Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 11:46 AM   #1
alm1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100
Default Time taken for delete in outlook to disappear on handheld

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all

Does anyone have an exact time it takes, or how often the service polls to delete the emails from the handheld after they have been deleted in outlook

Mine seems to do it every 5 - 10 minutes.

Is there anyway to change this? I have numerous users who would like to see it happen more frequently.

we are running BES 4.0 with exchange
Old 01-18-2006, 12:09 PM   #2
markhatter

Model: 8800
Carrier: vodafone

Email reconciliation is based on how busy the server is at the time.
Delivery of email always takes priority whilst other actions such as deletions, folder moves etc are given a lower priority.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:12 PM   #3
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

I believe it's 20 mins and I don't think you can change it... although that feature might have been introduced in the new services packs for exchange and domino released last week, but I haven't checked yet.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:12 PM   #4
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

I was mistaken then. Was just remembering back from the beta days and I had thought it being around 20mins.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:22 PM   #5
alm1

Model: 7100

Thanks.
It does seem to be roughly 20 minutes though.

However our server sits on sub 5% CPU all the time.
Why does it take so long?

Im surprised this can't be changed actually.
I mean we have a powerful server, and its barely being used and we can't utilize it further. Anyone know if there are future plans for this to be incorporated?
Old 01-18-2006, 12:28 PM   #6
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Would be nice to sync deletes faster, but I can force it to sync if it really bothers me. I notice that my sent items from Outlook show up on my Blackberry quite fast (about 20 seconds), though, so it's interesting that deleted items can't sync as quickly.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:07 PM   #7
aschaef

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

I have had my users ask me the same exact question. They think that I've set something up wrong because it only takes a few seconds for a message read on the BB to show up as read in Outlook, however when they delete a message either on the BB or on the desktop it takes 5-10 minutes to delete on the other platform. We're running 4.0.1 SP3 and I haven't seen anywhere to change this.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:04 AM   #8
besadmin23
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

Here is what RIM has said and what my personal take is on the subject. RIM says that delete syncs taking so long was born out of the need/responsibility to reduce the amount of data that berries sent and received. It does make sense. In the old days, you know 3 years ago , when we were all paying ala carte data fees, if every single delete that I had done would have caused data to be sent to my bb, my bill would be huge. Additionally they say that a single data packet that is sent to a bb can contain several sync commands therefore making sense why it would bundle up several and send within a single packet. $$ savings.

Now my personal take. I believe and agree 100% with above. Plus for MOST users, not all but I would say most, there is less of a need to see the sync to outlook or vice versa within a few seconds versus 20 mins. The reality is that if you are away from your desk and make changes, by the time your back and looking at your mail on your pc, the changes have synched. Same the other way around. If you are really uncomfortable, just reconcile. It's VERY easy. Get used to it. The BB is an unbelievable tool and it has some special ways it works. Adapt and you will be happier, I promise.
Closed Thread