Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 03:50 PM   #1
jacobp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default NEW! Jabra SP500 Speakerphone

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone seen this new offering from Jabra. It is apparently full duplex and supports Bluetooth 1.2.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:39 AM   #2
fullwave2
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT

Yes, I've seen the press release that went out back in March and this is the answer I got from Jabra with regard to their plans on releasing it:

Thank you for choosing Jabra North America!
The SP500 has not been released yet. The latest information that we have
is showing mid-July, but no exact date.
If you have any further questions we are available Monday-Friday 8:00am
to 8:00pm EST.

Eric
Jabra, North America
Technical Support
800-327-2230
www.jabra.com
Old 06-22-2005, 07:32 AM   #3
lookaBlackberryEyeLash

Model: 7290

I know Motorola offers a Bluetooth speakerphone
the HF800 at
$99.99 at
www.cingular.com
Old 06-22-2005, 08:07 AM   #4
fullwave2

Thanks for the info on the Motorola unit. I guess some comparisons are in order.

Talk/Standby time Motorola 3 hrs/100 hrs - Jabra 20 hrs/480 hrs
Audio Digital Signal Processing (DSP) Moto - No Jabra - Yes
Automatic Volume Control - Moto - No Jabra Yes
BlueTooth 1.1 & 1.2 Support Moto- 1.1 only Jabra Both
Speaker Volume Moto 1 watt Jabra 2 watts (96 db at max)

All the other features are pretty much the same.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:18 AM   #5
fullwave2

This is from the Marketing Manager at Jabra:
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, June 24, 2005 8:02 AM
To:
Subject: RE: Jabra SP500 Availability

You will be able to purchase the SP500 at Brookstone and through Jabra.com in the next two weeks. It will be a few more weeks before you see it anywhere else.
Thanks
Heidi
Old 07-13-2005, 01:09 AM   #6
pberquam

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Has anyone had a chance to check this out yet? I've seen it listed on brookstone.com for $100, any idea if it's available in the brick and mortars?

I'm finally replacing my 7210 with a 7290, and my only real holdout to getting it over the 7100 (short of Polyphonic tones) was the speakerphone option.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2005, 04:38 AM   #7
fullwave2

I have had an advance order in with them for the SP500. They must have just put that on their site as it wasn't there earlier yesterday when I checked them out. As soon as I get it and have had a chance to use it I'll post a review.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:06 AM   #8
fullwave2

Default Sp500

For anyone who is interested I received my Jabra SP500 this past Friday. Only two places carrying it as of the end of last week were HelloDirect and Brookstone. I got mine from Brookstone as a result of a pre-order and paid $100 plus shipping.
So far I am pleased with the unit but haven't too much of an opportunity to test it out completely.
I'm using it as a hands-free unit in the car. Pairing it with my 7100g was pretty straight forward and successful on the first attempt. Of course I had to wait the obligatory 2-3 hours for the intial charging to complete before trying to pair with the 7100g.
Audio both receive and send are good. This is a digital unit that automatically adjusts the volume if you let it or you can manually adjust the volume and override the automatic feature.
Only one small annoyance so far. I leave the unit on in my car with the hopes that it will automatically sense me getting in the car and will active the connection without me having to do anything. That seems to work about 50% of the time so far and haven't figured out yet why it disconnects completely sometimes and doesn't others. I know when you're out of range with the unit it will automatcially lose the connection but what I was hoping was that when I came back into range I wouldn't have to go into the Bluetooth setup in the 7100g and manually connect. I did set the Bluetooth settings for the SP500 to trusted so thought that would work but it seems sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Could it be the length of time I'm away from the unit? Don't know yet.
Still all in all I'm fairly satisfied with the operations of the unit but then again, it's still early. I'll report back if I find any other issues.
Thanks.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:52 PM   #9
Bluetooth

Model: None
Default Jabra SP500

For those interested, I called Jabra support Uk today to find out the UK release date of the SP500 and was told the end of July. I'm anxious to try it out with my Nokia 6630 so if anyone has any info available, please let me know.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:57 PM   #10
Bluetooth

I will look forward to your comments on the SP500 after you've had a chance to give it a proper test. I wonder if the inability for your unit to connect every time is the fault of the unit itself or your phone????
Old 07-19-2005, 08:23 PM   #11
fullwave2

Seems at this point to be some sort of a "time-out". If I go out of range for a short period of time snd return it reconnects with no issue. It's only when I've been away for an extended period of time that it disconnects and requires me manually going into the Bluetooth settings of the phone and reconnecting it. It doesn't lose the PIN or set up in the phone so it's just a matter of going into Options>Bluetooth>Jabra SP500>Connect. Just would prefer that to be seemless. I'll let you know if I learn anythig else as I use it more. As for the functionality it's been great. No issues with volume or microphone pick up. Works very nicely in teh car.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:15 AM   #12
jacobp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

What happens if you simply turn off the SP500 and then turn it back on again. Does it resync automatically when its turned back on???
Old 07-21-2005, 04:43 PM   #13
fullwave2

Sorry. I've been traveling and didn't take it with me. I'll check it out tomorrow when I'm back.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:07 AM   #14
primusdrgn

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

I have a personal $10 off $100 or more coupon for brookstone. Paypal the amount of $2 to me and i shall provide the coupon.. i have proof of coupon if you want! still haven't used it! One time coupon!
Old 07-22-2005, 08:13 AM   #15
Ominx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8130
Carrier: VZW

That coupon expired 6/16. If you can prove otherwise, please do so.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:17 AM   #16
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

if I send you two dollars for a ten dollars off then I only got 8 dollars off I cant believe someone wants to profit off a coupon
Old 07-22-2005, 10:31 AM   #17
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
if I send you two dollars for a ten dollars off then I only got 8 dollars off I cant believe someone wants to profit off a coupon
This is "Merica Dawg. That's how we do things.

BTW, what's so cool about the Speck case that you're waiting for it?
Old 07-22-2005, 10:34 AM   #18
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullwave2
Sorry. I've been traveling and didn't take it with me. I'll check it out tomorrow when I'm back.
How does it work? Why would you use it, unless you've got two or more people needing to listen in, instead of just using a BT earbud?
Old 07-22-2005, 12:30 PM   #19
fullwave2

Basically it's a handsfree wireless add on that gives you speakerphone capability where ever you'd want to use it. I use it in the car for two reasons:
1) I think it's unsafe to be holding a cell phone up to your ear when trying to drive a car.
2) I hate earbuds or anything else stuck in my ear. By the way, I've tried the Jabra 250. I know.. lightweight, trendy, etc. etc. Just don't like it. Pain to put it on. Pain to answer the call. Audio that's not so hot.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:04 AM   #20
Bluetooth

Does the SP500 work well for voice dialing? I have a Nokia 6630 phone and voice dialing works fine but when I try using my HS-4W Nokia bluetooth headset, the vast majority of time it will not recognize the voice. I have tried creating the voice tags through the phone then through the headset but for some reason, the headset still will not voice dial. Will contact Nokia on this - hope they have a quick fix but somehow I'm doubtful.
Closed Thread