BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Is it just me?
Yes... There's always this many N00B's with a new BB release 5 23.81%
Yes... You are just being paranoid. 5 23.81%
Yes 3 14.29%
No... I agree, I'm surprised Paris Hilton isn't wandering around the forum. 6 28.57%
No... This consumer market is tough! 1 4.76%
No 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 03:14 AM   #1
BES admin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T
Cool I hope it was worth it RIM.

Please Login to Remove!

<HEADER>
"Be careful what you wish for..."
</HEADER>

<RANT>
RIM really wanted a slice of the whiney, pimple faced consumer kid market...

or the Snobby rich kid (Paris "I'm the scarecrow" Hilton) market...

Is it me or is there a RASH of posts whining about everything from feature to form with the new 8100?

It's making me a little sick to my stomach. I know this forum is here to help folks out, no doubt, but we need to hire a few baby sitters now too?

No offense to long-time members who understand the Blackberry Niche, young and old. No offense to those with valid questions and pleas for help.

</RANT>

I hope it was worth it RIM (and maybe it was).
Old 09-27-2006, 05:16 AM   #2
icepulse
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100T
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES admin
<HEADER>
"Be careful what you wish for..."
</HEADER>

<RANT>
RIM really wanted a slice of the whiney, pimple faced consumer kid market...

or the Snobby rich kid (Paris "I'm the scarecrow" Hilton) market...

Is it me or is there a RASH of posts whining about everything from feature to form with the new 8100?

It's making me a little sick to my stomach. I know this forum is here to help folks out, no doubt, but we need to hire a few baby sitters now too?

No offense to long-time members who understand the Blackberry Niche, young and old. No offense to those with valid questions and pleas for help.

</RANT>

I hope it was worth it RIM (and maybe it was).
Would you please change your profile image? It's offending the hell out of me.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:36 AM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

You want cheese with that whine?

There are ALWAYS new users, with issues "Dust in the 8700" at every new product launch. Every one.

And please change your avatar.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:45 AM   #4
Ninjatek
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Tmobile

I personally would not mind the onslaught of new users with questions with one small caveat.

Grammer, Spelling, complete thoughts, and reading what you are about to post before posting it!

Seriously, it's getting ridiculous. The part that saddens me the most is that I know a good percentage of these posts are not coming from 14 year olds needing assitance with their 'hot new toyz'. Full grown adults capable of complete sentances are cluttering up threads with inane reply's.

I realize my spelling may be attrocious at times, but at least I take a moment to make sure my posts are legible.

End of rant.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:34 AM   #5
rjharary

Carrier: Bell South

Stop complaining, dont forget that you were young once. BES, that avatar is disgusting buddy, I thought you were a church going man, didnt you drop the Pearl in a church toilet?

Last edited by rjharary; 09-27-2006 at 09:36 AM..
Old 09-27-2006, 09:34 AM   #6
zero1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

although i may have voted that i agree, although this topic is somewhat of a double edged sword....

when i bought my first Blackberry (Tmo 7100t) I came to this forum just like all these noobies - looking to find out more and get help with problems/questions. and only because of the helpful information and forum members did i keep coming back. we have to take in mind that because of the constant growth and awareness of Blackberry/RIM we will see more and more noobies, which although come with ridiculous questions/requests (lack of search feature syndrome) are still new and are hoping to get the support and guidance weve all experienced. So i dont think its fair to flame noobies for being noobies - it should be more of stupidness flame.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:01 AM   #7
KeithJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Tmobile

I'm new to the forum and new to blackberries. I was looking for a smart phone to use with my business, work, and personal use. After using and MDA, Sidekick, and so many other PDA phone's... I never really considered a blackberry until the 8700g, I was about to purchase it until I heard rumors about the pearl. I wanted a phone that DIDN'T have a touchscreen (hate them) and that was portable and had a lot of features...so I decided on the Pearl and I have not one regret. I think this is a great forum for information and I found it while I was waiting on my phone to be delivered, I'm a member of several other forums, so I see "Noobs" a lot, I think everyone was a Noob once and you really should consider that before you get upset about a "dumb" question to you. I say if the question has been answered numerous times, link to the proper thread or search and close it. I really hope this phone doesn't turn into a Razr, though. It's a really great piece of equipment.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:12 AM   #8
shickey
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjatek
I personally would not mind the onslaught of new users with questions with one small caveat.

Grammer, Spelling, complete thoughts, and reading what you are about to post before posting it!
I realize my spelling may be attrocious at times, but at least I take a moment to make sure my posts are legible.

Not to pick nits, but I believe it's gramm*a*r. No offense...but you started it.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:38 AM   #9
BES admin

I am in agreement that this forum is very valuable to both n00b's and veterans.

I completely understand the "we were all N00B's once" statement and I agree that despite somewhat repetative questions by the old and new members, the forum is here to help. I can relate to alot of the questions posted here, having been the N00B on the block just a few moths ago.

My rant isn't about N00B's posting repetative questions or what could be labled "silly questions." I have been a member here for a while and tried to answer questions with accuracy and provide helpful feedback to all questions which I could add something to.

It just seemed to me like there was more "whining" with the release of the 8100. I could be completely wrong, I guess that's why I put the poll up. If that's the case, then so be it. I'll be the first person to admit I was wrong.

