Old 08-06-2007, 02:23 PM   #1
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Default Telenav/Pearl 5.1.0.54 issues

Please Login to Remove!

I had the opportunity to use TeleNav quite a bit over the weekend along with my new Freedom Mini GPS receiver. There are still some bugs in the .54 and/or some BT bugs in the 4.2.1.101 OS.

Here is what I found:

TMobile 8100
4.2.1.101 OS
TeleNav 5.1.0.54

1. Some fields use SureType, some use MultiTap. for example the "Recent Places" and "Airport" use SureType, but "Business" and "Intersection"use MultiTap. "Address" uses some kind of variant where it sees if you are typing numbers first or letters first and makes one or the other default. This is quite confusing, to say the least.

2. While traveling a route if you leave network coverage, it should continue to track and follow along your route (you only lose reroute capabilities.) It does do this but comes up with a popup message that says "Out of network coverage, move to an open area." When you click "Retry" or "Cancel" the message pops right back up again. If you click cancel 4 or 5 times it will will disappear for about 10 seconds and come back. There is no way to get rid of it completely for any length of time. Very annoying as you can't see the map when the popup is there. The map is useless when out of network coverage.

3. There are still issues with the bluetooth connection and TeleNav. Sometimes I can get a connection when entering Telenav and sometimes not. If I do several searches from within TeleNav, occasionally it will lose the bluetooth connection. When I exit TeleNav to go check the bluetooth connection the small arrows next to the bluetooth icon are still there indicating the bluetooth is connected but the connection has actually been lost. The only way to remedy the situation is to turn bluetooth off and back on on the BB. Sometimes it's even necessary to turn the BT puck off and back on, as well. I haven't noticed this problem in BBMaps. Not sure if it's a TeleNav issue or an OS issue. I'd say about 60% of the time it takes several tries to get a connection and finally get a route.

I haven't tried my BT-359 with 5.1.0.54 as I just got the Freedom Mini and wanted to give it a thorough workout.

If anyone else has any of these or other issues post here and I will send them to TeleNav.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post

2. While traveling a route if you leave network coverage, it should continue to track and follow along your route (you only lose reroute capabilities.) It does do this but comes up with a popup message that says "Out of network coverage, move to an open area." When you click "Retry" or "Cancel" the message pops right back up again. If you click cancel 4 or 5 times it will will disappear for about 10 seconds and come back. There is no way to get rid of it completely for any length of time. Very annoying as you can't see the map when the popup is there. The map is useless when out of network coverage.

I had the same problem. Even when I got back into network coverage, the only way to "fix" it was to shutdown telenav, turn off bluetooth, turn bluetooth back on, restart telenav, and get the route again. Not very good.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
ZBB
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

I was using 5.1.0.54 a couple weeks ago and also noticed your issue #1 - that different fields use SureType vs Multi Tap...

The address field that starts off with numbers, then goes to SureType (kind-off) really has some bizarre results. The first time I tried typing in an address, I couldn't get it to work -- fortunately, I had a person in my contact list with that address, so I was able to just look him up. But I got it to work today -- but I had to put an extra number in the address since it deleted the last item entered when switching to numbers.

Other issues (I use a Pearl, but these may be on other versions):
- I've also noticed that when saving favorites, it types in all CAPS, and haven't found a way to change it.
- The traffic feature is essentially useless. I got a traffic alert, but it couldn't find an alternate route around the traffic (and this was in northern NJ...). Other times, it doesn't give traffic alerts, even though I've been on a road with traffic sensors (and Google Maps shows yellow or red)...
- It would be nice to be able to turn off voice prompts while on a call. I was using it the other day, and a call came in. The voice prompt drowned out the call. Its nice that they happen, but I would prefer to turn them off...

I'm considering going back to 4.7 -- I tried that for one short trip just before .54 was released. Overall I liked it better (even if it was slow to respond at times). I also may just drop the service (I'm in my free month)... I have a dedicated Garmin unit that still works well (although it is old and I haven't updated the maps in a couple years)...
Old 08-06-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
MaryBeth

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: various
Default (message from TeleNav representative)

John - hi there:

1) Let me check with our engineers on this to find out if I can provide background/feedback.

