Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 03:31 AM   #1
bauer1979

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-MOBILE
Question Bittorrent App For Pearl????

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone know of an O.T.A Torrent App that can slam files to Micro SD? i know it would be very time consuming, but with unlimited data plan, one can set it down for a little while. Or, you could still use other apps...
Old 08-26-2007, 04:58 AM   #2
fbueller
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer1979 View Post
Does anyone know of an O.T.A Torrent App that can slam files to Micro SD? i know it would be very time consuming, but with unlimited data plan, one can set it down for a little while. Or, you could still use other apps...
Over GPRS? Not bloody likely.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:07 AM   #3
had2haveit

Model: 8800
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Yea dude just use Blackberrytorrent Found here www.yeaokpal.keepdreamin
Old 08-26-2007, 10:12 AM   #4
Nextel User
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: AT&T

lol......maybe when we get 3G
Old 08-26-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
djxedxd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: bic,no ball point,wait its blue
Carrier: Verizon

Theres some truth to this .If you google P2P for mobile you'll find some stuff on it . I had a beta version of kazaa for mobile way back when but it never worked right .I think they all pretty much gave up on the idea this wAS like 3 years ago so if you didnt hear nuthing about it yet it aint out no more cause that would be big news .
Old 08-26-2007, 08:10 PM   #6
nuopus
No longer Registered.

Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB

Quote:
Why the heck would you want to do that? Even if there was 3G .. which there is not currently, the download would stop as soon as the phone goes on standby for not being on it for a while. And, while the torrent is actively downloading it would stop incoming calls from coming in.

So my question is ... why the heck would you want an app that will drain your battery VERY quickly because it would have to prevent phone from going into standby and use up high processor usage, and prevent incoming calls from happening for long durations? I don't think you thought about any of this.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
bauer1979

Thumbs down Funny

It's too bad you're just a geek had2haveit, you probably could have been a comedian. Oh well...
Old 08-27-2007, 12:59 PM   #8
ollywompus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (7105t: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Not that strange of request really... Symbian s60 has had a bittorrent client for quite some time that worked fine, albeit slowly, over EDGE, called Symtorrent. I used to use it to grab random songs when I had them stuck in my head, or even whole albums (though I usually waired until I had a wifi connection for the larger downloads). I even used it to grab a linux live cd ISO when my lappy crashed last Christmas at the in laws, and no one else had an internet connected computer (thank you starbucks wifi lol)... Once downloaded, I just transferred to a friends desktop computer via usb, burned to disc and was up and running. Have also used it to download tarballs from sourceforge when I needed to get the latest ndiswrapper to get my lappy up and running. Definitely has its uses!

-olly
YIM: seattleolly
Old 08-27-2007, 01:56 PM   #9
BlackBerryCoolSimon
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Rogers

Yeah, file sharing on mobile isn't quite at the Bittorrent level yet, although with Wi-Fi becoming more popular, you'll be seeing some more Zune-style stuff happening. Memory's getting bigger, what with 32 GB SD cards in the works from Toshiba, and as network speeds increase with WiMAX and other 3G fun, P2P applications could very well go mobile in the nearish future. For now though, it's just a pipe dream.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:06 PM   #10
had2haveit

Carrier: t-mobile

[QUOTE=bauer1979;647115]It's too bad you're just a geek had2haveit, you probably could have been a comedian. Oh well... [/QUOTE

I hope you can take a joke man. Just a little humor. I'm sorry if I got your hopes up or something. Yea torrents on a bb would be nice if it wasn't completely unfeasable. Just dl what you need on a real high speed connect and flash it. Isnt that good enough?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:22 PM   #11
nuopus
No longer Registered.

Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollywompus View Post
Wirelessly posted (7105t: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Not that strange of request really... Symbian s60 has had a bittorrent client for quite some time that worked fine, albeit slowly, over EDGE, called Symtorrent. I used to use it to grab random songs when I had them stuck in my head, or even whole albums (though I usually waired until I had a wifi connection for the larger downloads). I even used it to grab a linux live cd ISO when my lappy crashed last Christmas at the in laws, and no one else had an internet connected computer (thank you starbucks wifi lol)... Once downloaded, I just transferred to a friends desktop computer via usb, burned to disc and was up and running. Have also used it to download tarballs from sourceforge when I needed to get the latest ndiswrapper to get my lappy up and running. Definitely has its uses!

-olly
Like I said ... there are inherent problems that make this an improbability over only EDGE. WiFi I can see as a possibility, but thats it. On pure EDGE, you run risk of extremely high latency, EXTREMELY poor battery life because phone can't go on standby, and no incoming calls during the transfer. So all of those disadvantages tell me why this hasnt happened, and probably will never happen unless data on a BB is on a separate line so voice still works, and there is 3G.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:47 PM   #12
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

well rumor has it that RIM is working on a P2P app.

This WOULD be excellent for accessing your .PST files on a corporate network connected PC? Maybe available even if offline and sync wirelessly even on EDGE or on WiFi both would be sufficient because only a few MB/sync would be needed not the entire 1.9MB maximum of a .PST file ;)
Old 08-28-2007, 11:49 AM   #13
bauer1979

Talking I was joking too

I had to rib ya back had2haveit. I'm not that sensitive, trust me. Ppl take things too seriously. Just know if I post something,it's all jokes. I'm not here to start crap with everyone. I really like that fact that some ppl can ask a question here regardless of their knowledge of BB, and have people really give it thought and give a valid answer to the post. we're all here for pretty much the same reasons. Take care!

Last edited by bauer1979; 08-28-2007 at 12:28 PM..
Closed Thread