Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
eljefe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T
Default Blackberry Desktop Manager - need educating

Please Login to Remove!

My company issued me a Cingular 8700. We have a company BES. I'd like to be able to add a few local applications to my handheld...SplashID in particular.

I successfully connected my 8700 to my PC, ran Desktop Manager and was able to install and sync SplashID, but it screwed up my Enterprise Activated Service Book records. I lost the ability to send company email. I had to beg IT to resend me the correct Service Book, which they did and it fixed my problem.

I'm hoping someone can give me a tutorial on using Desktop Manager to install software; Intellisync to synchronize applications like SplashID, yet not mess up my BES settings.

Tia for any help.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:46 PM   #2
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700

Just run AppLoader directly instead of using BDM.
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Loader.exe"

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-26-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
eljefe
Thumbs Must Hurt

That looks like it will work for adding an application, but how 'bout for syncing after the application is installed?

Last edited by eljefe; 06-26-2007 at 06:18 PM..
Old 06-27-2007, 08:22 AM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Sounds like you installed DM with the BES option on your home PC. Uninstall it and reinstall using the BIS/Internet option and you'll be fine.

Don't choose the BES option, regardless of whether you're on BES or not, unless the PC you're installing DM on has a direct connection to the BES server. The connection can be LAN/WAN/VPN/HTTP but it must be able to directly connect to the BES or you'll run into the exact problem that you're having.

Last edited by takeshi; 06-27-2007 at 08:23 AM..
Old 06-27-2007, 09:00 AM   #5
eljefe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ah! You are so right, Blackberry Master. I did indeed install choosing the BES option.

I'm going to have to think about trying DM again with the BIS option. I want to...but I'm twitchy about having to call IT again. That wouldn't be good.

Any other do's or don't you can suggest while I think of taking the plunge?

Slight OT, I have firmware v4.1.0.377 on my 8700. I installed DM v4, service pack 1. I see in DM V.2 they have separated the sync functions in to two operations, which sounds better to me.

Can I use DM v4.2 with my handheld v4.1 firmware?

Thanks for the insight.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

You should make sure that your IT Dept and BES Admin is OK with you adding applications and BIS email to their BB. Their may be company policies against it, especially if the company is very security conscious. There also may be IT Policies pushed to your BB to prevent such things as loading other applications, sending and receiving personal email etc. After all it is their BB and they are paying the bill.

Also, keep in mind since you are on BES and they also own the BB, the company has the right to look at how you use the BB including surfing and personal email. I am not saying that they will do it, but they could.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:45 AM   #7
eljefe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Y'know, Dubdub, sometimes you're better off not asking questions to which you might not like the answer.

My experience with IT has been mostly it's easier for them to say no...so that's what they do.

Having said that, I understand your points and do make an effort to keep everything personal and work related separate. Separate email. Separate cell phone. Etc. If I violate my own policy of keeping things separate once in a while, I do so knowing I may be held accountable for my actions.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:40 PM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe View Post
Y'know, Dubdub, sometimes you're better off not asking questions to which you might not like the answer.

My experience with IT has been mostly it's easier for them to say no...so that's what they do.

Having said that, I understand your points and do make an effort to keep everything personal and work related separate. Separate email. Separate cell phone. Etc. If I violate my own policy of keeping things separate once in a while, I do so knowing I may be held accountable for my actions.
I am always wary of anyone doing something to a BB that they do not own and are not paying for. Corporate policies are there for a reason, security is the primary one I have heard over time.

Many companies have policies concerning using it other than as prescribed, a violation of which puts the person in line for some type of action depending upon the severity of the issue, up to and including termination.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:49 PM   #9
Andi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Well said! I hate the "I didn't do anything!" and deer in the headlights look I get from users when something happens to their blackberry!!
Old 06-27-2007, 03:56 PM   #10
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile

I agree with that. I had to give a user my .02 yesterday for some bad behavior with their BB.

On the other hand, I understand the frustration of users when an IT person blows them off and says no so that they don't have to work. My users are lucky in that I love the technology and do my best to make sure they get as much functionality as possible and are knowledgeable about their device. And it means they aren't afraid to come to me when there is a problem so I can head off issues before they become a major problem.
BES 4.1
Old 06-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #11
eljefe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Consider me properly chastised.

Now, should I choose to exercise free will and add SplashID to my 8700, are there any other tips, besides the one that takeshi offered, to help me avoid changing any BES imposed settings?

I'm looking for technical advice here folks. Not a lecture on IT policies.

Thank you.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:52 PM   #12
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile

No. If it isn't specifically forbidden by the server policies, go for it. You can't actually change any BES settings unless the policy is set to allow you to do so. You may screw up the device, have to wipe and call IT for an activation password, but that isn't the end of the world.

And if they have it set so that you can't install 3rd party apps, it will tell you as soon as you try to install something. wired or wireless.
BES 4.1
Old 06-28-2007, 08:44 AM   #13
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe View Post
Can I use DM v4.2 with my handheld v4.1 firmware?
Yup. You just won't be able to use Media Manager in DM but that's probably not a big deal.

And I can't think of any other gotchas off the top of my head...
Closed Thread