BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 11:21 AM   #1
Wiseass
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9850
PIN: k Floyd \m/ ROCK!
Carrier: VZW
Default Treo 650 With Blackberry Connect - Setup on BES?

Please Login to Remove!

We have a user who just got one of these last week, apparently they're out already, I heard later on (April/May) but didn't realize it'd be this soon. We don't have one in-house here to test with and I've heard they're not that great. How can we go about setting him up on our BES? Do I just add him like normal and is there an enterprise activation he can go through? I doubt I can get the user to send the unit in, and we really don't want to support it, but since he went out and got one on his own we're sort of sucking it up a bit and saying yeah, we'll support him, but no more until we know how well/if it even works.

Anyone ever setup one of these with a BES? We're using Domino if that makes a diff, but all I've ever setup have been RIM only BB devices.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:30 PM   #2
T-Roy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Darth Vader

I am not sure, but I think it should have come with a Desktop Manager type application - it would use a cradle activation method I beleive. From the BES there is nothing special.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:49 PM   #3
cbass98
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100t
Carrier: Tmobile

Can you tell us where he got it from?
Old 03-27-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
murpheous
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass98
Can you tell us where he got it from?

Please do. I just searched the innanet and came up empty
Old 03-27-2006, 09:55 PM   #5
Wiseass

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Roy
I am not sure, but I think it should have come with a Desktop Manager type application - it would use a cradle activation method I beleive. From the BES there is nothing special.
the problem is we tell them not to use the cradle/desktop manager, they're remote users in the field so they won't even have a way to connect to the server. I'm just wondering if there's an enterprise activation type thing?

As to the question as to where he got it, I'm not sure, hes canadian and I checked the rogerswireless, fido, telus and bell websites, nothing listed on those.

I also checked futureshop and bestbuy sites as well and dont see any Blackberry connect option on there for the Treo 650s it's possible they just havn't updated their sites yet.

I'll send him an email and see where he purchased it.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:17 PM   #6
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

are you absolutely sure he's telling the truth?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:24 AM   #7
Wiseass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
are you absolutely sure he's telling the truth?
Not entirely, I havn't talked to the guy, just gotten the email. I saw the reports said first quarter '06 for the release, so it's entirely possible the guy has no idea what he's talking about.

At this point I'm leaning more towards the fact that he doesn't know lol.

I even went as far to call several of the Futureshop and Best Buys up there in canuckistan and they either have no idea what im talking about, or the one or two that did said it wasn't out yet.

I'm thinking this guy is just crazy.

I'll post more info if he ever replies to my email.

edit: Is the Blackberry Connect an OS update on the 650s when it becomes available? Maybe someone had told him to get it as it would be able to support Blackberry Connect eventually?

Maybe he's just misinformed?
Old 03-29-2006, 01:12 PM   #8
Wiseass

Okay, update here since I'm sure everyone's been wondering, apparently the guy doesn't know what he's talking about, it's a regular Palm Treo 650 with Telus.

He was told by the sales rep that the Blackberry support would be an upgrade they can do so he doesn't have to get a new device.

I've researched and looked everywhere, I see talk of a 650 WITH Blackberry Connect coming out soon, but will this be a OS update the users will have to do? Or do they need a new device?
Old 03-29-2006, 05:54 PM   #9
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

it will be a ROM update from what i understand - software only
Old 03-29-2006, 07:24 PM   #10
Wiseass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
it will be a ROM update from what i understand - software only
Okay so he wont need to get another Treo 650, just get the software update. I guess thats good news that it "will eventually work" I just wish the sales people wouldn't sell these things with the pretense that they will eventually be able to use em.

Now this guy is stuck with this thing for god knows how long until they release the update, whenever that may be.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:02 PM   #11
dwaltuck

Default BB Connect on Treo 650

Blackberry Connect for the Treo 650 hit Usenet yesterday.

It is a single executable "bbinstaller.exe", which does two things - installs "Blackberry Connect Desktop for Palm" and "Versamail setup" on your pc, and upgrades several of apps on the Treo, including the calendar and versamail.

Treo footprint is 4MB.

