Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 06:34 AM   #1
dev
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers
Default Unable to do Enterprise Activations after BES upgrade to 4.1.2

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone found a definitive solution for this annoying issue? It seems that the BES agent does not redirect the "network@etp" message to the new users' device to finish the EA.
Yes I can probably do a "wired" activation, but this defeats the purpose of wireless activity.
And yes, I've already done the wipe&load, IEMSTest, Handheldcleanup, checked permissions, restarted the Policy, Sync, DISP, Router and Controller services. There are no SPAM filters, Outlook rules, out-of-coverage issues that's affecting the new user.
I've also done the simulated EA activation....this one seems to work, but receiving new messages on the device does not appear to work.
The BES has ~30 users all functioning very well after a no issues upgrade.
Any ideas?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:03 AM   #2
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

Not often I see dev needing assistance!!!

I know you've checked this even though you haven't mentioned it in your post, but because you haven't mentioned it in your post I'm going to ask anyway.............have you checked your AV to see if it is altering the DAT. file?????

Old 01-17-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
ashworth
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

another good test to do is remove the user from the server and do another EA to that user to to make sure the etp message hits in inbox, and then you can open up the .dat file with notepad to make sure nothing had modified it. Also make sure body and the subject line of the message is not getting modified because that can cause an EA to hang also.

My BlackBerry GPS Golf Application | Mileage Calculator
Old 01-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
miles_trooper

Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev
Has anyone found a definitive solution for this annoying issue? It seems that the BES agent does not redirect the "network@etp" message to the new users' device to finish the EA.
Yes I can probably do a "wired" activation, but this defeats the purpose of wireless activity.
And yes, I've already done the wipe&load, IEMSTest, Handheldcleanup, checked permissions, restarted the Policy, Sync, DISP, Router and Controller services. There are no SPAM filters, Outlook rules, out-of-coverage issues that's affecting the new user.
I've also done the simulated EA activation....this one seems to work, but receiving new messages on the device does not appear to work.
The BES has ~30 users all functioning very well after a no issues upgrade.
Any ideas?
I'm confused, are you saying the ETP mail hits the users inbox and the BES doesn't pick it up, or it never hit's their inbox? The ETP mail comes into the users inbox over SMTP, and the MAGT should pick it up from there assuming it isn't blocked/modified etc..
Old 01-17-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
dev
CrackBerry Addict

BBAdmin: Yeah I've been relegated to newbie status....not that anything is wrong with that.... This is where I got my start many moons ago.
But this one is just annoying me at the moment.

Ashworth: I did the remove-readd the user thing already. I must admit I haven't opened the *.dat file to check the header...hmmmm...missed that one....getting old.

Yes, the etp messages get's to the users' Inbox and just sits there. I'm thinking I should bounce the exchange connector service, since the BEs agent just doesn't seem to recognize the new message in the Inbox.

Last edited by dev; 01-17-2007 at 10:07 AM..
Old 01-17-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
miles_trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev
BBAdmin: Yeah I've been relegated to newbie status....not that anything is wrong with that.... This is where I got my start many moons ago.
But this one is just annoying me at the moment.

Ashworth: I did the remove-readd the user thing already. I must admit I haven't opened the *.dat file to check the header...hmmmm...missed that one....getting old.
If you're removing the user you can always run dbclean as well just to tidy things up. Sometimes that helps
Old 01-17-2007, 10:16 AM   #7
ashworth
CrackBerry Addict

Do you get any mapi error codes in the magt log for the user? When the agent added the user it will try to open up the users mailbox to see if it has the hidden folders (this is what dblcean cleans out) If it can open up the folder then the agent is going to start the user and you will get a user not started in the APP evt log. If the user does get started and it is still not picking up the etp messages you could always try the follow to "trick" the BES

Start the EA from the HH
Wait until you see the ETP message in the users inbox.
restart the controller (Will restart the agents and force a mailbox re-scan for all users. Since you only have 30 users no big deal)
Then see if it starts the EA.

