BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 10:02 PM   #1
bird95134

Model: 8700c
Default Email stops, key regeneration hangs

Please Login to Remove!

We are seeing some pretty strange behavior lately with Nextel Blackberry devices, but we have not fully concluded that this is only a Nextel (7100i or 7520) issue.

We are running BES 4.1 (SP1)/MS Exchange 2003, SP2. We are seeing users report email and other events stop. I.e. user can not receive email anymore -- stops at some random time, can not send messages. Here is were it gets really weird:

Troubleshooting:

1. Device is on network, i.e. can send/receive voice call.
2. Has browsers, can browse internet.
3. Remember, device was previously activated (enterprise activation) successully.
4. CAN SEND PIN to device.
5. CAN SEND/RECIEVE PIN to/from BB device to/from another BB device.
6. Go to regenerate encryption key (Options/Security Settings/General Settings/Desktop/Regenerate Encryption Key) --> operation starts process of regenerating key, but hangs and never finishes (many minutes).

We have tried soft resetting device (remove/replace battery), no change.
We have tried readio reset, then soft reset (as above), no change.

Performing a wipe handheld, delete user off of BES, and redo enterprise activation works.

We have a ticket open with RIM but have not heard anything -- yet...

Any ideas?

Anyone else seeing this? Perhaps an issue resolved in BES 4.1 SP2?

Thanks,
Old 10-31-2006, 10:09 AM   #2
sswlewnix

Model: 7520
Carrier: nextel/sprint
Default Having same problem

I am having the exact problem with a 7100i on Nextel. Did you get any answers yet?
Old 11-01-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
cbnsingram
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Cingular

Could be related to the Exchange server changes by microsoft that affected our Blackberry. Although, you seem to have slightly additional issues - here is the solution found on another forum. Also, look for the October 31st Microsoft update related to this. If the user once had protected group membership (domain admin, etc.) and now does not, you need to go in and re-check by hand for each user the "inherit permissions" selection, otherwise they will not retain the security settings you add in the solution below.

Here is the first part of what worked for us, found on pinstack.com. Part two is above.
=========================
Ok Folks,
After struggling with both Microsoft and Blackberry, here is the low down.

Exchange 2003 SP 2 changed the way send as work. So Blackberry Service account got locked out.

Solution:
Go to the AD Users & Computer.
Right Click on the domain, go the security tab,
select Advanced
Add the Blackberry service account
From the Applies Onto list, click User Objects select user objects
Give snd as permisions
Replicated if you have other ADs

Note:
If you can reboot your domain server and exchange servers, you donot have to wait and 1 hour to find out if it works.

If you find that the send as permision disappers from some users; especialy administrator type accounts, run
dsacls "cn=adminsdholder,cn=system,dc=mydomain,dc=com " /G "MYDOMAIN\BlackBerrySA :CA;Send As"

Note: In this command, MYDOMAIN\BlackBerrySA is a placeholder for the name of the BlackBerry Service account. Change it to represent the proper account name in use for this domain, also correct the MYDOMAIN portion to match the real local domain. Make sure that you do not add a space between BlackBerrySA and ":CA". Don't forget to replace the mydomain and com with the proper user local domain.

Also,
If you have a migrated AD, some accounts will not work. IF so go to the properties page of the user in AD.
In the Security tab, Advanced
Make sure to check the box that says "allow inheritaed permisions to propergate..."

If this done correctly, you can see from the user properties (of an effected person), Security/advanced tab/alonf the Blackberry service account/in the column for Inherited From;
;It will have the domain infomation there "DC=yourdomain,DC=COM"

This should fix every ones problems. Micorsoft has promissed me that they will update the article to relflect this information.
Sorry I could not reply on MOnday when I discovered this with MS.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
bird95134

Default RE: Email stops, key regeneration hangs Reply to Thread

Thanks for the info. I will have to have our exchange engineering group look into your ideas.

RIM has come back with mostly nothing as to what causes the problem, but have provided another approach to resolve, which we tried today with success. However, I am not convinced we are at the bottom of this problem -- just fixing symptoms.

Anyway,

When we see a user in this state, go to Service Books on the BB device, delete/undelete the desktop(CMIME) book. Wait a few minutes. Go back to re-generate key function.

We did this and it did work. Email did not flow immediately after. With the encryption key working, we resent the service books successfully. Did a radio reset and email began to work.

Again, I am not satisfied as we don't understand the root cause. We are planning on upgrading the BES system to 4.1 SP 2 shortly (this week) and then begin heavy handed troubleshooting with RIM/Microsoft (although, the other post from cbnsingram will be brought into our discussion this week).

-bird95134
Closed Thread