PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular
Default Hands on review: 8700x Gizmoskin Version 3.0

Please Login to Remove!

Gizmoskin Round 3

Hands on review by lgreenberg
March 20th, 2006

Price as reviewed: $39.95 USD

It's me the "casemiester" back with another review.

Sometimes practice makes perfect. And in the case of the Gizmoskin they seem to be one hundred percent committed to getting it right. I was recently sent the third iteration of Gizmoskin case for the Blackberry 8700x series.

Most important, what makes this version different than the previous versions. For starters the belt clip. In past versions the belt clip was wrapped with the same soft lambskin leather which the entire case was made from. This caused some issues. The belt clip does take abuse. We're always taking the case on or off our belts, swiveling it this way or that way. Well that caused the soft lambskin leather to stress. Gizmoskin responded by coating the steel belt clip with a tougher cow hide leather. This type of leather should handle abuse much better than it's softer cousin.

Here's some pictures of the newly coated clip.

I'm personally not a fan of this style of clip. I find the clip to be a little too short for my taste. I'm not one hundred percent confident that the case won't slip off my belt after I've worn it for a while. I've been using the case for a week now. It hasn't fallen off but I've been making sure it doesn't have the chance to do so. Habit I guess.

The clip is also too straight. It needs a little break at the end which helps lock it onto a belt. For example.....

The big plus to the Gizmoskin case is the fact that it ratchets. It does so very firmly, which is good. The OEM RIM leather holster has a ratcheting belt clip but I find it very loose. Often times the OEM case will shift positions while on my belt. The Gizmoskin's clip stays firmly where you set it.

The overall design and shape of the case remains unchanged. It's still a perfect fit for the 8700c.

For those of you wondering.... Yes the case holds the 8700c with the extended battery just fine.

The case still uses the same magnetic closure as the previous versions.

And the it still has the built in sleeper magnet. However, the magnet has been repositioned for better accuracy.

The biggest problem with the past version of the Gizmoskin has been the opening of the sides of the case. It's no big secret that the sides of the Gizmoskin are not stitched together. They are however held together by a strong adhesive. Apparently the adhesive used on past versions just wasn't the right fit for the leather being used and several users of the case reported their cases coming apart. I even tested this on my old version. I pulled the sides apart and they did come loose rather easily.

Well it seems this issue has been solved. A new adhesive has been used and it's MUCH stronger than whatever was used in the past. I did some testing on the case that was sent to me. I tried my best to pull the case apart. I pulled at the sides of the case as hard as I possibly could and they never came apart. After ten minutes of constant pulling there is zero evidence of my testing.

These pictures were taken after I had pulled on the sides as hard as I could for a bit.

So the question remains, is this the final version of the Gizmoskin? I guess that'll be up to the buying public to decide. From what I've seen from their commitment to product quality I'm guessing even better things are still yet to come.

Pros: Beautiful leather, perfect fit, sleeper magnet, fits both regular and extended batteries, professional looking, slim.

Cons: Belt clip.

Last edited by lgreenberg; 03-20-2006 at 08:47 PM..
Old 03-20-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
mortgageguy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Good review. It seems that Gizmoskin has corrected the two serious flaws with the original design. I have two of the previous versions of the case and both had the "glue issue". I solved it by putting a dab of superglue on them and they will not come apart now.

For anyone looking for a case at a reasonable price, this is a good case and the customer service is excellent.

For me, I'm hooked on Nutshell. I received the leather sleeves last week and have not used any of my other 10 cases(ashamed ) since. I'm going to sell all of them but the Nutshell sleeves and cases. I will post them in the For Sale area if anyone is interested.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:49 PM   #3
campsean
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

My old gizmoskin came apart at the sides, but I was glad to receive a replacement gizmoskin - I was sent the updated version of it. It fits the 8700c lot better (more snuggier fit). The new adhesive for the seams on the side sticks a lot better. Pulled on the sides semi-hard and they do not give away at all. Belt Clip easily slips on my belt with little or no trouble at all and stays firmly attached (old one - i had a HARD time slipping it on my belt)

This is a great redesigned product - I would now recommend it and I hope you will follow suit and buy it for yourself. I'm now not regretting my purchase after a bad experience with the original design.

Kudos to Gizmoskin for standing behind his proudct and getting back to me on my defective product and following up by sending me a replacement case.

Sean
Old 03-21-2006, 04:06 PM   #4
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Larry, you were yankin' it for 10 minutes straight?!

Old 03-21-2006, 04:15 PM   #5
Lex Luthor
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
Larry, you were yankin' it for 10 minutes straight?!

ROFLMFAO

I heard many bad things about the Gizmoskin cases from people on the forum board and a few co workers of mine so I never purchased one. If this batch has consistent positive feedback I think I will buy one.

How many frickin cases do you own now lgreenberg? In your honest opinion how does the new Gizmoskin case rank against all your others?
Old 03-21-2006, 04:17 PM   #6
Hobbesgsr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

I ordered two last night based on this new positive feedback.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:58 PM   #7
BBRaffey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbesgsr
I ordered two last night based on this new positive feedback.
TWO!! Everyone is catching the Greenberg virus. I have so many black cases that I have to hide them in the office to keep the wife from finding out. I caught her looking a little suspicious the other day so am afraid to switch too often. I like the looks of the Gizmoskin, but am going to wait until they come out with it in brown (too many black ones already). I too would like Larry to rate the cases. Perhaps after he gets his three Vaja cases he will rate his top 100 for us.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:13 PM   #8
lgreenberg

Model: 8310

I'll start a ranking system for any new case I review.

