BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 03:27 AM   #1
Willie115
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: mEowmIx
Default Horrible way for me and my Pearl to start off the new year.

Please Login to Remove!

So at about 11:55 I was running to my friends house a few blocks down and the worse happened. My Pearl dropped out of my holster. It wasn't just a simple drop either, I was running so it dragged on the floor a few feet. The top above the led us scratched and somehow even the bottom left corner is scratched too. I ordered my bse that hasn't come yet and I was looking forward to having a clean Pearl. Yeah some of you would say BB abuse but I didn't want to do it. I think I'll post some pictures later, but I'm posting from my BB and not near a camera. Is there any place that sells spare parts for the front? I ordered the skin anf I'm just hoping that it covers the visibility of it. Damit I just got it on Tuesday too.... my first BB and I already ****ed up... Gahhhhhh I'm so pissed I can't ever have anthing nice.

Last edited by Willie115; 01-01-2007 at 06:19 AM..
Old 01-01-2007, 03:34 AM   #2
kasperapd
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

That's is a bad way to start off the new year.

Please try a Search
Old 01-01-2007, 04:36 AM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Dang!! But at least it still works, so it could be worse!
Old 01-01-2007, 06:46 AM   #4
outfocus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: Telstra

If it happened to a matte finished 8700, it wouldn't be so bad....what probably makes it worse is the glossy 'vertu-like' finish that is no longer

Very sorry to hear about your loss....my condolences to you and your family. All the best for the new year.....time will heal, and so will the 8800 coming soon....sorry if it's too soon to mention her, but a guy's gotta move on
Old 01-01-2007, 08:50 AM   #5
habanero69
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

I had the exact same thing happen to me with my 8700. I sent it back to RIM for shell replacment. It wasnt cheap but less than replacing. I, like you, feel like I can never have anything nice without it getting f****up. If you are like me, trying to hide the damage with the skin won't cut it. I took the bullet and just paid to have it fixed. The only issue is you need a temp phone while it's at RIM for repair which took one week for me. Best of luck. I feel your pain
Old 01-01-2007, 09:02 AM   #6
wickcity
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: cingular

Whats the name of the holster you are using?
Old 01-01-2007, 09:05 AM   #7
outfocus
Thumbs Must Hurt

As a resolution send it back to Rim stating software issues and they may just replace it. RIM are good like that....you never know......
Old 01-01-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
kasperapd

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfocus
As a resolution send it back to Rim stating software issues and they may just replace it. RIM are good like that....you never know......
That sounds a little like fraud to me.

Please try a Search
Old 01-01-2007, 04:38 PM   #9
Willie115

Naw, I'm not the type for fruad like that, well my friend convinced that it isn't that noticeable unless you're looking at it upclose, and the other scratch will be covered with I use the actual phone. Still makes me upset that this couldn't happen after I get my BSE to protect it. Thank god there aren't scratches where the screen is that would mess things up. It is great how everything still works but I am hoping that when I put a skin on it, it won't make it more noticeable. Now I'm looking for a Seidio rubberized case which I didn't really want to get, but it'd cover up pretty much all the scratches >.>. I couldnt post a picture of the scratches, they were too blurry but I'll post a picture of the crappy holster.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:39 PM   #10
SanFrancisco

PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

You ever buy a new car and get depressed when you see the first scratch or door ding? Then about a year later you no longer even notice the mark.

Pearl is the same way, over time you will not even think about it. Besides, you won't have the phone for more than a year or two, so big deal. I know it hurts, but the pain will pass.

For now, simply get a Seidio rubberized case or some other "enclosure" that snaps on to the phone. That will hide the scratches until you get over it.

Also, for future protection, put a lanyard on the phone with a clip. See my pic.

You should use the lanyard on your wrist whenever the Pearl is in your hand.

Use the clip on your belt or edge of a pocket. The clip will prevent the phone from falling on to the ground or whatever should your case holder or belt clip break loose from the belt. It will also stop a fall out of a pocket as long as the clip is fastened to an edge of pocket.

I have clipped the phone on to a shirt pocket, inner pocket of my suits, jacket pockets, the flaps of my briefcases, jean pockets and even the case that holds the phone on my road bike.

The clip illustrated is from an old pager cord. I have about five of those clips from the old pager days. Can't get them anywhere now, so they are like gold to me. Recently I discovered another source. Go to the hardware store where they sell keys and key rings. Usually they have clips there, either by themselves or as part of ID badge holders. Remove the clip from the ID badge holder and attach it to the camera lanyard.

Yeah, the setup looks like geekwear, but that setup has saved my phones from many a fall, usually when hopping on and off the cable cars or after having sat for a spell.

