BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 04:48 PM   #1
alslsb
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
PIN: erest
Carrier: Verizon
Default Who is the best USA BB Provider???

Please Login to Remove!

I am a Nextel 7520 user on the iDen network. Since iDen is dying, and it appears there will be no new Nextel BB's, and I do not like Sprint, (catch breath here), what USA provider of BB's is the best for quality and price???
Old 07-03-2006, 04:50 PM   #2
rmalm
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T

I believe that Cingular is the best mobile service provider but I can't compare its BB service with other carriers.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:50 PM   #3
lgreenberg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

Which ever one provides the best overall level of coverage in the exact areas you travel to.

Bottom line, no one here can say which provider is "best." Are some cheaper than others? Sure. But what's free service if you can't get coverage anywhere.

Do you know anyone with Blackberry service in the area you live? Talk to them. Find out what their coverage is like. That's where I'd start.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
thatboiwes
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Torch
PIN: 22D1C6A9
Carrier: at&t

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700c: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Although there are several questions just like this that have been asked, I'll go ahead and put in my .02.

I have Cingular and have had no problem with them. The unlimited data plan is a little higher than T-Mobile's but T-Mobile doesn't get service around here.

I would recomend Cingular even though I've had nothing to compare it with.

If you do a search you will find a lot more information about this subject.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:13 PM   #5
adamlau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Sprint

I have Cingular, but may have to go with Verizon on this one if I were to choose RIGHT NOW as they have integrated Yahoo! mail support as well as EV-DO. Coverage issues notwithstanding.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:30 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

As LGreenberg said, you have to consider the following:

1) Do I need to travel outside of North America (If yes, Verizon ruled out)
2) What carrier is "best" (very subjective) where you live, where you commute, where you work and where you travel to.

Answer those two questions and you have a better chance of picking the right carrier for you.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:14 PM   #7
gcaz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Sprint

Wondering -- why doesn't Sprint get much play here in the forums?
Old 07-03-2006, 06:48 PM   #8
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

Nextel/T-Mo/Cingular - all have swappable SIM cards, so you can switch to new or replacement devices without reactivating

T-Mo - is going to have the lowest voice and data rates.

T-Mo - is going to have the worst coverage for most places.

Cingular and T-Mo are going to have the best international coverage (or coverage at all). Plus if you can unlock the phones, you can use them with prepaid SIMs for inexpensive voice service (no data).

Verizon and Sprint - both have fast EV-DO data server (faster than EDGE on T-Mo and Cingular. But UMTS/HSDPA service is probably coming soon for T-Mo and Cingular.

T-Mo and Cingular - both have the 8700 BB. Yay!

Verizon at least has the 7130.

My vote is for Cingular based on quality and price. It you are used to the great coverage of iDEN, T-Mo limited coverage may not be acceptable to you, especially for fringe areas.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:54 PM   #9
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I must agree with the advice given by LGreenberg abd NJBlackberry. The best customer service and the lowest rates won't do you any good if you have no signal.

In addition, I think Aroc also gave a pretty good rundown in his post.

I have Cingular as my primary and for the BB and carry Verizon for those areas where Cingular has poor coverage.

Just remember, you get what you pay for, no matter what it is.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:05 PM   #10
k40jeep
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

well sprints bigger on the treo front and just startin with the bb.

My two cents...well obviously I am gonna say go with verizon since I work for them. I personally believe they have the best coverage. There rates a little higher sometimes but you get what you pay for in life. Oh and I am pretty sure Cingular just got rated as the worst....yeah I am pretty sure about that.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:35 PM   #11
phillyslickster

Model: 8320
PIN: 242a22a7
Carrier: T-Mobile

With T-Mobile, as long as you have one of the newer phones that include the 850 MHz band, then you'll get coverage on those "fringe" areas. It'll roam on Cingular.

Get a friend or co workers phone on the weekend during the unlimited time and ask if you can use it. Ask him or her where they travel nationally and internationally. See what they're coverage is like. See if they work, play, or travel in any of the areas that you do.

Using the service for the various carriers yourself will be very helpful to you. Seeing is believing.

Good luck on your quest.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:56 PM   #12
jwh463
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Tmobile worx great in DFW, love it
Old 07-03-2006, 10:01 PM   #13
tamaraa

Model: 7130e

I personally like my Sprint but as stated previously I have nothing to compare it to...well that's not totally true my co worker has T mobile and has thrown her BB into a wall before because of problems with it and hasn't even figured out how to get her outlook mail to push to it.

Bottom line...I love my 7130e with Sprint service.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:03 PM   #14
alslsb

Model: Class
PIN: erest

Thanks for the through answer Arco .
Old 07-04-2006, 02:50 AM   #15
aviationwiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I have had T-Mobile (7230) and Verizon (7250.)

I currently have Verzion and love them, T-Mobile was nice and cheap, but was horribly slow, and the coverage absolutely sucked here in Minneapolis!

Verizon charges a bit more, but it's fast, and I've been able to use it everywhere I've needed to, from my friends basement and the Mall of America (neither had acceptable T-Mobile coverage) to roaming (free) up in Brainerd, MN.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:48 AM   #16
Wishdemon

I have to agree with NJ....you specifically need to look at where you live, what the coverage is there from the providers, and also the features you are looking for.

In my opinion, I think coverage can outweight many features that you may get from another company....because as other people have stated, even with all the features in the world....if you're out of coverage/service then they will do you no good.

Each service provider can provide good service in some areas. Go to NYC for example and its doubtful that something will NOT work....why? Because it is such a metropolitan/important area that every service provider aims to provide service there. Where you live, it may be a different story.

Ask your friends/coworkers/neighbors about their service, look at each providers features, and even try the 15 day or 30 day trial period if you want to test something. I know that cingular offers 30 days to try and return if you wanted and I think t-mo and nextel offer 15 days.

As for me, if you are in the DC area (where I am) it depends on whether you use the metro - the smartest thing the DC metro (train) has done is integrate with verizon - you can get full service on the train, even underground. Thats the one thing I missed from leaving verizon. If you dont, I think t-mo can offer pretty good service here, especially after I have compared it to my friends with cingular and sprint.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:16 AM   #17
dkf747
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8520
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishdemon
As for me, if you are in the DC area (where I am) it depends on whether you use the metro - the smartest thing the DC metro (train) has done is integrate with verizon - you can get full service on the train, even underground. Thats the one thing I missed from leaving verizon. If you dont, I think t-mo can offer pretty good service here, especially after I have compared it to my friends with cingular and sprint.

Hope this helps.
I think it sucks that only Verizon is allowed to provide service on Metro. Others should be allowed to provide service too.

That said, I'm happy with T-Mobile here in DC area. TMO has also worked well on every trip I have taken so far. I'm happy with them.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:45 AM   #18
Wishdemon

I think that'll change as the markets become more competitive....or if it ever happens, theres more integration between all the networks...give it ten years
Old 07-04-2006, 08:27 PM   #19
celltester

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Alltel
Default What about Alltel?

And don't forget...if you have an Alltel in your area, check into it. Not as big of a customer base as some of the other companies(ie., cingular, Verizon) but, they do have the largest coverage network IN the USA. Their Unlimited data plan is middle of the road on price, I have had it over a year, and they keep me updated on firmware availability, and have NEVER had any server issues with my devices....just thought I would throw that in
Old 07-05-2006, 07:48 AM   #20
Wishdemon

Question

I never knew Alltel had data plans....and how do you know that they have the best network in the US? If I remember correctly, cingular is having problems because of some of their claims of being the largest/least dropped calls or something like.
Closed Thread