If I had to rank the cases I've reviewed in the past I'd probably do so as follows:

Fortte Vertical Pouch -
RIM Pouch with Clip -
Gizmoskin -
Plastic Holster -
Nutshell -
Sport Foam Holster -
RIM Rugged Case -
Krusell Universal Horizontal -

P.S. jibi, no comment.

Nitty, honestly right now I own three cases. The RIM Pouch, Fortte Vertical and the Gizmoskin. I have three Vajas or order
Old 03-21-2006, 09:20 PM   #9
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c

If you ever need to unload one of those cases.....
Old 03-21-2006, 10:19 PM   #10
pyro451
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreenberg
I'll start a ranking system for any new case I review.

If I had to rank the cases I've reviewed in the past I'd probably do so as follows:

Fortte Vertical Pouch -
RIM Pouch with Clip -
Gizmoskin -
Plastic Holster -
Nutshell -
Sport Foam Holster -
RIM Rugged Case -
Krusell Universal Horizontal -

P.S. jibi, no comment.

Nitty, honestly right now I own three cases. The RIM Pouch, Fortte Vertical and the Gizmoskin. I have three Vajas or order
What...no Fortte vertical STi? I am so dissappointed
Old 03-21-2006, 10:21 PM   #11
lgreenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro451
What...no Fortte vertical STi? I am so dissappointed
I'll have one with the ratcheting clip to review soon.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:17 PM   #12
yustonuser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Larry - very interesting you rate the RIM leather higher then the updated Gizmo. Your review for the updated Gizmo seemed more positive than the one for the RIM case. You really like the RIM more?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:19 PM   #13
Lex Luthor

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

Quote:
L...

I can see it now:

"Hi I'm lgreenberg and I'm a case-a- no wait change that I'm an accessory-a-holic"

From now before I buy anything I'm gonna have to make sure it's been lgreenberg approved or else I won't buy it.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:28 PM   #14
That70sGAdawg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9670
Carrier: Sprint

How can they call it a Gixmo"skin", when it's just another bland leather pouch with a non-removable clip?
I'm quite happy with my Sena case- flips open and stays protected while using it. If you have to remove it from a pouch to use it, you could drop it - unprotected.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:57 AM   #15
udontknowjack
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile

I, too, got the latest version of Gizmoskin's case. He sent it to me because I had expressed my displeasure with earlier models. I agree 100%. This latest version is one I can use and am comfortable recommending to people. I can't say that about the first 2 versions I got from him. I tried to pull the case apart and couldn't do it. I also feel the 8700 actually fits this case better as well. Lesson learned, always go back to the supplier with your complaints and give them a chance to make it right before giving up on someone. Customer service has been the absolute best and he came through with what he said hew would do, give me a case I can be happy with.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:56 AM   #16
lgreenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by yustonuser
Larry - very interesting you rate the RIM leather higher then the updated Gizmo. Your review for the updated Gizmo seemed more positive than the one for the RIM case. You really like the RIM more?
It's 100% because of the clip.

I just don't have enough faith in the Gizmoskin clip. Maybe after some use my mind will get set at ease and I'll adjust my ratings.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:26 AM   #17
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Default Clip news

He is planning on a new locking clip. I am excited about this new clip as the new case is really great. If the clip locked it would be a real winner.

Quote:
It's 100% because of the clip.

I just don't have enough faith in the Gizmoskin clip. Maybe after some use my mind will get set at ease and I'll adjust my ratings.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:03 AM   #18
lgreenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
He is planning on a new locking clip. I am excited about this new clip as the new case is really great. If the clip locked it would be a real winner.
Not sure he wanted that information released........

Better ask.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:13 AM   #19
BBRaffey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Lock how? Larry describes how the ratchet on this case keeps it in place. Do you mean lock on the belt like the Fortte clip? Will it be a fixed or removable clip system? Also, I do not see why we have to go through all these ratchet stops when turning the case (OEM or Gizmo), it seemss to me that the majority of us want either true vertical or horizontal. Who wants to wear it at an angle? I have both the OEM and Fortte vertical. I like the construction and look of the OEM a bit better and the fact that it does not flop around on the swivel like the Fortte. I like the way the Fortte comes off its clip without having to wiggle the clip off the belt every time as doing this tends to put little scratches on fine leather belts that add up over time. What I would really like now is a brown horizontal case for summer that has a low profile and does not swivel or spin, and has the flap on the top. Gizmo and OEM require you to remove the BB from the side if you put them in horizontal position which I consider a less than ideal. I am loking forward to Fortte's new clip system that they are promising.

As for the Vaja cases, they look absolutely beautiful on the website and I am eagerly awaiting Larry's review to see if they are worth their extremely high price. Specifically, I want to see what he thinks of their clip system which I find a bit confusing.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:16 AM   #20
BBRaffey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Not sure he wanted that information released........

Better ask.
Too late now, the cat's out of the bag. Maybe Gizmo himself will post an answer. He takes a bit longer to customize based on customer reviews, but his service is first rate and he may be worth waiting for.