Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 05:52 PM   #1
SapperLeader
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon
Default T-Mobile international data

Please Login to Remove!

I have seen reference (in a number of posts) to T-Mobil having a $19.99/month unlimited international data package. Speaking with a T-Mobile customer service rep today he said there was no such thing.

Now I appreciate that often there are those of you on this board who are more up to date than the carrier reps so I am asking if there is indeed such a package and if so can if be activated/deactivated on a month by month basis. I don't travel internationally a ton but enough where such a package would be handy. If it exists is there a specific feature code I should ask for?

Also is there any way to determine/measure how much data (in kb) that is being pushed to my BB so I can get a feel for what type of charge to expect if I do have to use a per/kb plan.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2006, 12:30 AM   #2
lrdiaz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T

There is such a thing, and yes one can deactivate. However, when deactivating it will take effect at the end of you billing cycle.
Login to mytmobile and you will see the amount of data used.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:17 AM   #3
anthonymoody

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile

With respect to Irdiaz, I'm pretty sure there's no *international* unlimited data plan, just as there's not international calling plan per se. When you travel out of the US, you are roaming on the networks of other carriers with which TMo has struck deals. In some countries, you actually have the choice of a few different carriers though the (calling) rates are pretty similar - most around $1/minute.

So, just like there's no unlimited intl calling plan, there's no intl data plan - again to my knowledge. Also, intl roaming data rates are *very* expensive so beware when traveling.

TM
Old 01-22-2006, 10:28 AM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

There is an unlimited roaming international data plan offered by T-Mobile to their business customers. We have it for several customers. You pay the monthly charge whether or not you use it.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:53 PM   #5
SapperLeader

Thanks, how does T-Mobile define "Business Customer"?

I own my business and have an individual account with them, I do pay for BES service on the data side of things if that helps.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:05 PM   #6
lrdiaz

I am an individual customer who signed up on the web for the BB Unlimited International add-on back in October. It has been available as an added service since last fall.
I am in the Houston area. Could it be that only certain areas are able to see it as an add-on??
Old 01-22-2006, 05:27 PM   #7
SapperLeader

For the life of me I cannot find it as a currently available option anywhere on the T-Mobile web site. Perhaps you are "grandfathered" in on a no longer available option.

If you can point me to it I would appreciate it?
Old 01-22-2006, 05:28 PM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Call them up and ask! If they say no, call back and talk to someone else.
I didn't add it via the web; we have a corporate account manager and he told me about it and added it.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:15 PM   #9
SapperLeader

NJBlackBerry, one last question; how much is it per month?
Old 01-22-2006, 09:31 PM   #10
gfunkdave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mobile

It shows up for me when I look at my plan and services on tmobile.com:

OPTIONAL SERVICES
WorldClass International Service (Free)

Any 400 Messages ($4.99)

BlackBerry Unlimited International E-mail ($19.99)

Discounted long distance to Mexico ($4.99)

BlackBerry Unlimited Add-on ($19.99)

BlackBerry Unlimited w/Enterprise Email Add-on ($29.98)
Old 01-23-2006, 04:59 AM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Sorry - flew off to the UK (and using my International Unlimited roaming) - as said in the previous post, it is $19.99/month.

And no EDGE here GPRS only.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:06 AM   #12
anthonymoody

A few things:

a) I wonder if this is blackberry only (e.g. if you have a Treo is the unlimited data available for it too?)

b) Based on the list above from gfunkdave, it looks to me that "Blackberry Unlimited International E-mail" is what's offered, which, unless I misunderstand, is NOT unlimited data (i.e. web surfing). No?

TM
Old 01-23-2006, 10:18 AM   #13
lrdiaz

As far as I know, the Intl unlimited is only offered for BB's. I spent three weeks out of every month in the UK, and have never seen extra charges for use of the TMO browser and Internet browser. When I was carrying the 7100bb, I used Pocket Day's RSS feeds and other functions without extra charges.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:21 PM   #14
anthonymoody

Wow - that's a reason all by itself to use a BB over a Treo. On a Treo you pay intl data roaming charges for both email and web. The charges vary greatly (unlike the calling which is pretty consistent around $1/min) but no matter where you are they'll all *really* high.

TM
Old 01-23-2006, 08:50 PM   #15
blackberry328

Model: 7290

hmmm I am not too sure about that. I just talked to the representative 15 mins ago and asked to cancel my bb intl e-mail service. I asked about a similar package for Treo and he says there is one for 29.99. I don't know if it is an intl package though.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:04 AM   #16
canadasy

There is an unlimited international e-mail option available for $19.99 per month. Log into my t-mobile and under "Plan & Services" click "Change Plan Or Services". One of your options will be "BlackBerry Unlimited International E-mail ($19.99)". It is pro-rated meaning if you click on it today, use it tomorrow, and unclick it the following day, you will only be charged a portion of the $19.99 fee. I have used it in Malta, Iceland, Peru, Easter Island, and Santiago, Chile and been charged anywhere from $8.99 to the full $19.99. However, never a penny more than $19.99 & I use verichat, the web browser, and other data-intensive applications. It's the best deal running for those of us who travel internationally for work. Best of all, you only pay for it when you need it.

Last edited by canadasy; 01-24-2006 at 04:06 AM..
Old 01-24-2006, 09:44 AM   #17
anthonymoody

bb328,

I don't think there is any int'l unlimited plan for the Treo - whether email or web (or both as there seems to be for the blackberry devices). When I log into my t-mobile under Change Plan Or Services there is nothing listed that sounds remotely like an unlimited international data plan. I suppose it's possible that it's something you can only request on the phone but sort of doubt it since TMo is usually pretty good about making all options available on the web site.

btw canadasy, very cool that you can switch the plan on and off when and as you travel. Yet another reason to use a BB instead of a treo. Can't wait until they release the 8700t...

TM
Old 01-24-2006, 01:41 PM   #18
SapperLeader

I finally figured out why I was not seeing the international option on My T-Mobile and its so simple as to be embarrassing.

My old phone on T-Mobile was a Razr and when I upgraded to a unlocked 8700c on T-Mobile everything was added to my account during a call with a customer service rep. The thing that was not changed was my phone (device) selection on the website. I guess I needed to update that myself. So when I logged on to My T-Mobile I saw my account, BES unlimited data, worldclass, etc... but never saw the unlimited international data option as my phone was still set to a Razr. Once I reset my phone (device) selection to a international BB (a 7290 as T-Mobile does not have 8700 yet) the option to add unlimited international data popped right up.

Apparently the web site is very phone specific as to the options & services it presents to you.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:17 PM   #19
anthonymoody

Yup - I have mine set as a Treo, and unfortunately no intl plans listed...

TM
Old 10-02-2006, 04:35 PM   #20
padders

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-mobile

Those using web/im on the blackberry, are you using BIS or BES plans?
Closed Thread