Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 11:26 AM   #1
rstensho
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMO
Default Rudeness

Please Login to Remove!

Thought I would put this in the general forum. What many of you "Been here forevers...." don't understand is to a new person what "Search" means. Yes all newbie questions can be answered by searching, but the tone of
"voice" some of you take is ridiculous. You all were newbies at some point. Why not try and help them out instead of making them do all the leg work. Or those snap backs, i.e. "You skipped my post... blah blah blah, the answer was there..." There are nicer ways of saying this. All I am saying is we should be nicer to everyone, and not revert to "Do you know where the search button is?" cuz guess what, try the search button. Do you know how much irrelevant shit comes up. I for one like helping poeple. I do it on all the forums I am a member of. Including this one. Ive been here quite some time, and am just getting tired of reading some of these replies given back with no thought. Can't wait to see what you all say about this, I'm sure most of yo will relate, but some of you will find this annoying Im sure, its for those of you who do find it annoying that need to take lesson here.

Sorry to waste your time here, but I really just needed to get this off my chest before I started angrily replying. Bye
Old 01-30-2006, 11:31 AM   #2
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

We were all like that once. I was and I learned. I don't pick on all of them, just some really irritate me when the answer to their question is two posts above theirs or they just post a random unrelated question in the middle of a thread.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=24134

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:35 AM   #3
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

First thing to do is relax. There are people that respond "bluntly" by saying, "go search for it and dont waste my time". However, it is just like the real world. You have some people that will take the time to work with you and others who feel like retracing a step they have once covered is time wasted. I cant feel like that because there is always something more to be learned from the situation even if it has been covered thousands of times.

the "Try searching" reply has just been copied by other members that have seen someone else before them do it.

Please do not take it offensively
Old 01-30-2006, 11:38 AM   #4
Bratag
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstensho
Thought I would put this in the general forum. What many of you "Been here forevers...." don't understand is to a new person what "Search" means. Yes all newbie questions can be answered by searching, but the tone of
"voice" some of you take is ridiculous. You all were newbies at some point. Why not try and help them out instead of making them do all the leg work. Or those snap backs, i.e. "You skipped my post... blah blah blah, the answer was there..." There are nicer ways of saying this. All I am saying is we should be nicer to everyone, and not revert to "Do you know where the search button is?" cuz guess what, try the search button. Do you know how much irrelevant shit comes up. I for one like helping poeple. I do it on all the forums I am a member of. Including this one. Ive been here quite some time, and am just getting tired of reading some of these replies given back with no thought. Can't wait to see what you all say about this, I'm sure most of yo will relate, but some of you will find this annoying Im sure, its for those of you who do find it annoying that need to take lesson here.

Sorry to waste your time here, but I really just needed to get this off my chest before I started angrily replying. Bye
While I agree with the general message here, there are some rude people on the boards, I also see the point of the "Use the search button" response. In several threads the answer the person is looking for is contained literally several posts above and yet it is easier for the person to repeat the same question that has been asked repeatedly than invest any effort into finding the solution.

Yes we were all noobs once, and I will for the most part post either a link or an answer to questions. However if I see the same question over and over again that has been answered repeatedly before, thats just laziness on the part of the asker and that will prompt a short answer of "Use the damn search button".

Perhaps the answer here is a more specific search function to reduce the non relevant stuff
Old 01-30-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

Maybe someone should write a standard response that is informative but friendly?

Another idea would be to have a Search orientation as part of the welcome e-mail and have it show up the 1st - 5th time people log in...

Frankly, I've been here for a while but struggle with the search function. It's not very bright.
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Old 01-30-2006, 12:04 PM   #6
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan
Frankly, I've been here for a while but struggle with the search function. It's not very bright.
Its all about searching for the right word of phrase. I struggle with it too at times. The other thing that makes it difficult is the off topic message title people use.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-30-2006, 12:13 PM   #7
matthewk24
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

I think the big problem, for a newbie, is that you don't know the term to use to find what you are looking to do.

I agree that some of the posts can seem rude, but maybe it will help them learn to search better and really look before posting.

What you have to remeber as well is that this is a huge forum and for the admins to go through everything and do as good a job as they do, I can see how it would be frustrating to answer something that could be found easily by searching.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:21 PM   #8
penk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: v6.0.0.461 on Pink

you're shoes are untied

Last edited by penk; 01-30-2006 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: Double Post
Old 01-30-2006, 12:22 PM   #9
penk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: v6.0.0.461 on Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fisher
Its all about searching for the right word of phrase. I struggle with it too at times. The other thing that makes it difficult is the off topic message title people use.
agreed. this forum could use a good spring cleaning, both of useless posts and threads, and bans/permabans of repeat offenders.

what i struggle with most is the notion that someone once deemed these individuals important and savvy enough to be handed a blackberry. i weep for their IT personnel.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:24 PM   #10
blkberryboy

Model: Repl.
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonent
We were all like that once. I was and I learned. I don't pick on all of them, just some really irritate me when the answer to their question is two posts above theirs or they just post a random unrelated question in the middle of a thread.
Ditto...And remember the rudeness sometimes is in the way you read the post, not all comments are meant to be mean, some are just "Hey I did a search and I found 5 posts with your answer."

