BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
netPOSER
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT
Default Unlimited Data is really Limited Data?

Please Login to Remove!

What I have learned from Cingular Today:

An unlimited BB plan is really limited to non-SMS(text messaging) and non-tethered data. And I thought SMS and using your BB as a modem was data--guess not! I guess the $7.99 "/MEDIA BASIC PACKAGE" left on my account for the past couple of years has paid for my SMS service.

So they should change the plans from "Unlimited...blah blah" to "Limited...blah blah"

The CR said they have a new unlimited BB plan that includes 1,000 text messages plus unlimited in-network text messages, plus unlimited BB data for $59.99.

So now I am more confused considering we've been told "unlimited data" is truly "unlimited data".

The only reason I'm aware of this is because they charged me for going over 1024 KB this month even though I had "/BB UNL ADD ON" feature that should be unlimited. Now I have to go back to Dec. 2005 and see how many months they over-charged my company--argh!
Old 03-16-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
shaqinsactown
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Verizon

SMS is handled differently by different carriers. I've seen Verizon charge SMS as a data charge. Blackberry Data is typically considered with all carriers to be Blackberry e-mail/PIN and web browsing. SMS or data tethering are typically considered outside the domain of the blackberry data plan.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:13 PM   #3
hookem12387
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

I know tethering counts as part of your unlimited data on tmobile. For $15 I have unlimited texts and for $20 unlimited(including tethering) data. I think it's a pretty good deal
Old 03-16-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
sieglo

Model: PEARL
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaqinsactown
SMS is handled differently by different carriers. I've seen Verizon charge SMS as a data charge. Blackberry Data is typically considered with all carriers to be Blackberry e-mail/PIN and web browsing. SMS or data tethering are typically considered outside the domain of the blackberry data plan.
How can Cingular possibly tell the difference whether your Blackberry is tethered and used as a modem versus browsing using the device directly?
Old 03-17-2007, 08:25 AM   #5
netPOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglo
How can Cingular possibly tell the difference whether your Blackberry is tethered and used as a modem versus browsing using the device directly?
If you call Cingular you'll probably get a different answer each time.

I know why the carriers charge for SMS...they make billions from it.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Cingular billing is the worst I've experienced.

I also took a quick look at their web site and just clicking through the BB plans, it doesn't explicitly say SMS is not part of the data plan; I know it isn't included but you'd think they'd make it explicitly clear as many people use SMS now. I don't believe any of the national carriers (Cingular/Verizon/Sprint/T-Mobile) count SMS as data. The BB has a setting to allow SMS to use the data connection but it won't work.

Tethering is also an add-on with Cingular/Verizon/T-Mobile; I had read where Sprint included it but I never checked. They are more clear about that then SMS but they don't exactly spell it out. Generally, they mention the unlimited data is for the handset, not to be uses as a modem, and have it in the TOS somewhere. I beleive Cingular mentioned in the instructions to use your BB as a modem you needed a tethering plan.

Bottom line, if you don't know what you need and what they offer you can easily get the wrong service. I'm not sure if or how they catch you tethering, that isn't the point.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:56 AM   #7
luderr_jai

Model: 8700c

for cingular... cant we just use media net?? $19.99 unlimited/
Old 03-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #8
hookem12387
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio
Cingular billing is the worst I've experienced.

I also took a quick look at their web site and just clicking through the BB plans, it doesn't explicitly say SMS is not part of the data plan; I know it isn't included but you'd think they'd make it explicitly clear as many people use SMS now. I don't believe any of the national carriers (Cingular/Verizon/Sprint/T-Mobile) count SMS as data. The BB has a setting to allow SMS to use the data connection but it won't work.

Tethering is also an add-on with Cingular/Verizon/T-Mobile; I had read where Sprint included it but I never checked. They are more clear about that then SMS but they don't exactly spell it out. Generally, they mention the unlimited data is for the handset, not to be uses as a modem, and have it in the TOS somewhere. I beleive Cingular mentioned in the instructions to use your BB as a modem you needed a tethering plan.

Bottom line, if you don't know what you need and what they offer you can easily get the wrong service. I'm not sure if or how they catch you tethering, that isn't the point.

Regards-Michael G.
I've heard repeatedly that tmobile is fine with tethering. Where have you read/heard otherwise?
Old 03-17-2007, 12:34 PM   #9
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by luderr_jai
for cingular... cant we just use media net?? $19.99 unlimited/
If you have a BB you have to have a BB dataplan for Internet and email. End of story. Nothing else will work. Sure, you will read on here and in other forums that people have gotten around it. That is not the issue here. You need a BB data plan with a BB for email and Internet.

I think Cingular now offers a BB unlimited data plan with text messaging for somewhere around $50 a month, but I am not sure. You need to call them to find out.

