BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 05:20 AM   #1
groove_timer

Model: 8310
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Help resolving adding user from different site on Exchange 5.5

Please Login to Remove!

Hi was wondering if someone could help me with a problem we have trying to add a user in Blackberry Manager. I'll give a quick low-down on our email system:
Exchange 5.5, NT4.0, BES-4.0(on different server)
We have 1 organisation BIGJOE
We have 3 Sites Little MO, Little JO, & Little TOE
and 3 servers for each site.

We set up a BESAdmin mailbox on Little MO's server and if we add a user from this server it works fine but when we try to add a users mailbox from Little JO's site we can see them from the global address book but get the error "Failed to add user xxxxx to BES. Unable to open mailbox for user. The users mailbox may have been deleted."

I have been on to our providers Blackberry support, but not really had a straight forward answer from them. They seem to say that you need to have the same system manager permissions on each site and delegate control though they don't know how to do this on exchange 5.5. Looking at Little JO's Properties/Permissions, I already have BESAdmin added as a service account admin, which my Blackberry Support are also pointing me to.
Do we need to add another BESAdmin mailbox to each site?

Sorry if this explanation is abit confusing but i would be really grateful if anyone can put me in the right direction to getting this prob solved as my IT manager is breathing down my neck and im starting to think im the stupidest person alive.
Cheers
Old 04-05-2005, 05:51 AM   #2
groove_timer

i have ran the iemstest (IexchangeManageStore) and when i add any mailbox from Liitle Mo's it works fine but if we try to add a mailbox from the other 2 sites we get the error "OpenMsgStore failed <8004011d>

This is really driving me crazy any help pleeezze
Old 04-13-2005, 05:36 AM   #3
groove_timer

Have isolated the problem to exchange. When i try to connect to another site from exchange administration i get the following error:
A connection could not be made to the microsoft exchange server computer XX_XX_XX
The Microsoft exchange server computer does not respond.
Microsoft Exchange Directory
ID no: DS_E_COMMUNICATIONS_PROBLEM

Is this because we are using a server 2000 BES to connect to a NT4 exchange server. Reading on microsofts website it seems you need a patch but they no longer support NT4.
Have tried to put the BES software 4.0 onto a NT4 machine but it wont go on. Is there any way to do this?
Old 04-13-2005, 05:57 AM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

You have to ensure that the BES Service Account has read/write access to the mailboxes on ALL of the Exchange servers. You do not need another BES Admin account - that would be bad - but you have to make sure that the BES Service Account has permissions on all of the listed Exchange servers.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:55 AM   #5
groove_timer

Hi NJBlackBerry, Thanks for the response. I have added the BESAdmin Account into the permissions of all the servers as a Servers Account Admin from the organisation, through the sites & configurations and also the servers. I thought i'd cracked it by reinstalling everything but not putting on Service pack 4 for exchange 5.5, and i could get access to the other servers...BUT as soon as i put on the BES software and it installed the Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine, im getting the same prob with not being able to connect to the other 2 servers. In the Installation guide for blackberry it says "The Service account used by the Mobile Data Service to access the database (the Blackberry Enterprise Server service account), requires read/write access on the DataBase"
Is this similar to the solution your talking about and if so what database are they talking about and more importantly how the heck do i set read/write access on the database.
Cheers for any help.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:41 AM   #6
groove_timer

Hi I have resolved the issue. Sods law it is always something so simple. I had not inputted a WINS IP Address Doh! I had DNS etc inputted but because were still on an archaic NT system the BES could not resolve the domain name of the other exchange servers. It's good when u figure these things out . Now at last i can roll these babies out...only 2 months late
Closed Thread