Something else that could be happening would be the BES is trying to pick up the message from Exchange but if you have Virus or spam filter running at the Exchange level it could cause the BES to get mapi error 8004010f (not found) and it will fail. If this is the case then you could add a processmaildealy key on the agent on the BES. I have this enabled on my server for a 5 seconds, just to make sure my Virus scanning is done before the BES tries to pick up the message.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:28 AM   #8
dev
CrackBerry Addict

Ashworth: The user is started properly after addition to the BES without any MAPI errors in the MAGT logs. That was the first place I checked for any significant errors related to user. The logs indicate that the BES knows a new user has been added, but the BES agent just refuses to see the etp message in the Inbox.
I haven't checked the *.dat file to see if it's altered in any way. I'll also set a maildelayto see if that changes anything.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:32 AM   #9
miles_trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashworth
Do you get any mapi error codes in the magt log for the user? When the agent added the user it will try to open up the users mailbox to see if it has the hidden folders (this is what dblcean cleans out) If it can open up the folder then the agent is going to start the user and you will get a user not started in the APP evt log. If the user does get started and it is still not picking up the etp messages you could always try the follow to "trick" the BES

Start the EA from the HH
Wait until you see the ETP message in the users inbox.
restart the controller (Will restart the agents and force a mailbox re-scan for all users. Since you only have 30 users no big deal)
Then see if it starts the EA.

Something else that could be happening would be the BES is trying to pick up the message from Exchange but if you have Virus or spam filter running at the Exchange level it could cause the BES to get mapi error 8004010f (not found) and it will fail. If this is the case then you could add a processmaildealy key on the agent on the BES. I have this enabled on my server for a 5 seconds, just to make sure my Virus scanning is done before the BES tries to pick up the message.

Hope this helps.
adding the mail delay key is a good tip i've not heard before. forgive my ignorance, but how would you go about doing that?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:40 AM   #10
ashworth
CrackBerry Addict

RIM has a KB on how to do it.

BlackBerry Search Results

Enjoy.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:38 PM   #11
centrekin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Did changing the mail delay work?
Old 01-18-2007, 12:09 PM   #12
dev
CrackBerry Addict

The mail delay registry fix has enabled the device to EA without issue(more or less). However, mail can be sent but not received, and address book & calendar has not synced over. Obviously there's some Service books issues. This is much easier to deal with than not being able to EA new users.

Thanks Ashworth.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:10 PM   #13
ashworth
CrackBerry Addict

Good news...

Old 01-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #14
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

Sounds like we're getting there.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:17 PM   #15
centrekin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

I have an EA question... I've got a BES4.1.2, and I thought that I read somewhere that you can clear the PIM Wireless Backup for a user and that will start an immediate wireless activation... Am I thinking of something else?
Old 01-25-2007, 09:12 AM   #16
ashworth
CrackBerry Addict

If you delete and then undelete the desktop sycn service book it should start off an EA. That is maybe what you are thinking about.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:58 PM   #17
Vass

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

My company just switched to BES 4.1.2 yesterday. Now I tried to do multiple EA's only to end up with the Server not responding" message on my handhelds.
Then I went and tried it from my old 4.0 server and the same handhelds EA'ed fine.

Any other suggestions while I hold with TSupport?

Thanks

EDIT - Reboot fixed my issue

Last edited by Vass; 01-25-2007 at 02:03 PM..
Old 01-25-2007, 06:03 PM   #18
Stu_Bee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vass
My company just switched to BES 4.1.2 yesterday. Now I tried to do multiple EA's only to end up with the Server not responding" message on my handhelds.
Then I went and tried it from my old 4.0 server and the same handhelds EA'ed fine.

EDIT - Reboot fixed my issue
I know a reboot fixed it, but you may want to do a quick check that you got the corresponding Hotfix for BES 4.1SP2 as well. Blackberry's download page doesn't show them in Chronological order, so you can easily miss it.
Exchange = 4.1 SP2 HotFix1
Domino = 4.1 SP2 HotFix2
Closed Thread