BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
noname
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel
Default On taking off Sched task from Domino BES...

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all,

A quick question as I do not have a test server to play with in the short term. I am cleaning up my Notes.ini so that Domino BES is running the minimum add-in tasks required. I am wondering if the "Sched" task is necessary at all for the Domino server that host the BES? Will the Calendar and Scheduling works fine if I take it off? My Domino BES does not host the users' mail databases.

Thanks very much in advance!

Old 04-26-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
jhoetzl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Based on this from here,

The Schedule Manager server task manages busytime for people, rooms, and resources.

It is therefore critical for this task to run on all Domino servers that host calendar usersxxx8217; mail files.

The Schedule Manager maintains a busytime database (busytime.nsf on non-clustered servers, clubusy.nsf on clustered servers) where the schedule information is maintained for all users, rooms, and resources. The busytime database does not require any manual maintenance. By default, only the server has access to the busytime database because data contained in it is not stored in "human readable" format and is accessible only using the published APIs.

I'd say, nope, don't need it there...

And just in case...
From here:

Just a heads up for those of you recently or about to upgrade to Domino 7. With the introduction of the new RnRMgr task to help manage Rooms and Resources, I've discovered an interesting dilemma that can occur.

The RnRMgr task requires that the busytime.nsf exist. If you have a habit during maintenance of deleting busytime.nsf and letting it rebuild, you will probably notice sometimes the RnRMgr tasks errors our and fails to load. The reason is because when the busytime.nsf does not exist, the Sched task must first create the busytime.nsf. If the RnRMgr loads to fast or prior to the Sched task, it will fail because the busytime.nsf does not exist.

And, one last link for you...
IBM Redbooks | Domino Tuning Parameters in notes.ini

Current Device: 8320 OS: 4.2.2.338
Previous Device: 8100 OS: 4.2.1.107
BES v4.1.5/Notes 7.0.2
Old 04-27-2007, 05:42 AM   #3
noname

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.

Thanks for the useful links, jhoetzl.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:06 AM   #4
mahoward
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900

FYI here are steps from my standard BES Domino install process, I do not run the SCHED task on any of my BES servers, with no issues:

Run Domino icon to configure Domino.
Install as an additional server
Select Customize Services and uncheck LDAP, Calendar Connector, Schedule Manager, DOLS, and Rooms & Resources Manager.
Choose Customize and uncheck NetBIOS port.
Setup as Primary Domino Directory
Old 04-27-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
noname

Thanks for sharing, mahoward!
Old 07-17-2007, 08:15 AM   #6
besmn

Model: 8700g
Default ServerTasks on my BES

You don't need much running on the BES. Here's the ServerTasks from mine:
SERVERTASKS=Replica,Router,Update,Adminp,BES
This is assuming BES is the only application running on the Domino server.
Closed Thread