Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
sjsilverman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile & China Mobile
Default 8100 is OK, but isn't wowing me

Please Login to Remove!

Hey all. Thought I would give my 2 cents. I got my 8100 yesterday morning at the T-Mobile retail store in downtown Miami. I played iwth it for a few minutes in the store first, and my initial reaction was I wasn't in love, but would buy it to play for a bit. I've been using a 7130g for the past several months and do love that. Only problem is the unsolved problem of not getting the IPPP for BIBS service book, and therefore missing some features. I figured I'd get the 8100 when it came out.

So, my observations:

Keyboard is too small for any real emailing
"Pearl" trackball is kind of a pain, but I am getting used to it.
Bluetooth synch and DUN works great
Screen is just too small
Themes are OK, but I still use Pocketday Pro, rather than the Today theme
Volumes are too low across the board.
Camera is fun gadget, but after the novelty wears off, I'm not sure I'll care
I LOVE the voice activation, but again, this might be a novelty that will wear out.

Overall, I guess its a nice unit, but if I could get all the service books into my 7130, and upgrade to OS 4.2 when it is released, I think I would be more satisfied. If the 8800 is scaled down respectively, that might become the ultimate BB for me.

You are welcome to your own opinions, but these are mine. I'll probably hold on to it for a few days, since I have 14 to check it out, and then make a decision as to whether to keep it or not.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:44 AM   #2
mpallo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

Played with one at my store yesterday. Did not fall in love with it as I thought I would. The shiny polished chrome looked a bit cheap looking.

I am a bit concerned how the scroll wheel is going to withstand my pocket after taking it in and out. I also did not like the jiggle and play in the keys.

Maybe I just need to play with one for a day and get used to it. I will probably get one.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:45 AM   #3
findmywife
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-Mobile

Screen is small cause it's a small phone.
I'm left handed so the trackball is a godsend. But I don't like "clicking" it in, it often moves when you're on a message while you click, so you click the wrong one. I guess sensitivity could be adjusted a little.
Bluetooth I don't use.
Keyboard is fine for me, it is smaller, and feels very cheap and plasticy and sometimes the keys feel like they stick in and "click" out as you type. The size is no issue though.
Themes all suck, I can't wait for a basic text only one. I hate icons. Blackberry has none for download at the moment.
Volume seems way better than my 7130g (I could never hear it ring, or people on the phone).
Camera quality is terrible, lighting is essential, but it gets the job done for what you need it for, taking a picture of a traffic accident or something like that where you wouldn't normally have a phone.
Voice activation don't use, don't care.

My rebuttal!
Old 09-13-2006, 11:56 AM   #4
bperkins

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

The screen is the same size as the 7130g. So do you feel the same way about your 7130?
Old 09-13-2006, 12:40 PM   #5
datafirm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: New ATT because of iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bperkins
The screen is the same size as the 7130g. So do you feel the same way about your 7130?
Im pretty certain the 8100 has a narrower screen.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:52 PM   #6
sjsilverman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/1)

I compared them side by side and the 8100 definitely has a smaller screen
Old 09-13-2006, 01:00 PM   #7
rookie1082
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Tmobile

8100 has a smaller screen, but the same resolution - therefore making it appear sharper and crisper. The actual dimensions of the screen are small though.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:00 PM   #8
findmywife
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: t-Mobile

It is smaller, I have both on my desk and the 8100 screen is smaller than the 7130g.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:38 PM   #9
matdavis

Model: 7230
Carrier: T-Mobile

I got mine yesterday, too, and almost took it back yesterday afternoon but decided that I ought to give it a few days before deciding whether or not to exchange it for an 8700.

I've had a 7230 for several years and wanted the upgrade primarily for a faster CPU, more memory, and a faster network. I've used a 7100 to test software at work and like its form factor, and SureType worked well for me.

At this point, I'm not really impressed with the 8100. The small size is nice in a way, but I think it may be a little *too* small for me. I haven't had any problem with the 7100 keyboard, but the 8100's is just enough smaller that I semi-regularly am hitting two keys instead of one.

I'm also having trouble adjusting to the trackball and menu key. Clicking the trackball sometimes does something immediately and sometimes brings up a reduced menu, and I'm not yet completely adapted to pressing the menu key instead of clicking the trackball. Scrolling down, moving to the menu key to click, then moving back to the trackball to select the menu item and click it doesn't seem nearly as smooth as rolling a wheel, clicking, rolling again, and clicking again.

Finally, to me, the 8100 doesn't feel as solidly built as the other BBs I've used. The plastic seems thinner, the keyboard keys feel less solid, and the shiny finish everywhere seems as if it would get scratches more than the other BBs (not to mention that the screen seems to really show fingerprints and smudges).

