Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 01:37 PM   #1
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo
Default BES and VMWare

Please Login to Remove!

I know people have asked some questions about this and here's what I've found out. Granted this was only about a 3 day test I did more to satisfy my own curiousity than anything else, but here goes..

It does work to an extent. I was able to install fine, and it will connect to our groupwise system just fine (I assume connecting to exchange or notes won't be any different).

The only problem I had, and I didn't delve too deep into this, is VMWare assigning full control of the USB ports to the BES virtual server. Strangely, I could see the device connected in the router logs, and on the statistics screen. But it would not show up under BES manager, thus not allowing you to connect the device directly to the server and activate/provision it. I could only wirelessly activate devices. As well, desktop manager would not work. Again I could see the device connected (PIN and connected status), but no data could be transferred. This might be a fluke in the VMWare settings of my own fault, but as I said before, this was just a quick test to satisfy myself.

So in a nutshell, it works mostly like it's supposed to. I haven't load tested this though. I only placed two users on it and transferred maybe 20 emails between the two. Everything effectively worked fine though. VMWare sounds like it would be a viable solution for those organizations with less than 50 users or so that want to consolidate their servers, or even for largers organizations that have a permanent test lab setup, yet don't want to dedicate a permenant server for BES testing.

Have fun!
Old 04-17-2005, 02:58 PM   #2
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

I think the test lab configuration is more along the lines of smarter thinking. Nothing against VMWare and its products, but I do not think putting a GSX server up into a production environment is all that reliable. I think someone said on here that they had their entire Exchange org and BES and quite a bit more running on a GSX environment...

The USB issue has existed since 4.5 and probably earlier. VMWare are aware of the issue, but did not correct it in the newly released 5.0 version. This is an issue with VMWare and RIM hardware/software (possibly others, as this same issue exists for VMWare Workstation for Linux 4.5 and some (maybe all.. just personal experience speaking here) mini-usb connected digital cameras).
Old 05-04-2005, 11:14 AM   #3
MileHi

Model: 7100
Default BES/VMWARE -- Just Fine

We have been running our BES on a W2K3 instance riding an ESX server. Although the USB issue is a bit painful we have had no other issues. FUll production network with 70+ bbry users processing around 1400 emails per day.
Just my .02

Specs: VMware ESX Server 2.5.1
Windows 2K3,
BES 4.0.1.13
Old 05-05-2005, 02:41 PM   #4
BESGW
Knows Where the Search Button Is

That's interesting to know. I'm actually in the process of having our BES replicated on the ESX server we have in our lab. I'll keep you posted..
Old 05-05-2005, 02:50 PM   #5
jibi
BlackBerry God

what are the specs of the machine you all use for the ESX server? we're thinking about implementing a multi-proc server, but just curious as to what you all are running...
Old 05-05-2005, 09:54 PM   #6
jdh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers

I'm actually running a semi-production GroupWise BES using VMWare, and not having any issues... It's only supporting about three users (it's semi-production in the sense that although the BES is connected to their real e-mail accounts, they're IT people who are willing to tolerate some idiosyncracies), but other than the USB issue mentioned above it works just fine under VMWare GSX and Win2003 Server... In fact, I was originally running it on VMWare Workstation and Windows XP Pro, and had no issues on there either.

The USB issue isn't a big deal in my case, as all activations were done wirelessly anyway (in at least two cases, I haven't even seen the Blackberries that are connected into the BES).
Old 05-06-2005, 10:31 AM   #7
BESGW

Specs: ESX 2.5.1
HP Proliant DL 580 w/ 4 processors - 32 GB RAM and 4x 74.2 GB drives in RAID 5
Win 2003 standard
BES for GW v4.0.1.13
Old 01-16-2007, 04:32 PM   #8
dropscience
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800

Wow, boy am I glad I found this topic... albeit, a bit late but good nonetheless.

We WERE moving towards VMWare w/BES 4.1.2 for Groupwise. Tethered activations via USB are kinda a standard fare for our IT shop. Our track record of OTA activations isn't good so we prefer to use USB. However, this exact issue was something that concerned me so now I will have to re-evaluate if VMWare is recommended or not.

I'm going to contact VMWare and ask what their stance is for USB port sharing/access.

If anyone was able to get USB-tethered activations working on their VMWare BES server please spill the beans on the process.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2007, 04:59 PM   #9
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900

Check this out:

VMTN Discussion Forums: Need USB support ...

Has the advantage of allowing the USB device to be anywhere. No more trips to the frigid server room
Old 01-16-2007, 05:10 PM   #10
mbdickey

Model: 8310
Default Curious why you don't think GSX/VMWare Server is production?

