Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
bc7
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default I Think I Need Help :)

Please Login to Remove!

Okay I think I need help. First let me give you a little background information. I used a Treo 600 for a while and absolutely loved it, then I got rid of it, and bounced around from different phones for a while before getting the Treo 700W. It started to freeze too much and upset me so I got rid of that and picked up a BB 7130. Loved the e-mail capabilities, but the phone was probably the worst of all time. Verizon sent me a replacement but instead of the 7130, I recieved an 8703e. I love the new handset because it has the full QWERTY keyboard instead of the smart type.

However the problem that I am having is this: My phone bill is almost $160 because I have the unlimited BB data plan, as well as the extra $15 to be able to tether it. I've had thoughts of switching back to the Treo 700p because you can use that as a modem (an absolute must BTW) but don't know if I want to give up the instant e-mail capability. I need some help on what to do, or if I should switch carriers and find out if there is a cheaper option out there for everything I need.

Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks...
P.S. I'm a gadget whore so well, you all know what that's like.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
kayos72
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: pearl
Carrier: tmobile

check out tmo plans, addon unl. data cheap, I use mine as a modem too
Old 01-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I would stick with the BB (that is of course my biased opinion). Had the 600 and 650. BB/RIM is just a more stable platform in my opinion. But TMO deff has the better data plan price wise.

Last edited by brucejr; 01-07-2007 at 05:13 PM..
Old 01-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
bc7
Thumbs Must Hurt

When I called a local T-Mobile store they said that you can't use there service to tether as a modem. Did I get bad information or are they speaking the truth?
Old 01-07-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

I did not think Verizon plans were that high. I would check with a company store ( not a vendor )and see exactly what you are paying for. Even cingular offers lower plans with unlimited data. Tell them you are thinking of switching to someone else as a push to get a better plan.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:37 PM   #6
scaredpoet
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: iPhon

You might also want to consider Sprint, with the 8703e. Their unlimited blackberry plan includes tethering, so that will save you $15 a month right there. Additionally, most of their plans start at lower price points. So you'll still have a blackberry with mostly the same capabilities, only you'll be paying less for it.

Oh, Sprint also now has a voice and data roaming agreement with Verizon, and their current plans include roaming at no additional charge. So, you'll still be able to enjoy the coverage you had... maybe even a little more than before. ;)

The only bad news is, you'll have to buy a new 8703e from Sprint, as you cannot use your Verizon branded one. But eBaying your Verizon 8703e will probably go a long way to cutting down the costs of moving over to Sprint.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:54 PM   #7
MotoUp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Ouch, did they supply you with a jar of KY as well? We only pay the normal $40 a month plan, plus $40 unlimited data, and $15 for any devices we want to tether, minus our 10% business discount.. but that doesn't make that much of a difference.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:27 PM   #8
kasperapd
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc7
When I called a local T-Mobile store they said that you can't use there service to tether as a modem. Did I get bad information or are they speaking the truth?
I tether mine all the time and it doesn't cost extra.

Please try a Search
Old 01-08-2007, 09:03 AM   #9
bc7
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoUp
Ouch, did they supply you with a jar of KY as well? We only pay the normal $40 a month plan, plus $40 unlimited data, and $15 for any devices we want to tether, minus our 10% business discount.. but that doesn't make that much of a difference.
I think it's too early in the morning to make me laugh out loud.

The Sprint idea is more of what I am looking for. My finacee has a Sprint/Nextel phone from her company that they pay for so she is going to cancel her Verizon service (at least that is the plan), but I will be spending the entire month of March away from home on the road, so we will be talking A LOT, that is why I am looking at Sprint.

Once again I can't thank everyone enough for helping out this BB newbie. I've learned more about my device in the past two days than I have since I recieved it in the mail a couple of months ago. You may have to get used to me being here
Old 01-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #10
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Just be sure that coverage is sufficient where you need it before switching carriers.
Closed Thread