Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 12:58 PM   #1
EmJayPrice
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell
Question BB desktop & Windows Vista

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone have the BB desktop manager working with Windows Vista yet?

If yes, then which version do you have?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
EmJayPrice
Thumbs Must Hurt

I can't believe that no one here isn't also testing Windows Vista
Old 03-11-2006, 11:32 AM   #3
Jase88
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PlayB
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Windows XP has proven to be the most stable MS OS ever. Most of my friends in the IT world have expressed disinterest in trying Vista. There just doesn't seem to be much "buzz" over this one. That could change, I'm sure....

Have your tried running Desktop Manager with Vista? And if so, what results have seen thus far?
Old 03-11-2006, 12:10 PM   #4
MrX
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

are you trying the newest version of Desktop Manager?
Old 03-11-2006, 01:06 PM   #5
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmJayPrice
I can't believe that no one here isn't also testing Windows Vista
considering it won't be available until the end of this year (9 more months) or early next year, barring delays, i'm sure no one around really cares to beta test something that has changed quite a bit within the last 4 months alone. call me cynical. also, there are what, 9 versions of Vista, including 32-bit and 64-bit ...could help if you were a little more specific on the version you're testing/running.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

I wonder if BlackBerry driver will be included in Vista. That would be great.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-11-2006, 11:45 PM   #7
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fisher
I wonder if BlackBerry driver will be included in Vista. That would be great.
considering RIM's track record for adopting updates to their own software/drivers to support compatibility with beta technology from Redmond, somehow i doubt we'll even have a Vista driver from RIM by Vista's RTM date, to be honest. i think it took them no less than 4 months or so to support Office Outlook 2003. they've just now officially stated support for Exchange 2003 SP2 - 4.5 months after it was available to corporations (and let's not forget that RIM initially stated that 4.0 SP3, released a few weeks after Microsoft released their update, fully supported the Exchange service pack).

i think RIM needs to take a stance on adaptation to popular products that are considered 'vital' by early adopting corporations and consumers. there is a reason why Microsoft has such LONG beta periods with their major products and attempts to include various vendors, even competitors, during this process. if RIM chooses not to take part, then they should not issue statements, such as they did with the two afformentioned service packs and releases from Microsoft, stating that support would be available soon, citing lack of knowledge of the various application changes from the software giant.

just my two cents on the subject...
Old 03-12-2006, 03:13 AM   #8
BigA
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iphon
PIN: Prick
Carrier: Verizon

Is there even a driver out for WinXP x64 yet.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:56 PM   #9
EmJayPrice
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
considering it won't be available until the end of this year (9 more months) or early next year, barring delays, i'm sure no one around really cares to beta test something that has changed quite a bit within the last 4 months alone. call me cynical. also, there are what, 9 versions of Vista, including 32-bit and 64-bit ...could help if you were a little more specific on the version you're testing/running.
Ok, you're cynical

The group on this board is one of the biggest bunch of fiddlers I have ever seen. I would have expected to see a bunch playing with Vista. The newest build is actually pretty stable.

There are almost as many versions of XP as well. One thing that is pretty neat about Vista and longhorn server is that they all install from 1 CD. The product code determines which version is installed. You will be even be able to change versions just by changing the code on the fly.

Beta 2 of Vista is coming in April I think which will be generally available to most people that want it.

I will attempt to install the latest version on my test machine.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:36 PM   #10
xyrcncp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830

Get me a version of Vista and I'll test it.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:52 PM   #11
rollerbones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I just tried loading the 4.1 desktop up in the feb 28th release of Vista. It has a problem when it tries and register the drivers. There are abou 6 errors. When you then plug in the blackberry it does find it (windows). But the bb desktop will not. If I get more time I will tryu and manualy lregister the drivers but I don't believe it will work. Vista IS different from xp. I do like a lot of the new features with vista and it runs nice on a 2ghz machine and 3gh machine.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:54 PM   #12
rollerbones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I just tried loading the 4.1 desktop up in the feb 28th release of Vista. It has a problem when it tries and register the drivers. There are abou 6 errors. When you then plug in the blackberry it does find it (windows). But the bb desktop will not. If I get more time I will tryu and manualy lregister the drivers but I don't believe it will work. Vista IS different from xp. I do like a lot of the new features with vista and it runs nice on a 2ghz machine and 3gh machine.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:03 PM   #13
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
i think it took them no less than 4 months or so to support Office Outlook 2003.
A problem when we upgrade to Office 2007/"12". The world, unfortunately, revolves around PC desktops for many, not their handheld device. I'm a BB fan, but delays like this make me reconsider WM5 devices, warts and all...

