Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 07:46 AM   #1
danwestness
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Default Wiping the Pearl

Please Login to Remove!

I want to COMPLETELY reset my peal back to the factory everything... original firmware, settings, OS... everything... just like it came out of the box new...

i tried JL_Cmder, but it just gives me to blue sceen of death in windows...

any other options?
Old 05-10-2007, 08:04 AM   #2
jhaedin_brennyn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwestness View Post
I want to COMPLETELY reset my peal back to the factory everything... original firmware, settings, OS... everything... just like it came out of the box new...

i tried JL_Cmder, but it just gives me to blue sceen of death in windows...

any other options?
What I do is uninstall the os from my computer then run the desktop manager and back everything back up then I do the wipe that's in the security settings

The dymond Mama
Old 05-10-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

To start with the original OS, you will need to know which it was, and go download it to your PC..

Where can I download Desktop Manager and / or the Handheld OS? - BlackBerryFAQ

How do I wipe the BlackBerry using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 05-10-2007, 08:08 AM   #4
danwestness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaedin_brennyn View Post
What I do is uninstall the os from my computer then run the desktop manager and back everything back up then I do the wipe that's in the security settings
Where in the Security Settings is the Wipe function?
Old 05-10-2007, 08:12 AM   #5
danwestness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
To start with the original OS, you will need to know which it was, and go download it to your PC..

Where can I download Desktop Manager and / or the Handheld OS? - BlackBerryFAQ

How do I wipe the BlackBerry using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ
I have the oriniginal version downloaded... just can't figure out how to downgrade the device... I have read the forums telling me to uninstall/reinstall... deleted the vendor file and run the desktop manager and application loader, but it never once prompts to downgrade... it will let me upgrade all day long though....

I already said that JL_CMDER doesn't work for me... blue screen of death everytime it gets to the point where it is going to wipe
Old 05-10-2007, 08:12 AM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

How do I wipe the BlackBerry from the device? - BlackBerryFAQ

Good luck.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:14 AM   #7
danwestness

Thanks J... i'll give that a try
Old 05-10-2007, 08:16 AM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwestness View Post
I have the oriniginal version downloaded... just can't figure out how to downgrade the device... I have read the forums telling me to uninstall/reinstall... deleted the vendor file and run the desktop manager and application loader, but it never once prompts to downgrade... it will let me upgrade all day long though....

I already said that JL_CMDER doesn't work for me... blue screen of death everytime it gets to the point where it is going to wipe
I know you said that, but using only the Security Wipe Handheld fuction will only wipe personal data from the BB (i.e. calendar, phone logs, etc.) It will not wipe an upgraded OS, other applications, etc. That is why I linked you to the FAQ on the detailed instructions. There is not a "downgrade" function in Application Loader, so you won't see it there.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:24 AM   #9
danwestness

The first link shows me where to download desktop manager... i have already done that... there are no additional detailed instructions on that page...

the second link shows me where to download JL_CMDER (which if you download it and run the install file it creates a link on your desktop that points to C:\Program Files\JL_CMDER\JL_CMDER.CMD... and doesn't even create a JL_CMDER directory, so the link is invalid)...
Old 05-10-2007, 08:28 AM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Dan, the first link points to the RIM link to download Desktop Manager AND it points to the link to your carrier's site from which you download your OS. At the first link... read carefully:

Access your service provider download site <--you click here.

I am sorry if you can't use Jl_cmder, it works for me and so many others.

You are ruling out your best options... I am just trying to assist you.

Last edited by JSanders; 05-10-2007 at 08:29 AM..
Old 05-10-2007, 08:37 AM   #11
danwestness

Sorry if i am a little snappy... i've just been so stressed out the last few days trying to fix this problem... i just spend 800 on this Garmin with the bluetooth handfree and it is having issues connecting... my girlfriend also has a Pearl and hers works fine with it... so i'm assuming it is the OS i have on here...

I have already downloaded desktop manager 4.2 SP1 and the 4.2.0.73 firmware OS for Cingular and have them ready to go.... just can't figure out how to get my os from 4.2.1.94 to 4.2.0.73 to fix it....

When i download JL_CMDER, all i see it doing is creating a shortcut on my desktop that points to a non-existent file and directory... obviously this is of no help for me.... i found a posting that had a ZIP file of the program files themselves for JL_CMDER post install and was able to run those... and got up to the point where i need to type "blackberry" to confirm my intention to wipe the unit... then my screen turns blue and reboots... I am running Windows Vista, so maybe that my problem... either way, i'm in a pickle here and i don't want to waste the $800 i just spend on my garmin by not being able to use my phone...

i don't mean to take it out on you, sorry....
Old 05-10-2007, 08:52 AM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Well let's see if another with more knowledge of Jl_cmder will pipe up... also, go ahead and PM a message to Lunkhead on here... and ask him about using Jl_cmder.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/member.php?u=1502
Old 05-10-2007, 08:58 AM   #13
danwestness

EUERKA!!!!

i figured it out... my own stupid error! i had 3 total Pearl OSs loaded on my machine and i only uninstalled the one not even thinking about the other 2... wow, i can't beleive i missed that!
Old 05-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #14
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8800: BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

What do you mean blue screen of death??? What OS are you on? XP or Vista? When you download Jl_ Cmder where are you unzipping it to?
Old 05-10-2007, 09:08 AM   #15
danwestness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8800: BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

What do you mean blue screen of death??? What OS are you on? XP or Vista? When you download Jl_ Cmder where are you unzipping it to?
I am running Windows Vista... it is not actually the "blue screen of death"... but my screen does turn complety blue (with no writing or messages) and then reboots after about 30 seconds.

When i download the JL_Cmder zip file i unzip the install file to my desktop and run it... the there is a link that appears on my desktop to C:\PROGRAM FILES\JL_CMDER\JL_CMDER.CMD... but it has not created a JL_CMDER directory in my PROGRAM FILES... so therefore the link is invalid... i can't find the program anywhere else on my hard drive either... just the desktop shortcut
Old 05-10-2007, 06:01 PM   #16
Mighty Aphrodite

PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default OS and Password

I've read and clicked all the posts and links concerning downloading an operating system; however, even when I check on my carrier's link (AT&T), the only option I have is to download the desktop manager version 4.2 with service pack. I never get a choice to download an operating system.

I'm hoping that if I can install/reinstall the OS that I can rid my Baby Pearl of needin a password. I worked at a company that required a password. Even though the firm sent an over-the-air wipe out, I am still prompted to input a password. Very, very annoying.

I noticed that someone said he found two or three versions of Pearl operating systems on his computer. What path would the OS be in?

Just to iterate:

1. I've gone to all the aforementioned links;
2. I have not found the option to download an upgrade for an OS
3. I am hoping that by reinstalling the OS I can get rid of necessity of a password (Yes, I've gone to Securit and tried to disable but I am not given this option.)

Thanks for your help in advance.
Closed Thread