Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 11:07 AM   #1
luckman212
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Arrow is BES absolutely needed?

Please Login to Remove!

is there any way to deliver email to BB users when mail is being routed to an MS Exchange 2003 server *without* using BES? Our company just bought Exch 2003 and they dont have budget for BES but we have a handful of BB users.

I think Desktop Redirector only handles a single user account, correct? What about setting up dedicated BB email addresses for them and having Exchange forward copies of their incoming mail to their BBs?

I am looking for any advice on this-- we will get BES eventually but cant get it right now.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:28 AM   #2
qc_metal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckman212
What about setting up dedicated BB email addresses for them and having Exchange forward copies of their incoming mail to their BBs?

I am looking for any advice on this-- we will get BES eventually but cant get it right now.
As a side note: there are some hosted BES solutions that may be more appealing financially...check with your carrier.

While this would feasibly work for email ONLY, I doubt your security auditors would want you forwarding business emails to a dedicated external (read: publicly accessible) mail account. However, your users would get annoyed at having to delete emails in two different locations (their BB and Outlook).

Aside from the security concerns, you won't get any capabilities of wirelessly synchronizing contacts, tasks, memos, or calendar. You might as well go with a Desktop redirector at this point - or install BES Server Express for everyone - BlackBerry in the corporate environment is really just a Phone/PDA until you get BES implemented. That's where they really shine, IMHO - they become an extension of the office environment.

Finally, without BES, you would have absolutely no control or status of your devices because of the lack of IT policies.

I hate to say it, but you would be better off getting a Windows Mobile solution if you aren't going to get BES - they have the ability to natively work via RPC over HTTP and pull emails from Exchange 2003.

Seriously, for the work involved in trying to get this to be a solution, you could just get a BES and CALS and call it a day. You will save yourself a lot of time, money, and frustration.

Regards,

Rob
Old 10-02-2006, 07:27 PM   #3
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

If wireless Email is your only need for now each user can set up a BIS account and POP the Exchange for no additional cost.
Desktop Redirector requires each users computer to be running - large chance for failure.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:33 AM   #4
tkbesadmin
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250

I love the BIS option. Unfortunately we will be going away from blackberry and bes all together opting for windows mobile and active synch.

if anyone can give me hardcore data on why we SHOULD NOT do this please let me know. I think the BB's and BES are the better solution. our system engineer doesn't agree.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:55 AM   #5
dropscience
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

administration, ease of support, security (not just policies)... don't you want to be able to kill the device remotely if it gets lost or stolen? think of confidential company data possibly being lost. put that in your engineer's pipe and tell him to smoke it!
Old 10-03-2006, 08:02 AM   #6
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700

You could get BES Express (free) and then only have to purchase additional device licenses (maximum 25).

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-03-2006, 06:40 PM   #7
J.W.

Model: 8700g

Just a correction: Express maxes at 15 CALs.

If we upgrade to Enterprise, I wonder if we need to buy the "big boy" CALs?
Old 10-03-2006, 08:11 PM   #8
BES admin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbesadmin
I love the BIS option. Unfortunately we will be going away from blackberry and bes all together opting for windows mobile and active synch.

if anyone can give me hardcore data on why we SHOULD NOT do this please let me know. I think the BB's and BES are the better solution. our system engineer doesn't agree.
Your system Engineer has facts that show Windows Mobile is more cost effective? I doubt it. I would be asking why you are spending money migrating away from a solution already in place.

No way would I go with the Windows mobile solution and I am a member of the Bill Gates fan club!

It's pull technology, highly unreliable, and the devices you would have to support would be a HUGE time sink.

Good luck with all that.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:23 AM   #9
jax
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Vodafone

Yes I'd get BES Express installed (only has 1 user license) and then activate the most vocal / senior user (or one with excess budget!). Once they start using their BB with BES I think they'll push for the $$ to get everyone onboard!
Old 10-04-2006, 08:39 AM   #10
luckman212
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

BES Express -- who knew? this is awesome!! perfect, exactly what I need to get my feet wet with BES. Thanks for the info........
Old 10-04-2006, 01:37 PM   #11
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-mobile

The pull technology and lack of management of exch mobile isn't the worst of the problems. Its the devices. Windows mobile 5 is a nightmare. The devices have to be rebooted daily and they are constantly crashing or hanging or stop communicating. Don't even get me started on the memory management problems. My boyfriend almost had his best friend convinced to move to a bb after seeing how stable and user friendly they are, but he does PR for MS mobile devices and didn't want to risk getting fired lol.
BES 4.1
Old 10-04-2006, 02:06 PM   #12
mserke

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

If you contact Rim directly you should consider asking them about there Blackberry Appliance, We got ours at my office for a great price. This includes a server( Hardware) with the newest verison of enterprise and 20 user license installed already, You just need to run a very easy setup to connect to your exhange box. At least you may wnat to get the info and propose it for next years budget anyhow.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:42 PM   #13
edonin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydi
Windows mobile 5 is a nightmare. The devices have to be rebooted daily and they are constantly crashing or hanging or stop communicating. Don't even get me started on the memory management problems.
Jeepers, LadyDi, you make it sound like Windows : )
Old 10-04-2006, 03:52 PM   #14
hookedOnBB

Model: BOLD
Carrier: ATT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydi
The pull technology and lack of management of exch mobile isn't the worst of the problems.
FYI. The latest service pack for Exhange 2003 seems to support push for Windows Mobile, but that was the least of their problems anyway.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:57 PM   #15
|||||||
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7100
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.W.
Just a correction: Express maxes at 15 CALs.

If we upgrade to Enterprise, I wonder if we need to buy the "big boy" CALs?

If you read the whole offer:

you can get up to 15 users with Small business CALs when you get the unlock key you go to 20 users on Enteprise level. Then yes you have to buy the regular "big boy" cals.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:14 PM   #16
J.W.

Model: 8700g

Thanks. I don't recall seeing that.

Not that I think I have to worry...of the 3 existing BB users, only one has expressed interest in migrating from BIS to BES. :::sigh:::
Closed Thread