BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Who want this program?!?!?
I want it, but will NOT pay for it 4 25.00%
I want it, and will pay a resonable price for it 7 43.75%
I don't really care... 5 31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 09:14 AM   #1
danwestness
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Exclamation Block annoying people

Please Login to Remove!

Ok... this is a request for a developer to create an application....

I have a crazy ex-girlfriend who keeps blowing up my phone with calls and SMS messages... i know there is the BlockBerry application that will block her calls... but i really need to block the TEXTS...

I used to have the Treo 650 that had a few program options to acheive this and worked great... it allowed me to just delete a persons sms immediately without me seeing them... or delete and reply with a definable message (like... "leave me alone you crazy *!@#$%")....

it also had the option that when somebody called to have them go directly to voicemail and bypass the missed call list all together... or have the option to pickup/hangup on them so they can't leave messages either...

So... for all of us with annoying friends/ex-girlfriends/ex-boyfriends/mother's in law/ex-wifes/alimony lawers/telemarketers/paperazzi in our lives... please for god sakes put your programing skills to work and help us out!!!!

THANK YOU!!!
Old 05-10-2007, 09:18 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

That program is available--It's called a restraining order.

lol, maybe somebody will come up with some program less intrusive though.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:24 AM   #3
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T

You could perhaps contact your carrier to see if they'll block her number. I have heard of this working awhile ago, not sure if they still do this though.

Last edited by paulbblc; 05-10-2007 at 09:26 AM..
Old 05-10-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
danwestness

i would do that... but my little story there is mainly for example purposes... there are many people i would block for many reasons and maybe for only short periods of time..

example: i have a close friend who gets drunk on the weekends and calls me no less than 12 times per night when he's drinking....

i don't want to shut my phone off at night either in case there is an emergency.

i don't want to change my phone number because i use it for business and all my business cards have it on them and my entire client base has this number...

it's not JUST about the crazy ex-girlfriend... but i didn't want to go into the details of every scenario where this program would come in very useful.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
rkkeller
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Seems your full of excuses. Change your number, get new cards and your client base is not that big it will kill you to email or call them.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:05 PM   #6
danwestness

Why does everybody want to fight me on this one??? i am not the first person to request this tiny little application...

whatever my reasons are... or my friends... or my family... there are a lot of us out there that have people we would rather not talk to or be burdened by. There are many applications for this utilitiy and i don't think i should have to go through the hassle of changing my phone number everytime there is somebody that won't leave me alone.

It's sooo much easier to install a small utility than get new business cards and loose contact with my clients (i have over 1800 clients who i would rather not have to re-distribute my phone number to)

I have had the same phone number for 10 years and will not change it just to try to escape somebody who will most likely because to get my new phone number just simply by calling my office and asking my secretary for it!
Old 05-10-2007, 12:18 PM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Hey, I agree this is a needed app. We have the call blocker, BerryBlocker, but it would be useful for SMS, etc., just like I can block certain email address in my outlook or email server via blacklist.

That said, dump the the alcoholic friend for sure.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #8
Kopter

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon (BES)

I agree that there is a need for something like this. I mean what if you have a crazy, ALCOHOLIC, ex girlfriend who is also a client.?? (kidding)

I use something called YOUMAIL for my voicemail. It allows for individual, customizable greetings to any caller you like. It has a 'ditch' feature which allows you to do just that... it hangs up on a caller after they hear your messge. Its pretty cool. you can find it at YouMail -dot- com.
And no.. I am not in any manner, shape or form affilitated with them....
They might still be in BETA but I have used them for some time now.
As far as SMS blocker... I can't help with that one.

Hope it helps.

And a note to rkkeller... your reply was a little rough. I have been a member/lurker here for some time now and it always amazes me that folks post responses like yours... people come here looking for help and your reply: "Seems your full of excuses. Change your number, get new cards and your client base is not that big it will kill you to email or call them" had no point whatsoever.
Note to the Mods... sorry that i went there but it gets silly sometimes.

Last edited by Kopter; 05-10-2007 at 01:42 PM..
Old 05-10-2007, 01:33 PM   #9
FroogleThis

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopter View Post
I agree that there is a need for something like this. I mean what if you have a crazy, ALCOHOLIC, ex girlfriend who is also a client.?? (kidding)

I use something called YOUMAIL for my voicemail. It allows for individual, customizable greetings to any caller you like. It has a 'ditch' feature which allows you to do just that... it hangs up on a caller after they hear your messge. Its pretty cool. you can find it at YouMail -dot- com.
And no.. I am not in any manner, shape or form affilitated with them....
They might still be in BETA but iIhave used them for some time now.
As far as SMS blocker... I can't help with that one.

Hope it helps.

And a note to rkkeller... your reply was a little rough. I have been a member/lurker here for some time now and it always amazes me that folks post responses like yours... people come here looking for help and your reply: "Seems your full of excuses. Change your number, get new cards and your client base is not that big it will kill you to email or call them" had no point whatsoever.
Note to the Mods... sorry that i went there but it gets silly sometimes.
Thanks for that mention of YOUMAIL. That would actually be pretty useful.

As for what you said about his response-- I agree, but some could argue that he put a lot of personal info out to be judged. Had it been me, I would have simply said "Changing numbers is not an option" and left it at that. I understand though, some people have more faith in humanity. In truth, we all judge eachother in one way or another. It would have been much easier for those rude members to simply click the "Back" button.
Closed Thread