BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 01:25 PM   #1
CrunchBerry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7105T
Default Should I choose a 8703e with Sprint or 8700c with Cingular?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm starting a new job and I was offered a Blackberry with Sprint or Cingular. As far as I can tell, the most current models are the 8703e with Sprint or the 8700c with Cingular.

I will be using it for voice (call quality is VERY important) and email. Fast internet service on the BB would also be nice. Internet access for my laptop will be provided via another means so tethering is not as important at the moment.

Which would you choose based upon the carrier and/or device features?

(By the way, my current BB is a 7105T with T-Mobile. The voice quality is average to poor and the data services are SLOOOOOW!)

Thank you for your insights!

Crunchberry
Old 12-21-2006, 01:29 PM   #2
jungleland
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: BOLD
Carrier: At&t

Despite what people say, EVDO (sprint) and EDGE (cingular) perform about the same in my experiences with respect to speed...I don't have much voice knowledge on sprint..I do however on cingular, I am in the NYC area, and both me and my fiancee drop calls regularly, data is fine, but voice is quite sketchy..I'd go with Sprint, plus you get internal GPS in the 8703e through sprint...and if you use BB maps with that, it's totally free GPS navigation...
Old 12-21-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T

I choose based on carrier/coverage. I think it's kind of foolish to switch to a carrier just for a certain phone. Just my .02
Old 12-21-2006, 01:42 PM   #4
jungleland

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbblc
I choose based on carrier/coverage. I think it's kind of foolish to switch to a carrier just for a certain phone. Just my .02

agreed...
Old 12-21-2006, 05:24 PM   #5
roofus

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

if you travel abroad a lot the GSM/EDGE 8700c is better because CDMA/EVDO devices only work in North America (plus a few small areas elsewhere)

Otherwise the devices are very similar.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:42 PM   #6
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland
Despite what people say, EVDO (sprint) and EDGE (cingular) perform about the same in my experiences with respect to speed...I don't have much voice knowledge on sprint..I do however on cingular, I am in the NYC area, and both me and my fiancee drop calls regularly, data is fine, but voice is quite sketchy..I'd go with Sprint, plus you get internal GPS in the 8703e through sprint...and if you use BB maps with that, it's totally free GPS navigation...
I am shocked on this. I do spend a lot of time in Manhatan and I use Cingular and it was excelent and no droped calls. This is not just me, that goes for many Cingular users that I know in the City. And this is downtown or mid town. Now as to Sprint, ny my home in Long Islan it would be either Cingular or Verizon but in my house it is Cingular. So it realy falls right to teh point where one uses the unit at. I would hihgly recomend that the OP tries to borrow one of each and to try them out in teh areas of calue sothis way the OP can make a real vlued decision that can be very satisfactory and with good experience.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:01 PM   #7
CrunchBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hf1khal
I am shocked on this. I do spend a lot of time in Manhatan and I use Cingular and it was excelent and no droped calls. This is not just me, that goes for many Cingular users that I know in the City. And this is downtown or mid town. Now as to Sprint, ny my home in Long Islan it would be either Cingular or Verizon but in my house it is Cingular. So it realy falls right to teh point where one uses the unit at. I would hihgly recomend that the OP tries to borrow one of each and to try them out in teh areas of calue sothis way the OP can make a real vlued decision that can be very satisfactory and with good experience.
You all have great insights. I will be traveling nationwide so it is somewhat difficult to know which coverage I will need.

Does anyone have experience with nationwide coverage and how Sprint and Cingular stack up?
Old 12-21-2006, 06:22 PM   #8
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchBerry
You all have great insights. I will be traveling nationwide so it is somewhat difficult to know which coverage I will need.

Does anyone have experience with nationwide coverage and how Sprint and Cingular stack up?
In my Opinion, Cingular.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:24 PM   #9
jungleland

Quote:
In my Opinion, Cingular.

Concur....Cingular's nationwide coverage is great...
Old 12-21-2006, 10:41 PM   #10
MrSanc8
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: Head
Carrier: Sprint
Default Hmm..

I am in Miami, and I m very happy with Sprint service.
I have friends in CA, NY and other parts of the country with Sprint service and they are all happy with it.

But, you have to get what's convinient and works for you.
Again, I am also just throwing in my .02.