2) In order to continue to receive the directions when out of wireless coverage area on a BlackBerry with a GPS puck (or using A-GPS built-in), you need to be in "icon only" and or icon with corner map mode. 2D and 3D require that data be sent more often so when the system tries to connect with the wireless service to gather this data, you will get the error message you received. To avoid this, please switch to icon only or icon with corner map mode when you know you will be traveling out of wireless coverage.

3) Which Bluetooth receiver are you using? There are many models currently available so we can only guarantee it will work with those which we have tested. I can check on the model you are using to see if it is one that we have tested.

ZBB:

1) Can you tell me why saving my favorites in CAPS causes problems? I can certainly share the feedback with our team but want to make sure I understand how this impacts your experience.

2) I'll share the feedback on the traffic alerts. Please note though that we have traffic information for major highways but not yet for sidestreets. This should be the same as other providers, however, because sidestreet information is still challenging to gather and monitor. There are instances, however, when there will not be a faster route than your current route.

3) You can turn off the voice prompts in version 5.1. Go to Tools and Extras, then Preferences, then Audio Options. Choose "No Audio."

Hope this is helpful,
Mary Beth
Old 08-06-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Wirelessly posted (BB 8860: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

MaryBeth,
Thanks for answering! Welcome to BBF, by the way. For this trip I used the new Freedom Mini GPS receiver from Freedom Input. Its brand new so may not be on your list. I also have the BT-359 but didn't use it on this trip.

It would be nice to be able to use SureType for all fields, if desired. Otherwise I can't remember which field I'm in and I start typing and get something unexpected until I look close to see which field I'm in.

As far as the out of coverage prompt, 4.7 did not do this. It was seamless into and out of network coverage. Was there a change in how 5.1 works making this change necessary? I notice that underneath the message the map still is updating but its just blocked by the popup. It would be nice to be able to not see the message again until going into and back out of coverage again. I will try the icon views next time and see what happens. However, once I get a map up and going I don't like to Mrs with it as that is when problems with the BT connection usually arise. Also, it would be nice to change a few more options while mapping is active like turn on and off the audio, etc. Maybe even add an option for audio on or off during calls, as well.

As far as the Bluetooth connection/disconnection issues go, I'm not sure if its a RIM OS issue or a TeleNav issue. Its been an issue in the past, though, too.

Thanks for reading and posting in this thread.

Again, welcome to BBF.

John
Old 08-07-2007, 09:15 AM   #6
Resipsa

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
John - hi there:

1) Let me check with our engineers on this to find out if I can provide background/feedback.

2) In order to continue to receive the directions when out of wireless coverage area on a BlackBerry with a GPS puck (or using A-GPS built-in), you need to be in "icon only" and or icon with corner map mode. 2D and 3D require that data be sent more often so when the system tries to connect with the wireless service to gather this data, you will get the error message you received. To avoid this, please switch to icon only or icon with corner map mode when you know you will be traveling out of wireless coverage.

3) Which Bluetooth receiver are you using? There are many models currently available so we can only guarantee it will work with those which we have tested. I can check on the model you are using to see if it is one that we have tested.

ZBB:

1) Can you tell me why saving my favorites in CAPS causes problems? I can certainly share the feedback with our team but want to make sure I understand how this impacts your experience.

2) I'll share the feedback on the traffic alerts. Please note though that we have traffic information for major highways but not yet for sidestreets. This should be the same as other providers, however, because sidestreet information is still challenging to gather and monitor. There are instances, however, when there will not be a faster route than your current route.

3) You can turn off the voice prompts in version 5.1. Go to Tools and Extras, then Preferences, then Audio Options. Choose "No Audio."

Hope this is helpful,
Mary Beth
Hi Marybeth, I was wondering what you mean by "icon only"mode. Do you mean static map mode? I cannot find on the menus any option for an "icon only" mode.

