Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
woobang

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Default To John Clark...

Please Login to Remove!

With all due respect sir...

I did a search and although I'm no pro and I am new here, that was an update to your topic link in the post you locked. The information there is out dated for the 8800 series and I did not know where else to post it. I hope you and any other 8800 users find that useful as those are complete instructions for version 4.2.66 (cut and paste for VZW users). http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...or-themes.html

Further more... in that topic i found this statement rather harsh... "This thread is meant for people who know what they are doing, plain and simple." But then again who am I to speak up. I just wanted to post an easy way (for us noobs) without having to go thru all of the steps in previous instructions here, ie;

3 - Delete the Vendor.xml file from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader (this needs to be done AFTER Step 2, although that should not need to be stated).

4 - Rename the BlackBerry.alx file located in your Installation Path (see above for full path name; varies for each handheld software installation).

5 - Download and extract the BlackBerry.alx file from the associated ZIP file for your handheld. This is listed above as BlackBerry.alx Download.

I just simply renamed the vendor ID's and thats that. We do not need to delete the vendor.xml anymore at least with the 8800 (not sure why we had to). Being new to the 8800 as we all are your instructions imply this needs to be done. This worked with the 8800 AT&T as well as the 8830 VZW with out a flaw.

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers, just trying to post some user friendly info

Last edited by woobang; 07-29-2007 at 05:54 PM..
Old 07-29-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
pspiegel
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

the way that is posted on the forum is much easier than your method in my opinion, there is no need to delete anything. all you have to do is download the operating system for your model, then go into the apploader folder and open the blackberry.alx file in note pad and then change the vendor codes (or even easier, just delete them from the themes you want). no deleting necessary.. just pure editing, it sounds to me like you are doing a lot of additional work in deleting/redownloading/ and then editing..

John was merely trying to point out that there is an alternative (and in my opinion much easier) way to do this that is already in the forum..

Last edited by pspiegel; 07-29-2007 at 06:00 PM..
Old 07-29-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Wirelessly posted (BB 8860: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

And that's all fine and good but there are already quite a few posts with this info already, not including the one I linked in the other thread. That's why I closed your thread. Nothing personal and no feathers ruffled. A search would bring up the many threads on the topic.

John
Old 07-29-2007, 06:58 PM   #4
woobang

Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspiegel View Post
the way that is posted on the forum is much easier than your method in my opinion, there is no need to delete anything. all you have to do is download the operating system for your model, then go into the apploader folder and open the blackberry.alx file in note pad and then change the vendor codes (or even easier, just delete them from the themes you want). no deleting necessary.. just pure editing, it sounds to me like you are doing a lot of additional work in deleting/redownloading/ and then editing..

John was merely trying to point out that there is an alternative (and in my opinion much easier) way to do this that is already in the forum..
The steps above are not my steps but a quote from other directions here http://www.blackberryforums.com/medi...-4-2-only.html
The method I used is just that pure editing found here --> http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...or-themes.html

Thanks John for the reply, again sorry for the double posting. Again I did a search and didnt find info stated in this way that was not fairly old.

Great board you have here as well, its awsome to see a community behind BB devices.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:57 PM   #5
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

There is also an FAQ article which I have posted countless times in response to such questions.
How to Add Vendor Locked Themes - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 07-29-2007, 08:18 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

A good FAQ too, and I forget to link that faq myself sometimes. Thanks Perfect Storm.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:48 PM   #7
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I <3 John Clark.

(even though he secretly deletes my posts occasionally)
Old 07-29-2007, 10:12 PM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Who me? Just remember the prime directive from Guess about how we tell folks to search....(and it's only been that one post)
Old 07-29-2007, 10:18 PM   #9
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Who me? Just remember the prime directive from Guess about how we tell folks to search....(and it's only been that one post)
I know, but it's easy to forget when one is the heat of the moment of reading a gratuitous repost.

And yes, I know it was only that one post, but I wanted to give you a hard time.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:52 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by woobang View Post
.... The information there is out dated for the 8800 series and I did not know where else to post it.
Upon looking at Jibi's Edited .alx thread (that I keep updated now, by the way) I notice that 4.2.2.66 is in fact listed there for the 8830 with the .alx's and all appropriate info, and the thread is not outdated.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:51 AM   #11
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

the faq isnt 100% correct for some reason that way wont unlock the zen theme for the 7130e you actually have to load the cod with java loader.
Closed Thread