Good luck with your decision...
Old 12-21-2006, 10:45 PM   #11
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

What about GPS. Sprint built in, Cingular you need a puck, but why not wait for an 8800 within a month or so if you can. Buy a cheap used BB in the meantime if you must. Should be the best yet on Cingular. BTW I go many places with Cingular and get good coverage.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:46 AM   #12
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Choose based on your real world coverage. Don't rely on coverage maps or hearsay.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:57 PM   #13
CrunchBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
Choose based on your real world coverage. Don't rely on coverage maps or hearsay.
That is great advice. Unfortunately, as I will be traveling around the country, all I can really rely on is the anecdotal experiences of the dedicated folks on BlackBerry Forums for insights.

Thank you for your help!
Old 12-22-2006, 04:03 PM   #14
CrunchBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
What about GPS. Sprint built in, Cingular you need a puck, but why not wait for an 8800 within a month or so if you can. Buy a cheap used BB in the meantime if you must. Should be the best yet on Cingular. BTW I go many places with Cingular and get good coverage.
Doh! That is an interesting idea. It looks cool! Do you think that Cingular can give me a release date for the 8800?
Old 12-24-2006, 12:25 AM   #15
archer6

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Quote:
Quote:

I travel nationwide & have tried both carriers.

The best solution is Cingular by a wide margin. The coverage is so much better than Sprint, there is simply no comparison. I was truly shocked how bad Sprint is.

I feel certain that Cingular will serve you best. In my travels using Cingular over the last 3 yrs I have been very happy with the service & customer care Dept which does a good job.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:12 AM   #16
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon

I love how Verizon isn't mentioned in this post! Not that I am a Verizon lover AT all... I have them but thats because my family is on them. Generally when I had Cingular and a Treo I always was able to get service. Once they get a 3G BB I'll swing their way but right now can't beat tethering on EVDO
Old 12-24-2006, 04:08 AM   #17
MooseBerry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9930
PIN: Up :)
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Talking

Quote:
Doh! That is an interesting idea. It looks cool! Do you think that Cingular can give me a release date for the 8800?
ROTFL! That's beautiful

Even if they gave you a date, it would mean nothing...they were months late on the RAZR V3i and weeks on the Pearl!

Cingular has great coverage with mediocre CS and they keep to release schedules like a Junkie...
Old 12-27-2006, 08:54 PM   #18
CrunchBerry

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I travel nationwide & have tried both carriers.

The best solution is Cingular by a wide margin. The coverage is so much better than Sprint, there is simply no comparison. I was truly shocked how bad Sprint is.

I feel certain that Cingular will serve you best. In my travels using Cingular over the last 3 yrs I have been very happy with the service & customer care Dept which does a good job.

Thank you! This is exactly the kind of experience I was hoping for.

By the way, I think I'll go with the 8700c or the 8800 (when released) and I'm not a big fan of the (not-so-SureType) on the 7105T.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:18 PM   #19
archer6

Quote:
Thank you! This is exactly the kind of experience I was hoping for.

By the way, I think I'll go with the 8700c or the 8800 (when released) and I'm not a big fan of the (not-so-SureType) on the 7105T.
Just had a thought I wanted to share with you based on personal experience.
I might suggest you go with the 8700c now. Here are the reasons:

1) It's a great model and you will not be disappointed.
2) It has in my opinion, the best version of the BB operating system.
3) The 8800 will have a different OS which does not mean bad, just perhaps not as bug free, in the first incarnation.
4) Cingular has just reduced the price of the 8700c by $50.00
5) You can enjoy a proven BlackBerry model now, instead of having to wait.

Cheers...........
Old 12-28-2006, 09:54 PM   #20
CrunchBerry

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6
Just had a thought I wanted to share with you based on personal experience.
I might suggest you go with the 8700c now. Here are the reasons:

1) It's a great model and you will not be disappointed.
2) It has in my opinion, the best version of the BB operating system.
3) The 8800 will have a different OS which does not mean bad, just perhaps not as bug free, in the first incarnation.
4) Cingular has just reduced the price of the 8700c by $50.00
5) You can enjoy a proven BlackBerry model now, instead of having to wait.

Cheers...........
Archer6,

Thank you for helping to solidify this from your experiences. Based upon the comments here, I'm planning to go with Cingular and the 8700C.

Thanks again everyone!
Closed Thread