BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
Shin Asura

Model: 7130g
Default Password recovery question

Please Login to Remove!

Our BES is going to enforce a password policy. If a user forgets their password, is there any way for us to recover it for them. Rather, what are the options available to tech support for getting the user back into their blackberry without losing their data?
Old 02-27-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

If they forget their password, then it's wipe time. 10 wrong passwords and the device wipes. There is no other way. A reactivation will bring most everything back, though.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700

It is possible for the BES admin to remotely reset the password. This also assumes that Content Protection is not also turned on. If it is, the password can not be reset remotely.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-27-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Thanks! Didn't know that. I've seen posts go by with Admins wanting to get into BB's that employees have turned in and were unable to. That's good to know!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
dmead
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: EVO
PIN: the tail on the donkey!
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fisher
It is possible for the BES admin to remotely reset the password. This also assumes that Content Protection is not also turned on. If it is, the password can not be reset remotely.
please explain how this is done at the BES. I needed this the other day but couldn't find how. It would be nice to know in the future where on the BES i can do this. Running v4.1.2.25.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:13 PM   #6
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

The password can be reset and sent wirelessly to the end user from the BES. Their wireless has to be on (if not on, they can initiate in emergency call and then hang up immediately after the dialing starts).
Old 03-01-2007, 03:49 PM   #7
dmead

but where on the bes is this tool. if you are referring to wireless activation password then i don't think that is the same as what this thread is about. activation password won't help an end user who has forgotten the password they need to put in to get back to the main screen.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:31 PM   #8
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmead
but where on the bes is this tool. if you are referring to wireless activation password then i don't think that is the same as what this thread is about. activation password won't help an end user who has forgotten the password they need to put in to get back to the main screen.
Right click on the user, click on IT Admin, then reset password (or something like that).

Set the password for the user and click OK. The user will get the pop-up "accept over the air password". Tell them to click Yes and then type in the password you set.

They should not attempt to type in any passwords until they receive this message or they will get closer to deleting all of their data.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:40 AM   #9
moleman2k
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: t of BEER!!!
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68
Right click on the user, click on IT Admin, then reset password (or something like that).
I believe it's set password and lock handheld. Just provide the user with the password you set.

(7290 -> 8700 -> 8120 -> 8310, with Robbers) -> (8130 -> 9530 -> 9700 w/ Telus)
Old 03-03-2007, 01:10 AM   #10
dmead

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68

Set the password for the user and click OK. The user will get the pop-up "accept over the air password". Tell them to click Yes and then type in the password you set.

They should not attempt to type in any passwords until they receive this message or they will get closer to deleting all of their data.
cool thanks for that. what if they are one wrong password away form erasing everything though? does resetting the password restart the number of times to type it in wrong? perhaps on monday i will do some testing
Old 03-03-2007, 10:51 AM   #11
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmead
cool thanks for that. what if they are one wrong password away form erasing everything though? does resetting the password restart the number of times to type it in wrong? perhaps on monday i will do some testing
No, resetting the password does not restart the times they typed it in wrong. That's why it is important that they not attempt to enter the password until they receive the message "Accept over the air password".

Our IT Policy allows for 10 attemps, but I tell my users to call me or our Helpdesk if they are having problems after 5 or 6 attempts....do NOT wait to call when they get to 9 wrong attempts.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:56 PM   #12
bmaurer

Model: 8703

when you change the password, make sure to click OK instead of clicking enter (like I did 7 times). Cancel is the default.
Closed Thread