I have a Blackberry 7290 also, so I've been trying to convert my BES account from the client side (Sys Admins at my company have been historically anti-Treo, so I'm holding off on calling them for now). I was able to tell BES to have Exchange use the new "PIN" on my Treo, which seemed to work fine, but I'm getting no mail still...
Old 04-25-2006, 12:45 PM   #12
cschrage

Model: 9700
Carrier: TMO

I pulled my initial reply...NA

Last edited by cschrage; 04-25-2006 at 03:35 PM..
Old 04-26-2006, 11:12 AM   #13
Chris Taylor

Model: 8310
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseass
We have a user who just got one of these last week, apparently they're out already, I heard later on (April/May) but didn't realize it'd be this soon. We don't have one in-house here to test with and I've heard they're not that great. How can we go about setting him up on our BES? Do I just add him like normal and is there an enterprise activation he can go through? I doubt I can get the user to send the unit in, and we really don't want to support it, but since he went out and got one on his own we're sort of sucking it up a bit and saying yeah, we'll support him, but no more until we know how well/if it even works.

Anyone ever setup one of these with a BES? We're using Domino if that makes a diff, but all I've ever setup have been RIM only BB devices.
From an administrative perspective, you only have to do three things.

1) Ensure that your BES is running some flavour of the BES v4.0x for Domino software.

2) Ensure that the BES is using 3DES or AES and 3DES encryption. BB Connect for Palm OS does not support AES alone.

3) Register user on the BES as per normal procedure.

After you've done this the user should install the BB Connect client using the BBInstaller.exe file. This executable will first install the BBC for Palm client to the T650 (following a hotsync of course). The T650 will reset after Palm software install. Then the desktop installer will continue and it will install the BBC for Palm Desktop client on the user's workstation. It will also complete an over-the-wire Enterprise Activation (requiring a second hotsync).

After these steps are complete, check the BES account for the user and you should see that Service Books and IT policies have been pushed to and received by the T650 device. Note that no other asset-specific information (hardware type, software version, etc) will be available.

The user should now be able to send and receive messages/calendar updates, and perform remote lookups on your Domino Directory. His Personal Address Book, To Do and Journal/Memo entries must still sync over the wire using EasySync or something similar.

The BBC setup guide and BBC user guide are available at Palm Singapore's website, but these cover the desktop installer and on-device client functions only.

Certain BES admin functions, like disable and wipe device, also function for the T650. Other functions (like require device password, password complexity, etc) do not.

Last edited by Chris Taylor; 04-26-2006 at 11:18 AM..
Old 04-26-2006, 11:17 AM   #14
cschrage

Chris - thanks for the information

Question - the sim I currently have in the Treo 650 has Cingular unlimited data for BES. I need to have that switched to blackberry connect unlimited plan (SOC code KRB4), correct?
Old 04-26-2006, 11:19 AM   #15
Chris Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaltuck
Blackberry Connect for the Treo 650 hit Usenet yesterday.

It is a single executable "bbinstaller.exe", which does two things - installs "Blackberry Connect Desktop for Palm" and "Versamail setup" on your pc, and upgrades several of apps on the Treo, including the calendar and versamail.
You can also download it from Palm Singapore's website by entering your Treo serial number.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:26 AM   #16
Chris Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschrage
Chris - thanks for the information

Question - the sim I currently have in the Treo 650 has Cingular unlimited data for BES. I need to have that switched to blackberry connect unlimited plan (SOC code KRB4), correct?
For my own carrier in Canada, I had to add a BB-specific data plan. The regular data plan was "walled off" from RIM's blackberry.net servers. Cingular may require something similar. If your SIM already has a BB data SOC I don't see why you'd have to switch to a BB Connect-specific plan. I'd try it first with the current plan and see.

You'll know if it requires a plan switch because the BB Connect client on the device will cancel the GPRS connection almost immediately when you try to initiate BB Connect service.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:55 AM   #17
cschrage

In regards to...

I set some of my users up for full wireless and some for hard connections via the BDM.
When I add the user to my Exchange BES...Do set them up for a hard activation and synch or full/partial wireless?

Thanks
Old 04-26-2006, 12:38 PM   #18
Chris Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschrage
In regards to...

I set some of my users up for full wireless and some for hard connections via the BDM.
When I add the user to my Exchange BES...Do set them up for a hard activation and synch or full/partial wireless?

Thanks
Enterprise Activation has to occur over the wire on 650s during the second sync of the BBC Desktop install, there is no alternative.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:40 PM   #19
cschrage

That's what I figured...

My 650 is now "up and running" on my BES

Thanks for all your assistance.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:07 PM   #20
cschrage

The browser on the 650 will not connect.

Connecting to GPRS...
Signing On...
Cancelling!

In addition, I can't send or receive pics on the device.

Maybe I do the need...blackberry connect unlimited plan (SOC code KRB4)?
Closed Thread