Old 02-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon
Default Storm vs. Cold Weather

Please Login to Remove!

I have a job that frequently places me in outdoor situations. This winter my Storm was subjected to Sub 40 degree environments. When exposed to cold weather for extended periods, the touch screen did not respond to thumbing.

When the Storm was returned to a warm environment, or subjected to rapid heating (heater vent) screen sensitivity gradually returned emananting from the center of the screen outward toward the fringes.

One other poster experienced the same issue. The magic zone for me begins in the mid 30's. Battery pulls don't even correct the situation. Heat is the only cure and the phone gradually recovers.

I am wondering if the metal plate in the American model is the main cause as metal definitely swells and shrinks when subjected to temperature changes.

Are there any other users out there who have experienced this?

Verizon 9530
Old 02-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
withanhdammit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Location: Vancouver, USA (no, the first Vancouver, in Washington...no not DC, the state)
Model: 9700
PIN: check
Carrier: AT&T

Yes, I have. I go running in the mornings and the last couple of months it's been in the mid-20's. When I get back home my Storm is extremely sluggish until it warms back up. When it's in the mid 30's I have no problems with it.

h
Old 02-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
rhn1975
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: VzW

I went skiing on Friday (upper 20's) and had no issues at all with the phone or battery life
Old 02-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
withanhdammit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Location: Vancouver, USA (no, the first Vancouver, in Washington...no not DC, the state)
Model: 9700
PIN: check
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhn1975 View Post
I went skiing on Friday (upper 20's) and had no issues at all with the phone or battery life
Just curious, was your phone nice and warm in your pocket, or was it exposed to the cold? I know for me, the phone is exposed to the cold.

h
Old 02-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
Masterteee89
Thumbs Must Hurt

Its the physical screen and button that freezes and stops working.. like the screen is glued down.. ex. like a regular touch screen phone. Mine still has full response just no click.. as explained in other Thread.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-problems.html
Old 02-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

I try to keep my Storm in a pocket close to my body while walking outside (usually a 20 min walk since I live decently far away from my destinations). I've found that if I do this, my phone will respond nicely even in >20 weather if I have to use it for a bit. It will get sluggish if I keep it out for too long, though, but I think this is more due to the LCD screen than the metal plate inside. Either way, it's not too good for the phone. I've had better luck with a pocket closer to my abdomen rather than the pocket of my pants, despite my coat being roughly knee length.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #7
rhn1975
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: VzW

My phone was in the outer pocket of a light shell so I wouldn't say it was warm at all. A side note is that I do have the invisible shield (full body) installed on it. Like I said it worked fine with no issues or battery drain
Old 02-04-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
paulmac
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Storm
PIN: Ask

I think it is the cold vs the LCD more than the metal plate. I have seen other LCD devices that get sluggish and just don't want to work correctly at low temperatures.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:42 PM   #9
Debias
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: vZw

I have found that the phone operates slower in colder temps. So I keep mine in warm areas.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:32 AM   #10
hudres
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon
Lightbulb Of Course it Gets Slow

An LCD display has no choice but to slow down in temperatures below about 50 degrees F. That is why military devices with LCD's have heaters incorporated into the displays. Liquids become more viscous as the temperature drops. Chemistry 101. .. .. .. 73
Closed Thread