W

Last edited by wibbly; 03-18-2006 at 01:07 PM..
Old 03-18-2006, 01:16 PM   #14
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

What's the delivery date for Office 12? So far the betas are all on Powerpoint. Aren't we putting the cart before the horse?
Old 03-18-2006, 01:45 PM   #15
jibi
BlackBerry God

RTM for Office 2007 is slated for Nov/Dec of this year. RTM for Vista is slated for October. RIM really should jump on the bandwagon and make their products compatible. If they are going to build drivers for Vista and make BDS/BDM compatible with Office 2007, this will likely happen when the FRC/RTM versions are released. In recent years, both product lines have had finalized version, for all intent purposes, released prior to the RTM/Gold release, so RIM should start at that point in time.

There may already be a date set for final code, concerning drivers, for Vista. I'm sure its nearing that point (I think June is the RTM-1 period).
Old 03-18-2006, 04:05 PM   #16
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Indeed. If I get a BB now, I will expect to be wanting to use it as Vista/Office 2007 is rolled out on my desktop. I fear I will not have a full BB solution for a while after that happens. That makes me think twice about the BB purchase now. I don't expect WM5 device users will have that problem. With the BB desktop not available for Vista initially (assuming that were to be the case) I couldn't even back up my BB, let alone sync it with Outlook

As far as I know I think in the past RIM *haven't* supported new MS software at release from MS. I fear this will be repeated, that's all, which is coloring my decision to buy a BB now. WM5 devices may be poorer handhelds, but the BB sync ability with the desktop is in danger of being non-existant for a while for Vista/Office 2007 users who will migrate quickly for other reasons.

And sync with the desktop is quite important for a handheld device to say the least... This is less likely to be a problem for BES/Exchange users as they don't need the BB desktop software or Outlook client compatibility these days. They have Exchange/BES compatibility issues to worry about. But for meer mortals using BWC/BIS and desktop sync on Vista for Outlook, it's a concern.

W

Last edited by wibbly; 03-18-2006 at 04:47 PM..
Old 03-18-2006, 04:16 PM   #17
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

I think that's a very valid concern. I hate to bring up the fact that RIM's major customers are businesses, military and governments, none of whom are in a rush to run to Vista/Office 12. Many installation still have Windows 2000/Office XP. So to large companies, Vista is MAYBE a 2007 project. Office 12 benefits and conversion costs (Access DBs and the like) have yet to be determined.

For the individual, who may want Vista/Office 12 on day one, this could be a problem. But for RIM's bread and butter corporate/government clients, it is not that much of an issue.

Just my .02
Old 03-18-2006, 04:42 PM   #18
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

The only saving grace is that for me there may be other hardware & software I have that will delay my migration to Vista, at least, should I have to wait for drivers etc.

But this is isn't rocket science, is it? Other vendors will manage it. I dare say come release of Vista, there will at the same time be Photoshop or whatever in a version known to work on Vista. And hardware vendors will have 'unsigned' (or whatever) Vista drivers if they're not on the Vista CD, etc.

I realise consumers are not RIM's first priority, but it's got to help RIM's corp/govt customers too if they can start their eval programmes with Vista/Office 2007 to include RIM's products as soon as the MS products come out. Heck, those are the sort of customers that get MS software to play with before everyone else anyway!!

W

Last edited by wibbly; 03-18-2006 at 04:46 PM..
Old 03-18-2006, 05:22 PM   #19
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly
I realise consumers are not RIM's first priority, but
That may be true, but RIM's market penetration to individuals is still something like approximately 50% and individual users of BlackBerry. That's still a couple million individuals. Hard to ignore.

They expanded their website to care "more" about consumers (compared to what they used to). Accessing the recently updated www.blackberry.com clearly show that they now have a consumer section of their website now.

I'd imagine they may still be a bit tardy on Vista, but by only two weeks. There's enough users for a noticeable consumer backlash in the news and press. Maybe even release on time with Vista's release. It might just be the BlackBerry driver. (not BES).

I wouldn't be surprised if they updated the driver a few weeks before Vista release this time around, because of the magnitude of this event, and RIM's obviously increased interest of the consumer market.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 03-19-2006, 06:00 AM   #20
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

I don't think BES will be affected, as Exchange and Windows Server products aren't immediately affected by Vista, are they?

What needs to me made to work for consumers (ultimately with Office 2007) is the driver, & desktop software with Intellisync for Outlook 2007. Or at least a patch which means it will not hang with that software.

And RIM will have to create release candidates well before Vista/Office 2007 ships if their software is to be available through the carriers at Vista's/Office 2007's release. It takes weeks for a carrier to 'approve', notifying RIM of the bugs and getting an updated release out...

W
Closed Thread