Old 04-08-2007, 05:12 PM   #1
ericshmerick
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT
Default Force Roaming?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

I am a new BB user (3 weeks), came from WM5 (700wx, 6700, Q...had them all). One feature I loved was the ability to force roaming. Specifically, I live in a non-Sprint EVDO area, and Alltel has EVDO in my area (not to mention a better signal in my home). I was able to force roaming on my WM phones, but can't on my BB. My only options are home and automatic. It's annoying b/c my BB only goes into roaming when the Sprint signal is VERY low, causing my phone not to work in some situations where an Alltel signal is readily available. If I was able to force roaming, I could use my phone in these situations.

Is there a way to force digital roaming on a Blackberry? If not, why?
Old 04-08-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I suggest you do a search on "Force Roaming" . There are several threads about it.

Basicially, CDMA Blackberries (at least on Sprint) are configured to NOT roam if it can find a Sprint signal. You cannot force roam a CDMA Blackberry. You'd have to get out of Sprint's coverage area before the 8703e will roam.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:13 AM   #3
ericshmerick
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub
I suggest you do a search on "Force Roaming" . There are several threads about it.

Basicially, CDMA Blackberries (at least on Sprint) are configured to NOT roam if it can find a Sprint signal. You cannot force roam a CDMA Blackberry. You'd have to get out of Sprint's coverage area before the 8703e will roam.
I appreciate the response. I followed your advice and found one other relevant thread in this forum.

WWW .blackberryforums.com/general-8700-series-discussion/66312-how-do-i-roam-alltels-evdo-network-my-sprint-blackberry-8703e.html?highlight=force+roaming

I just thought I'd ask again, as I already posted in that thread and received no help. I just wish RIM would enable force roaming in the phone settings. For a business class device, I believe this to be a basic need. I frequently have 0 bars on Sprint while there is a full blast Alltel signal just waiting to be used. Not good when I am on a conference call and the call drops. Maybe RIM could lower the threshold for the phone to switch to roaming...that would make it work better. In low signal environments with my WM phones, I would force roaming and have crystal clear calls. With the Blackberry, the signal has to be starved to near 0 to switch. Annoying, IMO.

Edit: sorry for the messy link. I am not old enough to post links
Closed Thread