BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 08:54 AM   #1
charlieo

Model: 8700C
Smile 8700C and .529 OS from Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

I just upgraded my 8700C to .529 from Cingular and I am having a minor problem and need some advice. I always password protected my BB. I used a alpha numeric with 5 digits. Always worked fine. After the upgrade, now when I hit the "8" key (over the "x") as the fourth character in the password, I get a pop up "press send to initiate emergency call". If I hit "8" a second time I can complete the password as normal. This only happens as part of the password and I have tried changing every configuration setting I can find No help. Cingular was clueless as well. Has anyone seen this? I can probably just change the password characters to resolve . . . but I'd like to understand the issue first.

Second, should I be using 4.2 of the Cingular Desktop software with my 4.1.529 BB device application software??? Cingular said yes.... but I am not sure I agree.

Thanks for the help/advice.

Charlie
Old 01-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

I have not seen that issue. Have you tried hitting the right side cap first before you hit the x/8 key? Using DM 4.2 will be fine.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:46 PM   #3
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I've noticed that message popping up on mine but never determined what exactly caused it. I can get it to appear if I:

Press 000
Press ccc
Press 0x
Press 00x

...while entering my password. I'm guessing that there are probably other combinations as well...
Old 01-06-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack

I tried all the combo's above and nothing happened. Sounds simple but is there a combo set in the speed dial? I even tried to fool the Emergency call and nothing unusual happened.

4.2 desk and 4.1.0.194 BB
Old 01-07-2007, 07:00 AM   #5
charlieo

Model: 8700C
Talking

Hmmmm... thanks guys. I did find a release note for .529 that references the user now being allowed to make an emergency call from the enter password screen. I am sure this has something to do with the issue. Absolutely the "0 then 8" key press triggers the pop up. I suspect this is a bug having to do with making an emergency call on a locked BB. Right now my easiest solution is to lose the "0" in my password . Just curious about, perhaps, another resolution (like turning off the ability to emergency dial).

Unless someone can give me a compelling reason to use 4.2 DM (like some really cool new feature), I think I'll stay at 4.1. I am currently using release versions of Vista Ultimate/Office 2007 on a machine in my office. Any interest in having me load 4.2 DM on that machine and see what happens? (or am I late, and this has been done already)

OK, lastly, I know I am "slow" . . . . can somebody point me to a thread where I can figure out how to change the home screen background to my own picture (bmp or jpg, etc)?? I need to get my Anna Nicole Smith photo background working

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:35 AM   #6
Dnottingham4
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo
OK, lastly, I know I am "slow" . . . . can somebody point me to a thread where I can figure out how to change the home screen background to my own picture (bmp or jpg, etc)?? I need to get my Anna Nicole Smith photo background working

Thanks.
Email your self the picutre in 320x240 format and then open the picture on the BB, once its opne you can click the wheel to save it. ONce saved ext back to the home screen and then go to the pictures application. ON ce in the pictues app highligt the picture youjust saved and click the wheel to bring up the menu. IN the menu you should have the "set as home screen image" option - chosse it and it will become you home screen image.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack

Not aware of any method to stop the emergency call ability but you can stop other type of calls. The Emergency Call option has been on the BB for a while with cingular OS's
Old 01-07-2007, 09:53 PM   #8
choi4096
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Globe Telecom
Thumbs down Using DM 4.2 desktop version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
I have not seen that issue. Have you tried hitting the right side cap first before you hit the x/8 key? Using DM 4.2 will be fine.
I am using the 4.2 Desktop version on the .529 firmware from cingular, but I cannot use the file transfer option. A prompt "..only 4.2 firmware should be used.." or something... Although, backing up, restoring and syncing is no problem. Is there a way fro me to use the file transfer option with the .529 cingular firmware?
Old 01-08-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310

Nope. Not unless your 8700 has the 4.2 firmware (not yet released) as it says.
Closed Thread