Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 10:46 PM   #1
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Hotspots

Please Login to Remove!

Ok... if you have been reading some of my posts, you know that I am hoping that the 8300 will be able to access HotSpots without paying extra for it.

Some thinks it can be done and some thinks it can not be done.

Now what I want to some confirmation if it can be done or not. We are about a week away from the Blackberry 8300 Curve launch.

From the product service guide I have seen, it looks like it can not be done without paying extra for it.

Can anyone also confirm this?

If it can not be done than... *gasps* I may have to go to the dark side... and get a Wing phone from T-mobile.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:53 PM   #2
Mark_Venture
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile (w) - Verizon (P)

As I have already posted several times....

I can confirm... I can connect my T-Mo 8320 to my home linksys wrt54g... establish a UMA connection for voice and data.

And I am NOT paying for H@H.

PS. I have even disabled "wireless network" under Manage Connections... and continue to use the UMA connection for voice and data. HOWEVER.. because I don't subscribe to H@H, it eats my regular voice minutes as if I was just using the usual cellular coverage.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:24 PM   #3
zuiko
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm thinking the question is "Can you access T-Mobile hotspots for free?" The old WM plan bundled the hotspot access which is why it was $20 a month over BIS ($30 for the data and $20 for the hotspot access). Now all the plans are $40. I got no idea if the hotspot access is still included in the new, cheaper WM plan, or if it has been added to the new, more expensive, BIS plan. I got no idea... if I had to guess I'd say you'd have to pay an extra $20 a month for hotspot access on top of the $10 for H@H and $40 for BIS/BES.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this... this was my understanding as to why WM was $20 a month extra... that was enough to rule out a WM device from the start.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:57 AM   #4
Mark_Venture
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: T-Mobile (w) - Verizon (P)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko View Post
I'm thinking the question is "Can you access T-Mobile hotspots for free?"
Oh, well if that is the question.. then I have no clue...
Old 09-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #5
jalsk

Model: 9700

So I have the myFaves service, do you think I'll get unlimited calling over wifi to people that are in my Fave 5 (without subscribing to the H@H service)? If so, I will be beating on the door of my local T-Mobile store to buy this phone on Monday... I hate my cell reception at my house.

-Jalsk
Old 09-18-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
juice901
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko View Post
I'm thinking the question is "Can you access T-Mobile hotspots for free?" The old WM plan bundled the hotspot access which is why it was $20 a month over BIS ($30 for the data and $20 for the hotspot access). Now all the plans are $40. I got no idea if the hotspot access is still included in the new, cheaper WM plan, or if it has been added to the new, more expensive, BIS plan. I got no idea... if I had to guess I'd say you'd have to pay an extra $20 a month for hotspot access on top of the $10 for H@H and $40 for BIS/BES.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this... this was my understanding as to why WM was $20 a month extra... that was enough to rule out a WM device from the start.
BIS is still $19.99 if you have a voice plan. They only raised the price for BIS for data only plans.
The info at T-Mobile's H@H site says that calling from Tmo Hotspot sites is included but who knows if that means you could use data for free as well at a hotspot.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
StanSimmons
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsk View Post
So I have the myFaves service, do you think I'll get unlimited calling over wifi to people that are in my Fave 5 (without subscribing to the H@H service)? If so, I will be beating on the door of my local T-Mobile store to buy this phone on Monday... I hate my cell reception at my house.

-Jalsk
ALL normal phone operations will work over the wifi/UMA connection, including MyFaves.

If you have broadband at home, and wifi at home, then the new TMO 8320 BB Curve will let you use your wifi as a cell site.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:59 PM   #8
Nerd
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have a question that can piggyback on those already asked in this thread. While connecting over a wi-fi signal, are unlimited nights/weekends, t-mobile to t-mobile, and other bundled unlimited minutes still used if they apply to the call/data transmission at hand? Or will you be eating anytime minutes as long as you're on a wi-fi signal and haven't purchased a hotspot@home plan?

Sorry if this is a redundant question, I'd just like to completely clarify and make a logical decision on a new plan from now so I'm ready for launch-time.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:14 PM   #9
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
I have a question that can piggyback on those already asked in this thread. While connecting over a wi-fi signal, are unlimited nights/weekends, t-mobile to t-mobile, and other bundled unlimited minutes still used if they apply to the call/data transmission at hand? Or will you be eating anytime minutes as long as you're on a wi-fi signal and haven't purchased a hotspot@home plan?

Sorry if this is a redundant question, I'd just like to completely clarify and make a logical decision on a new plan from now so I'm ready for launch-time.
As Stan indicated above, a wi-fi signal will serve as a cell site to connect to the TMO network, with or without the H@H plan. . . H@H plan is basically an Unlimited calling plan using UMA, similar to the VOIP service offerd by Vonage, Optimum Voice, etc . . .

Without subscribing to H@H, calls made over UMA are treated as if you're connected to a cellsite . . . MTM, MyFaves, Nights & Weekends are still free if these features are currently part of your calling plan. . .
Old 09-19-2007, 04:17 PM   #10
flash24

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks for confirming mark

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 09-19-2007, 06:22 PM   #11
secrecyguy

It seems that I will be able to use the Blackberry 8300 Curve using HotSpots without paying extra for it.

I see what happens when the 8300 Curve comes out. I was going to get it when it first comes out but I will see what other people are saying about it when it comes out. So if I do get it, it probably be a week after the release.

Now the next question is, if the 8300 Curve connect to the HotSpots, I wonder if I will get high speed connection?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:21 AM   #12
Nerd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisambo View Post
As Stan indicated above, a wi-fi signal will serve as a cell site to connect to the TMO network, with or without the H@H plan. . . H@H plan is basically an Unlimited calling plan using UMA, similar to the VOIP service offerd by Vonage, Optimum Voice, etc . . .

Without subscribing to H@H, calls made over UMA are treated as if you're connected to a cellsite . . . MTM, MyFaves, Nights & Weekends are still free if these features are currently part of your calling plan. . .
Thanks for clarifying!
Old 09-21-2007, 02:22 PM   #13
secrecyguy

Now since the Blackberry 8320 have a early release and sales on some of their stores, I decided to bump this up.

Now for people who owns it now, can you confirm that it really does work on HotSpots like most people say it will without paying extra for HotSpots?

And what speed are you getting at the Hotspots?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:58 PM   #14
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrecyguy View Post
Now since the Blackberry 8320 have a early release and sales on some of their stores, I decided to bump this up.

Now for people who owns it now, can you confirm that it really does work on HotSpots like most people say it will without paying extra for HotSpots?

And what speed are you getting at the Hotspots?
The 8320's wi-fi settings is pre-configured with Hotspot and H@H . . . It automatically latches on to the available wi-fi signal as soon as it's detected . . . For secured networks, you need to know SSID if it's not broadcasted, and security key.
Closed Thread