BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
rpomerleau

Default Regarding Emails Pending to be sent to Device

Please Login to Remove!

I have users who only turn on their phones when going on trips. So their pending emails just stack up the whole time they are in the office. Now when they turn on their phones they get all the emails they have either opened, moved, deleted, and sent. Does BES talk back with exchange to see whether or not the emails have been touched or not? I can understand if the emails weren't open but these are.

I have noticed that the user who brought this to my attention uses pst files. Does it matter that the user has moved the email out of the inbox into a pst? Wouldn't BES recognize the move from inbox and not to send to device?

I am still in the evaluation mode with BES and this might be the straw that breaks this.

Thanks in Advance
Old 04-04-2005, 01:15 PM   #2
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

The Pending queue is populated long before the email is even opened or deleted on the user's email client. Think of the BES, at this point in the delivery, as a mailman. Once he's already on his route, there is no real way of phoning him up and telling him not to deliver something because the person already came to the Post Office to pick it up.

As for the PST file, the BES would not recognize the email being filed away in the user's Personal Folders. This is due to client limitations of the service account - it simply does not have permissions to scan and view the Personal Folders (just as you wouldn't as an administrator of the Exchange server). It can only synchronize what it has access to. The users may not understand this, but as an administrator, you should. Alternatively, you can go to Intellisync in Desktop Manager then to the PIM settings for Email and there is a wired sychronization of the Personal Folders - but there is not (and likely never will be) an option for wireless synchronization of this configuration.

I believe there is a place where you can set the length of time the server holds pending messages before they expire, although I'm not sure where that is or if it exists (would make sense to have, and I believe I read about it, but who knows).
Old 04-04-2005, 01:42 PM   #3
rpomerleau

I understand completely but I had to ask anyway. I never turn mine off, so I wasn't able to see that issue, but I guess it won't please everyone. LOL

Thanks for the info. and I will keep my eye open for the setting you mention.

Thanks again

Rich
Closed Thread