...let the numbers speak for themselves.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:53 AM   #10
zero1
Thumbs Must Hurt

although you have to admit, you can understand why noobies are doing so much whining - the entire concept of the pearl is a new thing for RIM/Blackberry - when most of the consumer market is used to and has had several of the new features for quite some time with other products out in the market - so i can understand when the complaint is like saying "come on RIM, the technology is out there, it has been tested re-tested implemented reimplemented - cant you make it perfect" although, ive used a lot of the products out there - sidekick 1 2 3 - HP IPAQ PPC - TREO - RAZR - SLVR - an none i believe can match up to the capabilities and potential behind the Pearl - OS is intuitive - viewing/playing music great and seemless, picture quality (SK3 has same megapixel - nowhere near the qaulity on the BB) form factor - suretype(although not the best entry method-CoughqwertyCough) and the list can go on. on many of the products out there you have to put up with so many other barriers - such as incompatibility issues, OS and hardware failure, product does not deliver the same services, etc.....
i personally am very happy with the pearl (previously 8700) all it needs is the qwerty but at this point im so used to it that it doesnt even matter and it doesnt hurt that the phone is just plain sexy...im sorry for my rant but thats my 2 centavos
Old 09-27-2006, 11:02 AM   #11
BES admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
There are ALWAYS new users, with issues "Dust in the 8700" at every new product launch. Every one.
I had an 8700 and although I never experienced the Dust issue (I did have an early release with the holster magnet issue) I think that was a valid complaint, even if it was overstated a bit.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:02 AM   #12
ImagineParadise
Thumbs Must Hurt

'm going to apologize for my comment before making it...mainly for pointing out the obvious while trying to be as "civil" as possible.

People in general, whether you’re a "veteran" (get over yourself) or a "noob" to anything new will almost always have questions.

What do you think forums are for? Maybe to comment on how "sweet" the device looks?

Last edited by coreyg510; 09-27-2006 at 11:19 AM..
Old 09-27-2006, 11:18 AM   #13
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Please keep your posts professional and avoid personal attacks. It is perfectly fine to voice your opinion. However, I will not tolerate name calling or other insults. Everyone will feel welcome here.

Gecko
Old 09-27-2006, 11:19 AM   #14
BES admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineParadise
I'm going to apologize for my comment before making it...mainly for pointing out the obvious while trying to be as "civil" as possible.
Apology accepted and no offense taken. Everyone is entitled to their opinion... even you.

Quote:
I personally think you're being a d***. You're the one acting like the "pimple faced nerd" or "snobby rich kid" with this whining thread.
I've been accused of being a D*** before, I got over it then and I'll get over it again. By far a "rich kid" or a "pimple faced nerd" lamo.

Quote:
Anyone that can, tell me what this thread accomplishes besides making it painfully obvious that the thread starter is just complaining about the people who ask thread help questions and being a complete ass to those who ask for or are looking for answers to general help questions.
Maybe you didn't read the post accurately and maybe you missed subsequent posts I made... so I'll sumarize: I put up a poll. I wanted to know who agreed. You obviously don't, then vote. I don't have problems answering questions, "silly" or "repetative." I will say I have seen some posts you have made to this forum and they don't always seem "helpful." you have even been accused of not adding anything to a post but you had a lot to say.

-Link to Example -Link to another

Quote:
People in general, whether youxxx8217;re a "veteran" (get over yourself) or a "noob" to anything new will almost always have questions.
I agree completely (see previous posts). It's the whining I took issue with. like some of what you did in your first post to this particular thread. You must have been interested somewhat, you took the time to post to the thread.

Thanks for your comments.

Quote:
What do you think forums are for? Maybe to comment on how "sweet" the device looks?
I don't recall implying or saying anything remotely related to this.

Quote:
Go back to finishing school jerk.
What do you suggest I do if I already completed school?

Last edited by BES admin; 09-27-2006 at 11:35 AM..
Old 09-27-2006, 11:20 AM   #15
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyg510
Please keep your posts professional and avoid personal attacks. It is perfectly fine to voice your opinion. However, I will not tolerate name calling or other insults. Everyone will feel welcome here.

Gecko
Old 09-27-2006, 11:21 AM   #16
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

The beauty of this forum is the latitude for free choice. This not only includes the choice to post, but the choice to read what others have posted. When I run across something that is "old news" to me, I move on. My one minor complaint is those few who are so passionate to make a point that they post the same message in several threads. However, our Mods do a pretty nice job of addressing these.

Yeah, reading the rants can be tedious, but if it results in a solution for some options for someone, it's probably worth it in the long run.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:34 AM   #17
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

BES, there have been three polite requests in this thread (including one from a moderator) to quit using the objectionable avatar picture you're posting. Make that four requests now with mine. Please remove that objectionable avatar!
Old 09-27-2006, 11:37 AM   #18
BES admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier
BES, there have been three polite requests in this thread (including one from a moderator) to quit using the objectionable avatar picture you're posting. Make that four requests now with mine. Please remove that objectionable avatar!
Thanks, I've already talked with the mods.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:41 AM   #19
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

As this thread is going no where it is time to close it.

**Thread Closed**