Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 10:49 PM   #1
dlbrock
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
Carrier: AT&T
Default Can't Search for IM+

Please Login to Remove!

I have been trying to figure out how to search for IM+ issues as I am having some issues and remember seeing a post about this some time ago. But the search functionality drops the IM when I search for IM+.

We should be able to put search terms in quotes for issues like this.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:05 AM   #2
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

special characters cannot be translated in the SQL query code used to search the database, unfortunately. no real way around this. you could try searching for 'shape' and see if anything returns on shape services.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:16 AM   #3
dlbrock
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
special characters cannot be translated in the SQL query code used to search the database, unfortunately. no real way around this. you could try searching for 'shape' and see if anything returns on shape services.
Yes, I understand the SQL part. I work with SQL on a daily basis. However, it should at least allow the search for 'IM'. That could be configured to not be a stop word for the fulltext search.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:22 AM   #4
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrock
Yes, I understand the SQL part. I work with SQL on a daily basis. However, it should at least allow the search for 'IM'. That could be configured to not be a stop word for the fulltext search.
I think that after the '+' is dropped that 'IM' is too short of a search query.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-08-2006, 12:26 AM   #5
dlbrock
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fisher
I think that after the '+' is dropped that 'IM' is too short of a search query.
Most Full text search engines have what are called 'Stop Word' lists. These are words that are dropped because they are too common in the english language and the full text collection would be over populated with them if they were not stop words. Since the term IM is so popular with handheld devices I think it makes sense to remove 'IM' from the stop word list if it's possible.

If not, then I will continue to hunt page by page. Thanks for the consideration.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:29 AM   #6
jibi
BlackBerry God

traditionally with vBulletin, they've used a built-in search engine function that had min/max values for the number letters - no exclusions or allowances, though. they've added a new search option that uses MySQL's full text searching. supposedly it's faster and less intense on the servers. i'll run this through my own tests, in terms of conversion, etc. and then pass on to Tom to see if he wants to implement it here.

Last edited by jibi; 08-08-2006 at 01:50 AM..
Old 08-08-2006, 08:56 AM   #7
dlbrock
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
traditionally with vBulletin, they've used a built-in search engine function that had min/max values for the number letters - no exclusions or allowances, though. they've added a new search option that uses MySQL's full text searching. supposedly it's faster and less intense on the servers. i'll run this through my own tests, in terms of conversion, etc. and then pass on to Tom to see if he wants to implement it here.
I am surprised there isn't a Stopwords list of some sort. If the application won't extend itself to the solution then there is nothing that can be done about it. Thanks for responding.

Doug
Old 08-08-2006, 11:36 PM   #8
jibi
BlackBerry God

I just converted my forum to MySQL FullText Indexing/Searching - took about 2-3 minutes (should take quite a bit longer over here). I also had a look at the Message Searching options, which remained the same. I must have overlooked the exclusion list, but there is one present. It still has the min/max values for searching, but there is also the exclusion. I'll present this to Tom with a list of commonly-used 2-letter words to exclude and see if he wants to implement.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:43 PM   #9
jibi
BlackBerry God

Actually, just found an inclusions list for words no matter the character limit.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:36 AM   #10
dlbrock
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Actually, just found an inclusions list for words no matter the character limit.
That's what I'm talking about! Thanks for digging around. I think it will make a difference.

Regards,

Doug
Closed Thread