Side Note: Yes that is my custom speaker grill. Looks cool doesn't it.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 01-03-2007 at 11:05 AM..
Old 01-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #11
Willie115

That's a good idea, to just tie the strap just in case it falls out of the holster... well here are the pics of the holster

Note: I was wearing it vertically, it was probably my own fault to think that magnets would save it from opening, had I used it horizontally it probably wouldn't have flew out... =(
Old 01-01-2007, 04:58 PM   #12
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie115
That's a good idea, to just tie the strap just in case it falls out of the holster... well here are the pics of the holster

Note: I was wearing it vertically, it was probably my own fault to think that magnets would save it from opening, had I used it horizontally it probably wouldn't have flew out... =(
Most flaps that are held in place with magnets are not sufficient to keep the phone inside the case when there is a sharp jolt, especially if the phone is not a snug fit inside the case.

Put a lanyard on the phone, with clip, and if that case ever shakes loose or the phone falls out, it will most likely not hit the ground.

But if I were you, I'd get a nice case enclosure for it. I'd get the Seidio rubberized. It is a quality case, albeit a bit spendy. But the $10 to $15 rubberized cases that are on eBay are crap [the rubber coating flakes off in about a week]. But there are other hard plastic cases and rubber skins that you might like. Just seems those rubberized ones are not that good, but the plastic underneath seems fine.

Cover that sucker ASAP.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 01-01-2007 at 09:58 PM..
Old 01-01-2007, 08:26 PM   #13
admartinezjr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100c

well, my Pearl fared worse....I actually dropped it in a glass of milk! Tried drying it out a few hrs ago and the screen will not come on now.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:57 PM   #14
Willie115

Well take the neccessary (spell check) steps, don't try to turn it on rigt after. Take the battery out and then rinse the phone with alcohol. Do a search or ask SF on what to do.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:26 PM   #15
secrecyguy

Carrier: T-mobile

I got a tiny scuff mark on my phone before I was able to get a skin case for my phone.

Now my phone have Shield Zone and OEM skin case.

What I suggest you to do is take a look at Ebay and look for a non-working or damaged 8100 every once in a while.

Once you find it, ask the seller if there's any scratches on the case. If not, start bidding on it.

Last edited by secrecyguy; 01-01-2007 at 10:28 PM..
Old 01-01-2007, 11:23 PM   #16
Pearl Buddy

Carrier: tmo

people are too worried about scratches. when you go to sell your phone, a few scratches are not in any way going to hurt the sale. even moreso, i doubt anyone is going to pay a premium on an outdated phone just because its cosmetically mint.

the pearl, as with most all new cell phones, are highly durable devices that resist scratches very well. ive actually dropped my pearl a few times, right onto concrete. there are chunks taken out on the sides where the silver is. its all just plastic- i tend to wish they would implement steel-chromed sides yet i know they never will. anyway the pearl is incredibly strong, and worrying about scratches is like buying a truck to drive to an office job in everyday.

i should note, keep the screen nice. that is the one area that i agree should be kept mint.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:28 PM   #17
outfocus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Not sure about the US, but in Australia, most current model Blackberries sell for about 30-40% of retail price, so a few scratches might only be a few dollars
Old 01-01-2007, 11:43 PM   #18
Pearl Buddy

Carrier: tmo

thats weird. from what i can tell, the pearl is going for $250 on ebay right now, thats what i paid for mine before the $50 rebate w/contract...
Old 01-02-2007, 01:01 AM   #19
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl Buddy
people are too worried about scratches. when you go to sell your phone, a few scratches are not in any way going to hurt the sale. even moreso, i doubt anyone is going to pay a premium on an outdated phone just because its cosmetically mint.
You are correct. Reality is that most people keep a cell phone for about a year before getting a new one. By that time any phone being sold on eBay that almost always have scuffs, scratches or blemishes.

As I predicted two months ago, by Sept 2007 Pearls will be selling for less than $100 on eBay, but more likely less than $75. My prediction is on track since they can now be had for $250 and this is only three months into its debut.

With all this I would not sweat having a few dings and scratches on a Pearl since if you are going to keep it for a year or so, it won't be worth all that much anyway.

Heck, I have three 7100ts that I keep as backup phones. I have not even bothered trying to sell them on eBay for $25 to $50 [which is what they go for now].

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 01-03-2007 at 09:51 AM..
Old 01-02-2007, 03:54 AM   #20
secrecyguy

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl Buddy
thats weird. from what i can tell, the pearl is going for $250 on ebay right now, thats what i paid for mine before the $50 rebate w/contract...
Read my post carefully... I say he should try to bid on a damaged or non working 8100 Pearl. Those are going cheaper.