BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
Jempast

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default I'm a Verizon customer with a few questions about BlackBerry Phones.....

Please Login to Remove!

I am a Verizon customer. I am wanting to get a BlackBerry. I don't know that much about BlackBerrys. Here are my questions:

1) Do all of the BlackBerry's have Microsoft Excel?
2) How does the internet work and how much can a monthly bill run up to using a BlackBerry?
3) What is the best BlackBerry to get for around $150 (if there is one that cheap)?

If someone could answer these questions I would appreciate it.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Hi and welcome.

1. Blackberries do not come with Excel, but there are third party programs that enable you to view Excel documents.

2. Verizon has a fixed monthly rate for the BB data plan. You should check with your local Verizon store or their website for the rates. There is a cap on the data transfer, but an average BB user would not exceed that cap IMO.

3. Check Verizon's site for BB prices and rebates. Also there's a forum here where people sell BBs. There's also eBay, but that can be risky.

Hth.

Edit to add... this may help answer some of your questions.
Main Page - BlackBerryFAQ

Last edited by daphne; 09-16-2007 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: add info
Old 09-16-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

As for Excel, there is a program called eOffice that sells for around $120 or so for the basic edition, $200 for the professional version. Look at Handango.com

Check out the FAQ before you buy a used BB. If you don't know what you are doing you can really get burned.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #4
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

As far as monthly bill, plan on paying $50 per month on top of whatever phone plan you choose.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:11 AM   #5
danbra
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: do not use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jempast View Post
I am a Verizon customer. I am wanting to get a BlackBerry. I don't know that much about BlackBerrys. Here are my questions:

1) Do all of the BlackBerry's have Microsoft Excel?
2) How does the internet work and how much can a monthly bill run up to using a BlackBerry?
3) What is the best BlackBerry to get for around $150 (if there is one that cheap)?

If someone could answer these questions I would appreciate it.
You may buy eOffice at a discounted price if contact our Customer Care Department at [email address]
Old 09-19-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
Ennjay
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Verizons plans start at $80 with 450 peak, unlimited in calling/nights/weekends. That also includes the unlimited data plan. You might also qualify for a corporate discount if your company has contracts with Verizon.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:42 PM   #7
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
As far as monthly bill, plan on paying $50 per month on top of whatever phone plan you choose.
It's actually $45/month for the unlimited data plan if you also have a voice plan. And Verizon will require you to have a data plan. No way around it. It will be added and charged to your bill automatically.

While I don't recommend it, they do have a $25/month plan that will limit you to 10MB of data usage. If you go over that limit, you'll need a new mortgage.

A new BlackBerry will cost you at least $199 with a 2 year agreement. That cost might be a little lower if they still sell some of the older models, but I don't think they do. You could always try to find a used unit here on the BBForums or on eBay. But be very careful.

As Ennjay said, they do have bundled plans now that kind of obscure the cost of the data plans. They did that recently (within the past few months) and had an advertising campaign that made it seem like they drastically overhauled their price plans. They didn't; they're exactly the same as before. Just combined features and started advertising the combined rates.

Last edited by gdpmumin; 09-19-2007 at 01:45 PM..
Old 09-19-2007, 02:03 PM   #8
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

$45 + $5 insurance = $ 50
Old 09-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #9
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
$45 + $5 insurance = $ 50
Ah, yes, you're exactly. While completely optional, insurance is a good thing to have. It has saved me a couple of times.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:30 PM   #10
daphne

Based on some replies here, it seems to me that Verizon plans and rates vary by geographical area. Some of the options mentioned here aren't available where I live.

Last edited by daphne; 09-20-2007 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: I goofed
Old 09-21-2007, 12:17 PM   #11
TreyS
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550

I will add that you can already view any Excel spreadsheet, Powerpoint preso or Word doc with your Verizon 8703e or 8830 blackberry. No need for additional software. Now if you want to edit and manipulate those files, then you need the programs mentioned above.

You can even view pdfs too.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #12
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Based on some replies here, it seems to me that Verizon plans and rates vary by geographical area. Some of the options mentioned here aren't available where I live.
As far as I know, verizon's plans are not based on regions. What "options" are not available in your area?
Old 09-22-2007, 02:31 AM   #13
daphne

You posted above:

Quote:
It's actually $45/month for the unlimited data plan if you also have a voice plan.
and:
Quote:
While I don't recommend it, they do have a $25/month plan that will limit you to 10MB of data usage.
I have never seen those plans available here on the Verizon wireless website when I put in my zip code, never heard them mentioned in the store or by customer service.

The plans are not separated out into voice and data, they are presented as a package deal. For example for monthly airtime minutes for voice and data together -- 450 minutes is $79.99, 900 minutes is $99.99, 1350 minutes is $109.99. They go upwards in minutes and cost from there. Text messaging is per message, or "Unlimited IN Messaging PLUS 500 additional messages $10.00/month" and upwards.

Looking at the regular cell phone rates, it would seem the Blackberry plans are $40 higher than a regular cell phone plan for what they call "America's Choice® Basic". The plans for the Q are presented just the same as the Blackberry plans.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:35 AM   #14
daphne

Those rates don't include insurance, either.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:38 AM   #15
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

It doesn't really matter, though. I wouldn't recommend the 10MB plan anyway. So whether they're separated out or bundled together, in the end, it's all the same. Unless you want a Blackberry with ONLY the data plan, which is also an option.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:09 PM   #16
pfrgsn@columbus.rr.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Hi and welcome.

1. Blackberries do not come with Excel, but there are third party programs that enable you to view Excel documents.

2. Verizon has a fixed monthly rate for the BB data plan. You should check with your local Verizon store or their website for the rates. There is a cap on the data transfer, but an average BB user would not exceed that cap IMO.

3. Check Verizon's site for BB prices and rebates. Also there's a forum here where people sell BBs. There's also eBay, but that can be risky.

Hth.

Edit to add... this may help answer some of your questions.
Main Page - BlackBerryFAQ
I just upgraded from my Motorola E815 to the Blackberry 8830 and it was $99. after a mail in rebate. I qualified for the phone upgrade and the new 2-year contract.
Closed Thread