BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 08:57 AM   #1
Damien
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Question Moving

Please Login to Remove!

I have one BES server running version 3.6 SP4. The database in running on a seperate SQL server.

I have to install another BES server (v 3.6 SP4) and move users from the first BB server to the second server, but I want to avoid re-cradling.

Is it possible to stop the BES services on server1, add server2 to the management console, using the same SRP as server1, move all users from server1 to server2 by selecting all the users and choose move users.

Will this work ?

After the move server1 will not be online anymore.

regards
Damien
Old 04-12-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

Yes you can. Migrate the database over to the new server, then startup the services with it. It should work fairly seamlessly with the old SRP and keys. Make sure you don't have both servers up and running at the same time though, as the SRP will be disabled and require a phone call to reactivate
Old 04-12-2005, 05:09 PM   #3
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

To change your instructions a bit, just turn down the services on server1. On server2, make sure the SRP ID and Auth Key are the same, the virtual server name is the same (for instance, NEWBES11), and the BES service account/mailbox is the same.

Users should auto-populate, but just in case, export the user list PRIOR to shutting down the services on one and turning them up on the other. As bfrye stated, and we cannot stress this enough, do NOT start up both servers at the same time with the same SRP.

There's no sense in migrating users, especially if you want to have one BES turned down and the other turned up. The userlist and all options (under 3.6) are stored in the BES service account mailbox. Under BES 4.0, you can move between two BES's with two SRP's and they will not have to recradle.