I run a lot of production servers with VMWare server, including our Exchange and BES servers. I'm curious to know why you don't think that GSX (now VMWare Server) is of production class?
Old 01-16-2007, 08:44 PM   #11
dropscience

Thanks for the link to the digi solution CanuckBB! now my next question is, has anyone used this with their ESX server?? testimonies?
Old 01-16-2007, 09:27 PM   #12
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdickey
I run a lot of production servers with VMWare server, including our Exchange and BES servers. I'm curious to know why you don't think that GSX (now VMWare Server) is of production class?
I'm a huge fan and proponent of virtualization within a controlled, non-critical environment, such as a Development or Test/QA environment. Obviously it'll save a lot of money. For companies that cannot afford blade servers or full-on servers, then virtualization may be a key to save a lot of money. I'm just not honestly sure if ANY of the virtualization solutions are up to snuff with traditional systems architecture, to be perfectly honest. It has it's benefits and it has it's negatives.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:15 PM   #13
dropscience

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

I agree with you but unfortunately I'm not in any position to call the shots. I'm simply the facilitator of the technology who has been mandated to place it on VMWare. Obviously, if it's not the ideal situation then I can make my recommendation but their main arguement is of course costs and dr scenarios.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:17 AM   #14
CanuckBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdickey

Because GSX along with MS Virtual Server run on Windows. I personnaly trust my production VMs to run on something that is that resource hungry.

ESX runs on bare metal. It has a single function, run VMs.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:18 AM   #15
CanuckBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropscience
Thanks for the link to the digi solution CanuckBB! now my next question is, has anyone used this with their ESX server?? testimonies?
If you search through VMWare's discussion forums, there seems to be a lot of people using that technology. It does appear to not be shareable between VMs.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:12 PM   #16
dropscience

well it looks like Keyspan's product is what I would be most likely insterested in since it would allow the individual ports on the hub to be shared simultaneously between VM sessions. AnywhereUSB unfortunately only allows 1 VM session at a time to utilize it's hardware on the entire hub!

more info here...

VMTN Discussion Forums: AnywhereUSB Hub cannot be shared among ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB
If you search through VMWare's discussion forums, there seems to be a lot of people using that technology. It does appear to not be shareable between VMs.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:38 PM   #17
dropscience

apparently, this is what I can do...

1) Install BES 4.1.2 onto a VMWare ESX session on a Blade environment
2) Install the SQL database on a remote location.
3) Point the BES to the remote SQL location.
4) Install BES Remote Manager on my local PC.
5) Point the Remote Manager to the remote SQL location.
6) Activate Blackberry handhelds "wired" via USB through my local PC with the Remote Manager.

doesn't this solve my situation? no, i still can't physically connect usb to the VMWare servers but i'm technically doing this through my local pc instead, right? and as a result, i won't need to purchase the digi AnywhereUSB hub.

please bare with me guys as i'm still a n00b in the BES realm. the BES was merely dropped in my lap as a result of someone leaving our corporation.

Last edited by dropscience; 01-17-2007 at 11:54 PM..
Old 01-18-2007, 06:59 PM   #18
rgeorge

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

That method works great. We do most of ours with OTA but all my techs also have the manager installed locally. This works best now too since we have role based admin.

As for why OTA could not be working. We had a problem where SPAM filters were blocking the OTA emails from the users mailbox. Might want to check into that.

BTW, when we went to 4.1.2 we moved to running in Vmware ESX as well. Sitting at about 680 users on one server in ESX.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:00 PM   #19
dropscience

^ hey thanks for your input. it's really appreciated. i'm going to move forward minus the Digi AnywhereUSB hub then since your scenario allowed activations locally through the Remote Manager. Although it seems you're doing OTA.

I did a test on my own Blackberry and the OTA activation emails arrive but are marked "maybe spam". At that point, the process just hangs without completion. I'll try to speak to our Firewall guys to somehow allow or tweak their filters so it doesn't mark it necesssarily as spam. Anyhow, glad to hear ESX server is working well for your IT shop.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:59 AM   #20
jibi
BlackBerry God

The remote installation of BlackBerry Manager is slow, imo. I have to manage a server half-way across the nation, over MPLS, and BBM is dreadfully slow. This is why I'm looking forward to web-based administration, if it ever sees the light of day. For wired activations, it'd make sense to have some sort of ActiveX integration with the web-based administration. Imagine just how streamlined that process would be at that point. No installations and you could literally activate the device through the USB from any machine on the LAN/WAN. That'd be nice.