Old 09-27-2006, 10:56 PM   #1
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile
Default My review on the Shield Zone (Invisible Shield) for 8100

Please Login to Remove!

My review on the Shield Zone (Invisible Shield) for 8100

I am impressed by it. It have pieces to cover almost everything on the 8100. The only thing I am surprised is, they don't have a piece to cover the top end of the phone. I think they must have overlooked that part.

Ease of Installation xxx8211; 2 ½ out of 5 stars

You definitely need the time and patience to install it. It's not easy to put it on. It's a good thing they have a video (on their website) and written instructions on how to put it on.

Only complaint I have is, they give you a small bottle to use. If you follow exactly to instructions, you will find out you going to run out of solution before you are done. It happen to me so I end up not using it for the thin strips that goes on the silver part of the phone.

After I finish installing it, it's not 100% perfect. It's more like 75% perfect. The main reason for me to get it is to protect it so even though it's not perfect at least my phone is now protected!

I will post pictures of it soon.

TIP:

Since they give you a small bottle, don't spray both sides of the shield which the instructions said. Instead, spray only one side of the shield. The side that will stick on the phone.

Also wait a few hours before you put the battery back in and power it back up. The reason is, just in case some solution get inside the phone, you should wait for it to dry out first.

Staying in place xxx8211; 4 ½ out of 5 stars

You have to make sure you don't make a mistake. Once it is on, it's on for good. I hard time fixing the mistakes I made.

Whoever said they had trouble getting it to stick on the phone, they either have dirty hands or their phone is not clean.

I even spray lots of solution on it and it still get stuck on the phone.

So BE VERY CAREFUL when you apply it on the phone. You will have a hard time fixing it if you made a mistake.

Durability xxx8211; 5 out of 5 stars

When I got it, the shield is quite thick. It's not thin. I could tell it was very well made and will hold up for a long time.

Overall xxx8211; 4 out of 5 stars

I definitely will recommend getting it. When it is time to sell your stuff, you will find out that you will get more money out of it.

Last edited by secrecyguy; 09-27-2006 at 10:58 PM..
Old 09-27-2006, 11:32 PM   #2
shaqinsactown
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon

Very nice review!
Old 09-27-2006, 11:48 PM   #3
Ljay
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks...review was extremely helpful...mine should be here tomorrow...according to tracking. I'm a little worried about the rounded edges on the phone. I watched the installation videos and the surfaces in the videos were pretty flat. I'll probably make a little of my own soap and water solution before I get started...just in case for the non adhesive side of the application.

ljay
Old 09-28-2006, 08:44 AM   #4
doppler

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I just put my Invisible Shield on my 8100 yesterday. I botched the installation, so now I have a small flap of the shield hanging over the trackball. I know this is going to peel off eventually.

Keep an eye on the notch cut into the Shield for the trackball. That should serve as your guide or anchor.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:14 AM   #5
rjharary
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Bell South

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler
I just put my Invisible Shield on my 8100 yesterday. I botched the installation, so now I have a small flap of the shield hanging over the trackball. I know this is going to peel off eventually.

Keep an eye on the notch cut into the Shield for the trackball. That should serve as your guide or anchor.
Only one peice came with mine, am I the only one?
Old 09-28-2006, 05:40 PM   #6
secrecyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjharary
Only one peice came with mine, am I the only one?
You may have got the wrong version.

Keep in mind, they sell two version of it for the 8100. One version to protect only the screen and another version to protect the entire phone.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:46 PM   #7
secrecyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljay
Thanks...review was extremely helpful...mine should be here tomorrow...according to tracking. I'm a little worried about the rounded edges on the phone. I watched the installation videos and the surfaces in the videos were pretty flat. I'll probably make a little of my own soap and water solution before I get started...just in case for the non adhesive side of the application.

ljay
I will not recommend using soap and water just in case some get inside the phone. It will take longer for it to dry out.

I recommend using Denatured Alcohol (if you can find it) (the best) or rubbing alcohol (not as good but still works).
Old 10-01-2006, 10:16 PM   #8
HoOnZ

Model: 8320

If I needed to sell my BB in the future, how hard would it be to take off?

- JOhn
Old 10-01-2006, 11:00 PM   #9
CableGuy711

it comes off pretty easy, its similar to those peal and stick window stickers
Old 10-01-2006, 11:49 PM   #10
SanFrancisco

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

Thanks for this post. I have installed screen protectors on all my devices since the day they invented screen protectors.

I am glad you went into detail on installation procedures. I probably would have blown it. And will?
Old 10-02-2006, 01:24 AM   #11
BlissX
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T

Unless they updated the side skin, I think BestSkin is the better alternative. I am deeplt disappointed with ShieldZone's rushed service for the 8100.

Getting a refund is also taking a bit longer than I expected...

Getting the shield off is simple, peel it off like a sticker. You might want to lightly wash off the phone. It'll feel slippery, barely.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:48 AM   #12
secrecyguy

ok... I got the pictures...

Unfortunely, the camera is a cheap camera. It does not take good pictures so I am going to return it and get another camera.

Anyway, here's the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S5030005a.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	5487   Click image for larger version

Name:	S5030006b.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	5488  
Old 10-02-2006, 12:28 PM   #13
dwc

Carrier: tmob

That seam running across the front below the T-mob-logo does not look cool. I think the BSE kit looks better - specifically around the bottom of the front panel where the t-mob logo is. The bestskins shield curves over the front in one piece.

Edit: also, on the back - does the shield go out all the way to the edge of the battery cover on the sides? It looks like it leaves a gap. The BSE kit goes all the way to the edge so that you don't notice the edge of the shield. It means you have to be patient and gentle when applying because you can't get it crooked, but once on it "diappears".

I'll try and post a pic tonight

Last edited by dwc; 10-02-2006 at 12:33 PM..
Old 10-02-2006, 04:50 PM   #14
billybish

Carrier: Tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc
That seam running across the front below the T-mob-logo does not look cool. I think the BSE kit looks better - specifically around the bottom of the front panel where the t-mob logo is. The bestskins shield curves over the front in one piece.

Edit: also, on the back - does the shield go out all the way to the edge of the battery cover on the sides? It looks like it leaves a gap. The BSE kit goes all the way to the edge so that you don't notice the edge of the shield. It means you have to be patient and gentle when applying because you can't get it crooked, but once on it "diappears".

I'll try and post a pic tonight
That's because he put it on wrong I guess - can't see any seams on mine, especially not on the tmo logo.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:57 PM   #15
CableGuy711

i really like my BSE Kit. I highly recommend it
Old 10-02-2006, 05:00 PM   #16
HoOnZ

Cool! I just bought a kit! I can't wait.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:04 AM   #17
BlissX
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybish
That's because he put it on wrong I guess - can't see any seams on mine, especially not on the tmo logo.
Still, in comparsion BSE has a total of one small seam and IS has two.

Being that I owned both, I recommend BSE as it protects more on the bottom and the entire back panel of the phone. If you care about the sides, and is willing to pay the extra $17 bucks, be my guest. I would have too, had the side skins been made with quality in mind.
Closed Thread