As for not knowing what plan or features you need, all you have to do is ask. That is what the store reps are there for. I have most to be somewhat knowledgeable about it. A little online research also goes a long way.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:48 PM   #10
ghostrida
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub
If you have a BB you have to have a BB dataplan for Internet and email. End of story. Nothing else will work. Sure, you will read on here and in other forums that people have gotten around it. That is not the issue here. You need a BB data plan with a BB for email and Internet.

I think Cingular now offers a BB unlimited data plan with text messaging for somewhere around $50 a month, but I am not sure. You need to call them to find out.

As for not knowing what plan or features you need, all you have to do is ask. That is what the store reps are there for. I have most to be somewhat knowledgeable about it. A little online research also goes a long way.
i have this plan and its $54.99. if anyone has BIS and txting for less please share.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:53 PM   #11
hookem12387
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrida
i have this plan and its $54.99. if anyone has BIS and txting for less please share.
Wont do you any good on cingular, but tmobile is: $20 for unlimited bb, $15 for unlimited texts. So for $35 youre unlimited BIS and Txt
Old 03-17-2007, 03:10 PM   #12
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem12387
I've heard repeatedly that tmobile is fine with tethering. Where have you read/heard otherwise?
When I had T-Mobile I was told I needed to add an internet plan that would allow me to tether. It would also include access to HotSpots but that wasn't a benefit for me.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:41 PM   #13
netPOSER

Quote:

You missed the point of my post. Most Cingular reps don't know what they should know. 3 days ago a rep said my BB Unlimited plan is unlimited data--period but yesterday tethering and SMS is not included.

So by stating unlimited data the carriers are lying. They should just say BB data plan and drop the word unlimited because isn't tethering transfering data? SMS is transferring data?

They make it confusing on purpose and it is a questionable business practice that we are all used to and well aware of.

Doesn't the mobile phone industry in the US have one of the worst service reputations among industries?
Old 03-17-2007, 04:30 PM   #14
Dubdub
Appleinator

I looked on the website and talked with the rep and knew exactly what I needed. I pretty much figured out that if I wanted to use the BB as a modem, I needed a tether plan add-on. That is what its there for. If I used more than 20 TMs a month, I needed the SMS plan.

I am not trying to defend Cingular, but one should also do a bit of research up front. All carriers have issues with CSRs.

Perhaps T-Mobile is cheaper because they do not have the coverage of Cingular and Verizon. What good is a cheap plan if you don't have cell coverage?
Old 03-17-2007, 04:43 PM   #15
netPOSER

Quote:
I looked on the website and talked with the rep and knew exactly what I needed. I pretty much figured out that if I wanted to use the BB as a modem, I needed a tether plan add-on. That is what its there for. If I used more than 20 TMs a month, I needed the SMS plan.

I am not trying to defend Cingular, but one should also do a bit of research up front. All carriers have issues with CSRs.

Perhaps T-Mobile is cheaper because they do not have the coverage of Cingular and Verizon. What good is a cheap plan if you don't have cell coverage?
I thought T-Mobile and Cingular share their network?
Old 03-17-2007, 05:39 PM   #16
GrayPenguin

Model: 8100
PIN: 23EAF79C

Quote:
I have the BBRYUNL ALL4 plan which, as far as I can tell, is unlimited data and 1000 mms/sms for $39.99/mo with a $5 discount because I have a voice plan. So that makes it $34.99/mo. I'm on BIS btw.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:47 PM   #17
hookem12387
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

Just fyi, I get better coverage with tmo in both Austin and Houston than my friends with cingular do. I also get about the same coverage as when I had verizon, better in some areas, a bit worse in others.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #18
joaquin654
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: yeah baby !
Carrier: AT&T Mobility
Talking

Quote:

i'm sorry but this info is incorrect . i just got of Cingular.Com checking my bill and i'm being charged 39.99 for BB unlimited data plus 1000 text messages plus 5.00 for unlimited M2M text bundle . total cost : 44.99 ! very nice for unlimited Blackberry , 1000 txt , plus unlimited mobile to mobile texting ... i have further confirmed this charge with cingular CS who also told me the bundle is 44.99 ... sounds like Cingular isn't too bad versus the competition.

i'm happy
Old 03-17-2007, 07:03 PM   #19
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by netPOSER
I thought T-Mobile and Cingular share their network?
In some places they do and in some they don't. If they did, their coverage maps would look the same and there would be fewer T-Mo customers complaing about lack of a signal/coverage. From what I have heard lately, Cingular is not renewing many of the agreements. I have no real knowledge of it, just what I have read and heard.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:05 PM   #20
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem12387
Just fyi, I get better coverage with tmo in both Austin and Houston than my friends with cingular do. I also get about the same coverage as when I had verizon, better in some areas, a bit worse in others.
I can believe it. I have better coverage in certain areas in Vermont on Verizon than with Cingular. One of my friends has Sprint because that is the only carrier he can get where he lives in Maine.
Closed Thread