BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 11:40 PM   #1
LangTuSJ

Model: 7290
Default Automatically looking up address book when making calls

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I owned a 2790 before and whenever I made calls, if the name I was trying to dial not in the call log, it automatically took me to my address book to allow me look up. I now upgraded to 8700c and it did not do that any more. I have to click on the wheel, and select "Call From Address Book". Does anyone know what the trick is? I really love to get this feature back. Thanks.

Stanley
Old 08-31-2006, 12:25 AM   #2
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

Yes. Press and hold the green "send" key. It will allow you to dial from your address book by typing the name.

Cheers.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
LangTuSJ

Thanks. That's still not what I had before. I guess we have to call it a "feature" then...
Old 08-31-2006, 01:14 PM   #4
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

This is a well known, and disliked, change make to the 8700.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-31-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
LangTuSJ

Hey this is weird. I just checked my buddy' 8700 and his BB can automatically look up the address book if it's not in the current call log. He did not recall he made any change at all but he did install some new stuff. I installed the same thing but still in vain... This sucks!
Old 08-31-2006, 06:52 PM   #6
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by LangTuSJ
Hey this is weird. I just checked my buddy' 8700 and his BB can automatically look up the address book if it's not in the current call log. He did not recall he made any change at all but he did install some new stuff. I installed the same thing but still in vain... This sucks!

By pressing and HOLDING the green button you can automatically look up the address book if it's not in the current call log like you want. It may not do what d_fisher says older BBs could do but it can do that at least. That is how I make all of my calls. Press and hold green button then type in name untill it appears and call'em.

Good luck
Old 08-31-2006, 07:22 PM   #7
naviwilliams
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900

Brilliant info johnfromphilly! I never knew about holding the green button! Now I can turn off my 'dial from home screen', and use my shortcuts...
Old 08-31-2006, 10:54 PM   #8
Chen_Kenichi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

What I would like to see on Blackberry is how one looks up phone numbers on Microsoft SmartPhones.
In MS SmartPhone you can type in either part of a name or part of the person's phone number and it'll find all combinations.
For example, if I am looking up John Doe and his phone number is 888-555-1212, I can either enter J-O-H-N and so on or 8-8-8-5-5-5. Either way it'll come up with John Doe.
I particularly like this feature (the ability to search by phone number) because I sometimes may not know the person's last name but remembers the phone of his or her company (usually happens when I need to call certin person at my client's company).
Old 08-31-2006, 11:25 PM   #9
LangTuSJ

my old 7290 used to do that. Let's say if I type "A" from the call log screen, it will take me to the address book and show all addresses with the letter "A". This is such as nice feature that I hate myself for upgrading to this 8700c.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:32 AM   #10
kjaslow
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Telstra

This is not that big a deal. All that has happened is that the order of the default dialing method has been reversed. With the 7290, the default used to be to dial by name, but you could hold the alt key to dial by number. With the 8700, the default is to dial by number but you can hold down the 'dial' button to dial by name. I would have opted for the defaults to remain as they did for the 7290, but the functionality has not gone away...

And if you dial a recognized phone number, the BB will produce the name of the person you dialed. What would be nice would be to press some numbers, and have the BB show you all the address book entries that match that series of numbers as you dial! So, you dial the first 3 numbers, and see a bunch of people with that same prefix...
Old 09-01-2006, 11:39 AM   #11
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LangTuSJ
my old 7290 used to do that. Let's say if I type "A" from the call log screen, it will take me to the address book and show all addresses with the letter "A". This is such as nice feature that I hate myself for upgrading to this 8700c.

I think you are missing the point---you can do exactly that but from the screen that comes up by pressing and HOLDING the green key. Type in "A" and all the "a"s come up.

Maybe I am missing what you are saying as this is my first BB and I have no past frame of reference. Try holding the green key and doing what you want from the screen that comes up.

Let me know if I understood you incorrectly.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:44 AM   #12
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjaslow
What would be nice would be to press some numbers, and have the BB show you all the address book entries that match that series of numbers as you dial! So, you dial the first 3 numbers, and see a bunch of people with that same prefix...

This can be accomplished but with alot of key presses. Go to search and enter the area code for example. Then check off address book, it will bring up addresses with that area code .

It is not real effecient but it does the job.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:22 PM   #13
Damager
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzle
Yes. Press and hold the green "send" key. It will allow you to dial from your address book by typing the name.
Awesome. I was just trying to figure this out - thanks!
Old 09-01-2006, 02:24 PM   #14
DHermit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzle

Cheers.
sweet thanks I never knew this.
Closed Thread