I'd also like to add my two cents regarding losing the bluetooth connection, this occurs frequently with my Curve and the IBT-747 i'm using, which you have apparently tested to work fine with Telenav.

thanks for any help

Vic
Old 08-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #7
MaryBeth

Model: 8800
Carrier: various

Thanks for the welcome - I hope I can help answer some of your questions. I also am happy to share all this feedback directly with our engineers and product team. We do value it and, as proof, you'll see much of your feedback resulting in changes in next version as appropriate. It always good to hear what our users think can be done better so that we can consider this in our product development cycle.

I've found out that the Bluetooth connection issue must be a result of a problem with the receiver and the RIM device, vs. with our software. Our engineers haven't been able to replicate the problem but they have told me it would have to be something related to the device. They may be able to share this feedback with RIM directly however so please continue to notify us of these problems.

They like your feedback on SureType and will work on developing this and testing this for future versions.

Unfortunately you cannot change the audible prompts as a preference per each call (only as an overall preference) but they like this feedback as well and will look into incorporating this ability in a version in the near future. This would result in the audio prompts automatically suspending during a call (as a default preference) although you will still have the option of hearing the prompts during the call if you wish.

Finally, to answer your question regarding "icon only" - the exact option should read "turn icons" mode. Let me know if you don't see this.

Thanks,
Mary Beth
Old 08-09-2007, 01:22 PM   #8
ZBB
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
ZBB:

Hope this is helpful,
Mary Beth
thanks Mary Beth...

1) Well, CAPS is considered yelling online -- and the expectation these days is that forcing CAPS is rude... Plus I prefer to have things in regular sentence case. This is a pretty minor issue though.

2) I realize side-street info is most likely missing. I was just surprised that Telenav did not give me any warning while on AZ51 (in Phoenix), when Google Maps had a relatively accurate red/yellow/green for that same section of freeway.

3) I saw that I could turn it off... I usually prefer to keep the voice prompts on... Would be nice to have an option to turn voice prompts off when on a phone call only though... I have a bluetooth handsfree kit in my car -- and the voice prompt completely drowned out the person I was on the phone with...
Old 09-02-2007, 04:39 PM   #9
jdcgeovani

Carrier: O2 UK
Default Lost connection

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome - I hope I can help answer some of your questions. I also am happy to share all this feedback directly with our engineers and product team. We do value it and, as proof, you'll see much of your feedback resulting in changes in next version as appropriate. It always good to hear what our users think can be done better so that we can consider this in our product development cycle.

I've found out that the Bluetooth connection issue must be a result of a problem with the receiver and the RIM device, vs. with our software. Our engineers haven't been able to replicate the problem but they have told me it would have to be something related to the device. They may be able to share this feedback with RIM directly however so please continue to notify us of these problems.

They like your feedback on SureType and will work on developing this and testing this for future versions.

Unfortunately you cannot change the audible prompts as a preference per each call (only as an overall preference) but they like this feedback as well and will look into incorporating this ability in a version in the near future. This would result in the audio prompts automatically suspending during a call (as a default preference) although you will still have the option of hearing the prompts during the call if you wish.

Finally, to answer your question regarding "icon only" - the exact option should read "turn icons" mode. Let me know if you don't see this.

Thanks,
Mary Beth

I have been having the same problem where it loses connection with the GPS receiver as well. I personally don't think it is a problem with the device and RIM, as i also use wayfinder and blackberry maps with the same receiver and they have not on any occasion lost connection with the device. Maybe telenav engineers should investigate further, as i'd like to use telenav as my main navigator as i love its features.

dd

Last edited by jdcgeovani; 09-02-2007 at 04:41 PM..
Old 09-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

The Bluetooth issues are a RIM OS issue. It has to do with the Bluetooth stack in the OS for the Pearl. However, each application will access bluetooth differently so results in each application can vary. Bluetooth in TeleNav using 4.2.1 doesn't work very well. However, if you downgrade the OS to 4.2.0 it works fine. There is also the same issue with the 3rd party app called bbtracker and it requires a reboot when the bluetooth won't connect.

I hope somebody comes up with a fix because it is quite annoying, to say the least.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:23 PM   #11
lilitiki
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Yes, had this bt issue in NY.... don't use gps so much here at home, so I'm probably just not seeing the same issue yet.

Please keep us posted on a fix for this..

t
Closed Thread