to its new operating system BlackBerry 6.
He also said RIM was starting partnerships in the UAE to advance e-government services and secure online payments, adding that it was offering local academic institutions teaching materials to provide students the experience of working with BlackBerry solutions.
He was not available to talk to reporters after his speech.
The UAE's Telecommunication Regulatory Authority (TRA) said in August that BlackBerry instant messenger, email and Web browsing would be suspended because they "allow individuals to commit violations", and cannot be monitored.
But TRA backtracked on its decision only a few days before the deadline, citing "the positive engagement and collaboration of Research In Motion in reaching this regulatorily compliant outcome."
It was not clear whether RIM made concessions allowing UAE authorities access to its servers.
On Monday, TRA director-general Mohammed al-Ghanem said the solution reached with RIM was "final," but declined to say whether RIM made concessions.
"The solution is final... It is not a question of concessions," he told reporters following Balsillie's speech.
"What I can tell you is that the service of BlackBerry is in compliance with TRA framework," he said.
He also boasted of the "strategic cooperation" between RIM and TRA, as well as with the country's two operators Etisalat and Du, which were until recently offering their customers alternative smartphone packages, had the ban on BlackBerry gone into effect.
The UAE was the first country to threaten to suspend BlackBerry services over security concerns. Saudi Arabia went on to suspend messenger services briefly in August, before lifting the ban.
The UAE has some 500,000 BlackBerry users, while Saudi Arabia has around 700,000.
India, which has around one million subscribers, last week extended by 90 days a 31 October deadline given to RIM to provide intelligence agencies with access to its services.
RIM has always maintained that the encrypted data of BlackBerry were inaccessible.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
ahmedov
Thumbs Must Hurt

long story - short UAE sucks
Old 12-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #11
tsac
BlackBerry God

Unfortunatly.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:16 AM   #12
ikarusy

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: msn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
Unfortunatly.
Sorry but I don't understand

I have bb 8900 with os 5.0 and I have data plan and I have wifi how to make bbm not work yet how to make it worK plzz help me
Old 01-10-2011, 06:25 AM   #13
limes88

Model: None
Carrier: Singtel

Correct me if I am wrong, if you dont have a BB plan, you cant use any BB services even if you have a normal data plan or wifi.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #14
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

If you do not have a BlackBerry data plan (data service specifically for a BlackBerry) then you cannot use BlackBerry data, including BBM.

If you have a BlackBerry data plan, you can use BlackBerry data, including BBM, on wifi only as well as on the mobile network--though that may not be the case in some regions because of government measures there, not for technical reasons.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:46 PM   #15
acquastrawberry

Model: 9700
Carrier: Globe

I have data plan that is NOT UNLIMITED. So i get billed for every data I use. Currently, my outgoing service has been cut off because of i haven't paid my SKY-HIGH bill, BBM and YM for BB both are still working using wifi. I turned off wifi and it disallowed me to use BBM and YM. I turned on wifi again and it got me able to use BBM and YM. Push Email does not work, so I guess it really depends on the data plan that my carrier offers.

Now, using my dad's BB with data, i turned off his data service and connected to wifi, but unable to use all apps.

I am someone who loves figuring things out, but for BB, i think I'm about to give up.

Let me just say that one of the hardest things I did in my life was explaining to my i-love-make-up-and-i-love-kissing-boys girl colleagues how bb works. BB is definitely not for someone who DOES NOT read User Guide.

Going back, can someone explain to me why it worked for me and why it didnt for my dad's?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:59 AM   #16
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

You need to be clear whether you are talking about disabling mobile network in manage connections, or turning off data services on the mobile network screen in device options.
If you turn off data, you turn off all data and just have phone. That mean no wifi, and no mobile network data.

If you turn off the mobile network, you turn off phone and data on the mobile network. If wifi is on and mobile network is off, you will have data service via the wifi connection, and phone if you have UMA.

BlackBerry data services work over wifi if you have a BlackBerry data plan and it is active on the device, unless you are in a situation such as the OP.
Closed Thread