At this point I'm trying to wait until Friday to swap it for an 8700, but if I hadn't left the box at home today I might have given in and done it this afternoon.

There *are* some very nice things about the phone, but I just don't think it's the model for me. It would probably appeal to someone "moving up" from a cell phone more than someone who's in the habit of using one of the older BBs.

Just my $0.02, though; might be perfect for lots of people.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:42 PM   #10
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

matdavis, I can see what you're getting at. I'm waiting for my beta to arrive (UK has to wait a little longer) and I can see myself coming to the same conclusions you have. I too think it will be the bridge for the normal mobile phone user to BlackBerry, not for the die hard oldy BlackBerry user!

Old 09-13-2006, 02:30 PM   #11
bperkins

Sorry guys I was going on the resolution....thanks for pointing that out.

I swear I was so excited for this device, but all of the negative reviews/comments (signal strength, cheap keyboard, etc.) I will likely return it as soon as it arrives tomorrow.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:41 PM   #12
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

Give it time. I like mine. I will keep it unless I have any major problems etc. The phone is much better then my 8700c. Just have to get used to the suretype.

The biggest complaint sbout the pearl muting the phone when in pocket can easily be fixed in a software upgrade. I am sure RIM will fix it and any other minor software bugs.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:20 PM   #13
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: FFFFFFF

I find the longer you have it the more you hate it, day I got it I was thrilled, then you realize there is nothing that earth shattering, anyone notice the slowness of the OS on simple tasks?

The Boy Genius Report
Old 09-13-2006, 04:26 PM   #14
pipermalibu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Default My .03

I have had mine only 24 hours, and am coming from a 8700. I am a guy that likes things SMALL!!! I have a SLVR that I carry at all times, and find that carrying a 8700 is just too big. I think guys (no offense to any of you) that have a phone hanging on a belt to look like complete pocket protector wearing geeks. (ok, maybe I did offend, just trying to make a point) - I want push email, quick surfing for information, and a phone that will bluetooth sync to my car. The 8100 fits the bill perfect. Its slightly SMALLER than a SLVR in length and just a credit card thickness thicker.
When they make a phone that rolls up, THAT will be the perfect phone.

I say all this and I can not even sync it to my beloved Macintosh environment. I have to use my crappy PC to get syncing done for now. But the form factor is worth it.

I agree that the PEARL scroll wheel takes a little getting used to, but I think it will be an overall improvement on the scroll wheel in the end.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:47 PM   #15
sjsilverman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Genius
I find the longer you have it the more you hate it, day I got it I was thrilled, then you realize there is nothing that earth shattering, anyone notice the slowness of the OS on simple tasks?
BG, you hit it right on the head. My learning curve came quickly: It is going back to the store tomorrow. I think T-Mobile is making a huge mistake with not carrying the 7130g in addition to the 8100 and 8700. The 7130g is the perfect replacement for my over-the-hill 7105. I don't like speaking into a calculator (8700), but need something with bigger keys and screen than the 8100, since I do use it for a significant amount of email. I have had mine for 3 months or so, and I love it. I just wish I could get all the service books so I could have all the functionality.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:51 PM   #16
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

I agree I would never wear anyhting on a belt as it looks ridiculous. The 8700 is plain ugly compared to the Pearl. Only thing I miss about the 8700 is the keyboard. Hope they come out with a qwerty Pearl soon.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:55 PM   #17
painpour
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: 321859CA
Carrier: SPRINT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipermalibu
I have had mine only 24 hours, and am coming from a 8700. I am a guy that likes things SMALL!!! I have a SLVR that I carry at all times, and find that carrying a 8700 is just too big. I think guys (no offense to any of you) that have a phone hanging on a belt to look like complete pocket protector wearing geeks. (ok, maybe I did offend, just trying to make a point) - I want push email, quick surfing for information, and a phone that will bluetooth sync to my car. The 8100 fits the bill perfect. Its slightly SMALLER than a SLVR in length and just a credit card thickness thicker.
When they make a phone that rolls up, THAT will be the perfect phone.

I say all this and I can not even sync it to my beloved Macintosh environment. I have to use my crappy PC to get syncing done for now. But the form factor is worth it.

I agree that the PEARL scroll wheel takes a little getting used to, but I think it will be an overall improvement on the scroll wheel in the end.
I agree totally!!!
Old 09-13-2006, 04:59 PM   #18
kmccarthy

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

I am getting mine today!!!
Old 09-13-2006, 05:57 PM   #19
NEXQUIN
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520
Carrier: NEXTEL

Anybody use the mp3 player?
Old 09-13-2006, 05:59 PM   #20
NEXQUIN
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520
Carrier: NEXTEL

Also, what BIS version is it using? I noticed that yahoo, etc are able to have email sent to the bb but I'm sure its a newer version.
Closed Thread