BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 02:43 PM   #1
richardw
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Vodafone
Default How to be sure the old OS and data is wiped?

Please Login to Remove!

I have my 7290 replaced by Vodafone in the UK due to a faulty unit. Sadly I also used restore to restore old data with the possibility that something is corrupted since now when using any version of PocketDay I cannot use the Stocks or Weather.
So I thought the best thing to do is re-install the OS and used Javaloader to erase the HH. Then I re-installed the OS and then the service book.
What I noticed is that a lot of options for PD was still there which means the variables or default store was not erased and also the same probs with Weather and Stocks. Strange thing is that RSS works just fine.
All other functions work just fine including web browsing.

So how do I absolutely make sure the HH is erased?

Any help appreciated as BB is my lifeline!!!

Richard
Old 01-22-2006, 02:55 PM   #2
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Wow, registered since May and this is your first post. You'll be a while trying to match Dawgs record....

Since you have a backup, serch for javaloader. Then do these steps.

1. Do a security wipe
2. Wipe with Javaloader
3. Load new OS with no applications
4. Do a selective restore instead of restoring the complete back up. I make sure to do my content store, profiles, browser stuff and ribbon positions because that is where your ringtones, photos etcc... are located. I reset all my options manually.
5. Reinstall fresh applications
6. If applicable, put it back on BES last and do a sync. This allows your applications to get access through the firewall before the policy get's set. It reduces my inside/outside errors.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:02 PM   #3
richardw
Thumbs Must Hurt

You guys do such a good job of giving us info that posting has not been necessary thus far but...............!!!

I already used Javaloader, see my posting, and still there must be some refs in there. For example another prog I use called Worldmate knew I had a registration, which normally it doesn't if the memory is fully wiped.

This makes me think that Javaloader does indeed force a new installation of the OS which is itself desirable but does not completely re-initialise the BB which needs to be done to remove everything.

FWIW I didn't bother with any restores this time and still there is stuff lurking about!

<edit> When I checked again Worldmate did not think I was registered which was strange but perhaps we don't worry about that.
However on PocketDay the prog knew some, but not all, of my defaults so that makes me worry.</edit>

What now?

Last edited by richardw; 01-22-2006 at 07:08 PM..
Old 01-22-2006, 07:59 PM   #4
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Try step 1 first.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:02 PM   #5
richardw
Thumbs Must Hurt

Did that and for sure all data is erased.
Root problem with PDPro is still the same so have used that great Javaloader prog to send screen dumps to support.
Its very strange and I'll post the info on the 3rd party apps area in the hope of connecting with someone else. I think support are stumped.
Closed Thread