Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
hornet303
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon
Default Verizon 7130e in pocket?

Please Login to Remove!

I just ordered a 7130e and started reading a lot of the threads on this site. Looks like a great community and has already answered a lot of questions. But I notice that many people carry the 7130e with the holster/case/clip thing. I work in Irvine,CA and I cannot stand it when people use these things. Most cell phones fit in pockets just fine. I came up with the name "Irvine 6 Shooter" cause its seriously like the days of the west with cowboys.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, my question is, how many of you put the 7130e in your pocket? Do you ever have issues with hitting keys while not on the phone if its in your pocket?

I know it sounds petty, but its a bit of a deal breaker for me if I cant practically put it in my pocket. I use phones for communication, not status symbol.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

You can keep it in your pocket but it will shorten your battery life because the sleeper function will not work. Also, you could scatch it on coins, keys, pens etc.

I mapped the courtesy key to keyboard lock. That way it is easy to prevent random key presses.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:19 PM   #3
ten100switch

Model: 7130e

I keep it in the back pocket of my jeans or pants, I just put the keyboard lock on and go, never had any trouble. I guess it would be nice if I could put it into sleep mode but I don't like bulk and a holder would likely just add lots of bulk.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:33 PM   #4
pdone
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530

I pulled the clip out of the holster that's included with the phone. As long as you're not wearing "Spinal Tap" pants it should fit in your front pocket without too much trouble. This method also allows the sleeper function to work, lengthening battery life.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:26 PM   #5
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Wirelessly posted (7130e VZW: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I sometimes put my 7130e in my pocket, especially when I wear jeans. Use the keyguard and you should be okay. You do need to be careful of scratches, though.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:50 AM   #6
scaredpoet

Model: iPhon
Carrier: AT&T

I keep my 7130e in pocket, and it's well protected using one of these:

http://www.shopblackberry.com/_black...WBW7TARNMXNB82

Basically, a leather pouch without the belt clip. It doesn't add very much to the 7130e's width, and in slacks it fits in my pocket just fine. It also lets the 7130e sleep, which allows it to conserve battery power..
Old 03-17-2006, 09:07 AM   #7
terrapinie

A suggestion - if you're wearing jeans (or other pants with the '5th' pocket) - the sleep function might work if you put the magnet in the 5th pocket... The magnet is easy to snip out of the case that comes with the phone - i flipped the case inside out, and there are two magnets, one in front, one in the back - the phone only needs one of these to have it sleep, so cutting one out doesn't render the case useless for future use. If you slit the case just above the magnet, it will slide right out and won't damage the case if you're careful. just a suggestion to try...
Old 03-17-2006, 11:14 AM   #8
Raven
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130
Carrier: VZW

I keep my 7130in pocket with no probelm also.
Just lock the keypad or you will pocket call someone...
Also shuting off the signal status light (flashing green light) it will save alittle power.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:12 PM   #9
ten100switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdone
I pulled the clip out of the holster that's included with the phone. As long as you're not wearing "Spinal Tap" pants it should fit in your front pocket without too much trouble. This method also allows the sleeper function to work, lengthening battery life.
ah I do wear the "Spinal Tap" pants, so that's my issue and why it stays in the back pocket
Old 03-17-2006, 05:00 PM   #10
Donna

PIN: t / Quart
Carrier: VZ

I believe the stock holster with the fixed clip might cause damage to a nice belt and warn my customers against using it.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:09 PM   #11
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Careful..you dont want to radiate your boys!

Seriously though. In addition to the possibility of scratches and lower battery life, you will run the risk of serious dust, lint, or dirt issues. All of which could be lodged in your phone (in the speakers, mic, usb port, ect).

If you want to put it in your pocket and not your hip, at least consider a case with no belt clip. something like a pouch would be good
Old 03-18-2006, 04:04 PM   #12
gadgtman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet303
I just ordered a 7130e and started reading a lot of the threads on this site. Looks like a great community and has already answered a lot of questions. But I notice that many people carry the 7130e with the holster/case/clip thing. I work in Irvine,CA and I cannot stand it when people use these things. Most cell phones fit in pockets just fine. I came up with the name "Irvine 6 Shooter" cause its seriously like the days of the west with cowboys.
Uhmmm....am I missing something? Is it not cool to wear a phone on the hip anymore? Seriously, why can't you stand holsters/cases/clips?
Old 03-18-2006, 04:11 PM   #13
hornet303

To me, it seems more of a "hey, look at my phone" type of thing. Why would you not put it in your pocket when 90% of the phones out there can fit in a normal persons pocket (non spinal-tap painted on pants). I never understood why people want their phone on their hips anyway. Its it really that much quicker than reaching into your pocket?

It all comes down to preference. Im an IT Sysadmin for what is most likely the biggest networking company out there. I dress in jeans (pref shorts tho) and t-shirts. Im secure with my place in my career, I dont need the tie and slacks and the high-tech) blackberry on hip. Id rather be a normal joe.

Again, it all comes down to options.. Id rather have the option than not.

Last edited by hornet303; 03-18-2006 at 04:14 PM..
Old 03-18-2006, 04:41 PM   #14
dbregman

I don't know about any of you out there, but when I am wearing my non-Spinal Tap jeans, ther is no way I could get the phone out of my pocket while sitting, i.e. driving, or in a meeting. I can remove it from the clip. Perhaps the reason some people perfer the pocket is that they set their phone on vibrate and subscribe to a lot of email lists.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:50 PM   #15
Danimal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbregman
I don't know about any of you out there, but when I am wearing my non-Spinal Tap jeans, ther is no way I could get the phone out of my pocket while sitting, i.e. driving, or in a meeting. I can remove it from the clip.
I was thinking that too. I don't wear tight jeans ever and I wouldn't think of putting my blackberry in my pocket when I get it let alone the E-815 I have now. I clip it for convenience not show.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:03 PM   #16
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
Cool

Alright this coming from a youngin (21) and as a male wearing a your blackberry, treo, nextel, yada yada yada phone is actually becoming trend. Take rappers for instance, they wear belt clips for convience and well to show off. It's just easier. I wear loose fitting (abercrombie style not gangster) jeans and even then it's hard to get my BB outta them when I'm in the car. When I'm on duty at my police department I volunteer for well hell I've already got my belt loaded with a radio and other equiptment so I just plop the berry on there too, most officers do. Most people have broken or messed up enough phones to know this is the way to go. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:33 PM   #17
pdone

There's no right or wrong, it's obviously a preference thing. However, one benefit of keeping it in your pocket, the possibility exists for the question "Is that a blackberry in your pocket or are you happy to see me?"...
Old 03-20-2006, 11:47 AM   #18
dbregman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdone
There's no right or wrong, it's obviously a preference thing. However, one benefit of keeping it in your pocket, the possibility exists for the question "Is that a blackberry in your pocket or are you happy to see me?"...
The correct answer being - "call me and you will see..."
Old 03-20-2006, 12:01 PM   #19
rohardi

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

If I have dress pants on with my shirt tucked in you can see both my BB and my P.O.S nextel on my belt. (I call it my batman belt). If Im not working and not dressed up ,my shirt is untucked most of the time, covering my bb on my belt. Just food for thought.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:02 PM   #20
pdone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbregman
The correct answer being - "call me and you will see..."
That makes me laugh...
Closed Thread