"People are people so why should it be, you and I we get along so awfully"
Old 01-30-2006, 12:35 PM   #11
stonent

Quote:
Originally Posted by penk
agreed. this forum could use a good spring cleaning, both of useless posts and threads, and bans/permabans of repeat offenders.

what i struggle with most is the notion that someone once deemed these individuals important and savvy enough to be handed a blackberry. i weep for their IT personnel.
I weep for the people who seem barely functional that post on forums in general.

"Hey my 7290 don't work whut's up?"

Old 01-30-2006, 12:37 PM   #12
rstensho

I am glad that there are others out there that believe in forum ettiquette. A forum is a place to share knowledge. I am not standing here today as a newbie, but as someone who was upset with reading half these posts. I dont get around to posting all to often. It's nice to see that i'm not the only one who believes that we could use a little work here. I propose, as im sure others have done before, that when a newbie signs up for an account, there should be a reply verification portal for new users that has a brief tutorial, and a user agreement as to the responsibilities and etiquette. I'm sure people will skip reading it, but some will benefit from it. Maybe a warning system for repeat offenders????

Thanks for your input , Raymond
Old 01-30-2006, 12:47 PM   #13
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. One idea which I've repeatedly asked for, is to automatically moderate the first 10 posts of new forums members. Perhaps you have seen the mystical "mftp" on some postings. Moderate First Ten Posting.

That way, when people ask:

"Can I load ringtones via USB"
"Can I create themes for my 6710"
"Can I get e-mail without the BlackBerry Data Plan"
"Can I connect my BB to my Palm using Bluetooth"

OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER

their posts won't make it to general forums.

I'm sorry you are offended by some of the postings here.

As a new member, I look forward to you participating and seeing what some of us elder statesmen have to go through EVERY SINGLE DAY.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:47 PM   #14
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

I agree in the majority of what has been said here. I too have gone up and down, was a newbie and learned to search, I do ask questions as well once in a while. I do understand that search can be confussing at best. I have also been guilty of asking others to search, I have gotten angry and gotten others angry at me. I have come full circle. I try to help now as much as I can even to the extent now that at times when someone asks a question and dont quite word it right enough that i piss someone off because my answer shows that the question was misinterpreted rather than mis worded by the original poster.

My solution has gotten to be this, I tend to ignore most postings that i know the answers are there if they search. Or if I see someone who is struggling what I will do if I dont know the answer right of the bat is do the search myself copy the URL, tell them politely that search does help and work and then add the URL below that so that they can get their answer.

Yes I still get upset, hot and bothered by the poster who has the answer in the same thread and di not bother to read the whole thread, or the poster that tells you right of the bat about he being lazy and not wanting to read all the information avaialble here, but now I just tend to not fire back and try, notice I said try, to walk away and say nothing rather than stir bad feelings. I dont always succeed, I guess I am falible, after all I am human (I Think).

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 01-30-2006, 12:50 PM   #15
stonent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. One idea which I've repeatedly asked for, is to automatically moderate the first 10 posts of new forums members. Perhaps you have seen the mystical "mftp" on some postings. Moderate First Ten Posting.

That way, when people ask:

"Can I load ringtones via USB"
"Can I create themes for my 6710"
"Can I get e-mail without the BlackBerry Data Plan"
"Can I connect my BB to my Palm using Bluetooth"

OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER

their posts won't make it to general forums.

I'm sorry you are offended by some of the postings here.

As a new member, I look forward to you participating and seeing what some of us elder statesmen have to go through EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Old 01-30-2006, 01:42 PM   #16
rstensho

So the first ten posts are moderated.....
So the my next question for everyone is on structure:
Do we expunge irrelevant posts, or are they archived
Are there multiple moderators or administrators that have the power to suppress posts. Is it possible to assign moderators to individual sections so as to maintain control, or is there only one or two moderators for the entire forum, I am not saying this is nto working so far, but maybe it still needs to be tweaked. Some forums have moderators for each individual sections, and redundancy at that. And btw, I wasnt personally upset at a post I put up[well... at this forum]... There are forums that 8 months ago anyone woud help you, but once they figured it out, there default answer became "not another newbie....." I have gone into further detail over at that site, but they are now working to resolve theire differences with a "Newbie" section. unfortunatley, nobody with knowledge will post in that section. People need to give back, not just leech knowledge. Sorry for ranting,
I beleive this site is a great resource, just needs some tweaking and some suppresion of soem users
Old 01-30-2006, 02:08 PM   #17
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstensho
So the first ten posts are moderated.....
I think you mis-read NJBlackBerry's post. He said "One idea which I've repeatedly asked for, is to automatically moderate the first 10 posts of new forums members". This is something he would like to see, not actually doing.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-30-2006, 02:09 PM   #18
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

It is against the very spirit of the Internet to censor users - which is exactly what you want to do. You have no right to decide what should and should not stay. Stick around long enough, participate, become a moderator and maybe you will have some say.

I am sorry you don't like the forum. You are ranting. I am tempted to move this thread to "Off Topic" or "Site Suggestions" since it has nothing to do with BlackBerrys and is simply you expressing your opinion on the way the forum is run.

You can do what Guess did - start your own BlackBerry support forum and run it the way you want to.

Now, I have to go back and figure out how to get ringtones via BT over to my 5820.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:12 PM   #19
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Now, I have to go back and figure out how to get ringtones via BT over to my 5820.

MF327P!! Sorry, couldn't resist
Old 01-30-2006, 02:30 PM   #20
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

mf4400p

Where are those themes I misplaced?
Closed Thread