hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA
Default Re: Android Player for PlayBook leaked

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothadmin View Post
There is no "small person-like" icon next to the orientation lock. I am running OS 1.0.7 there is just the orientation lock, then bluetooh, the wifi, the battery, and the setup icon...

Please advise.

Thanks
Andrew
You have to go into the options menu, select Security then Development Mode and turn Use Development Mode on. You will have to set a password as well. Then you will see the "small person-like" icon.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #62
smoothadmin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9860
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

How do I download apps from Google?

I tried to download google+ but it keeps saying I don't have an android device and doesn't let me download anything. :(

Last edited by smoothadmin; 07-30-2011 at 09:47 PM..
Old 07-30-2011, 10:49 PM   #63
smoothadmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBerry View Post
You can do that. You can also use the Astro File Manager to install the .apk file from your Playbook. I just ask my friends on bbm to send me suggestions. Then a I cheat a little. Once the official player comes out I think I will join the marketplace and buy some of the paid apps. You can Google .apk files and a healthy selection should appear.

This is a pretty good site. Top Android Apps and Games in the Android Market | AppBrain.com
The appbrain app wont install on my andriod player.

A.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #64
ZombieBerry

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

You have the player installed? Did you follow the steps and install Astro File Manager?

http://www.mediafire.com/?kzctcq2a2tzetmr extract that to C:\platform-tools\

Goto the first page and follow the steps in the guide on the first page. (The Astro .apk has to be in the same directory and your PB has to be in development mode for the install to work)

Last edited by ZombieBerry; 07-30-2011 at 11:07 PM..
Old 07-31-2011, 05:01 AM   #65
moorken

Model: 9790
Carrier: ?

any news on when the official version would be released yet? seems like RIM admits they have a tough competition with android going on....
Old 07-31-2011, 06:43 AM   #66
smoothadmin

Quote:
You have the player installed? Did you follow the steps and install Astro File Manager?

platform-tools.zip extract that to C:\platform-tools\

Goto the first page and follow the steps in the guide on the first page. (The Astro .apk has to be in the same directory and your PB has to be in development mode for the install to work)
Yes Astro is installed but when I go to AppBrain it wants to install the AppBrain app; it doesn't tell me were it downloads it it just say I need to run it; but when I look in the download folder under Astro it's no there...and the browser doesn't give me an option to save it anywhere. :(

Andrew
Old 07-31-2011, 08:06 AM   #67
ZombieBerry

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30033427/App...p%20Market.apk

I put appbrain in my dropbox. Just click the link.

Once it has been downloaded, you can save it on the PB in the downloads directory, then use Astro to locate and install.

Cheers,
Old 07-31-2011, 12:05 PM   #68
smoothadmin

Quote:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30033427/App...p%20Market.apk

I put appbrain in my dropbox. Just click the link.

Once it has been downloaded, you can save it on the PB in the downloads directory, then use Astro to locate and install.

Cheers,
Hi Zombie,

Thanks for sending the me the invite to Google+ if that was you. However after I click on the Link and Download I get an error "Web page not available"; when I follow the path on my PC it takes me the page that I can't get do on my PB. :(

Any ideas?

Thanks for the AppBrain app; Google+ gives me an error to... Intent no suppored...

A.

Last edited by smoothadmin; 07-31-2011 at 12:10 PM..
Old 07-31-2011, 12:34 PM   #69
ZombieBerry

Quote:
Hi Zombie,

Thanks for sending the me the invite to Google+ if that was you. However after I click on the Link and Download I get an error "Web page not available"; when I follow the path on my PC it takes me the page that I can't get do on my PB. :(

Any ideas?
If you accepted the invite, then you can go to plus.google.com and you should be able to login from there. I don't remember any downloading. I can try sending another one. I know the G+ .apk doesn't work, but once you register you can connect via any device that has an internet connection.

Quote:
Thanks for the AppBrain app; Google+ gives me an error to... Intent no suppored...

A.
I am not sure I understand. Appbrain is installed via Astro on your Playbook with the Player open.

Google+ does not work on the Android Player (Yes, I know it does, but the steps you need to take are almost not worth it), so I am kind of confused. G+? Nothing to do with the Playbook, unless you are already a member and want to sign in via the browser.

Appbrain - Does work, but you will need to take certain steps (sorry, it is a beta release). Do you mean that you cannot download Google+ with appbrain?

Cheers,

Last edited by ZombieBerry; 07-31-2011 at 12:39 PM..
Old 07-31-2011, 01:54 PM   #70
smoothadmin

Quote:
If you accepted the invite, then you can go to plus.google.com and you should be able to login from there. I don't remember any downloading. I can try sending another one. I know the G+ .apk doesn't work, but once you register you can connect via any device that has an internet connection.

I am not sure I understand. Appbrain is installed via Astro on your Playbook with the Player open.

Google+ does not work on the Android Player (Yes, I know it does, but the steps you need to take are almost not worth it), so I am kind of confused. G+? Nothing to do with the Playbook, unless you are already a member and want to sign in via the browser.

Appbrain - Does work, but you will need to take certain steps (sorry, it is a beta release). Do you mean that you cannot download Google+ with appbrain?

Cheers,
I downloaded Appbrain and copied it over to my download folder on my PB. I used Astro and installed the app.

I open the app which takes me to the Appbrain website, I clicked on Manage and Sync, it found updates for Astro, Google+, Winamp, AppBrain App Market, and Citrix Reciever; these are all the ones I have manually downloaded from your site and installed on my playbook; except for G+. When I click on any of the links and click on "show market page" I get this:

a black screen
errror: Intent not supported
Intet { act=android.intent.action.View dat=market://details?id=com.appspot.swisscodemonkeys.apps...... ........................... }

And I get a similar page for anything I manually look for on Appbrain and try to download to my playbook. :(

A.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #71
ZombieBerry

Yes, I had to delete the player and then reinstall to get appbrain working. Even then, all I can do is download. I cannot install from Market and/or appbrain. I check to see if the app is an updated version and free, if so, then I hunt on one of the aftermarket android sites.

There is also an app that performs bulk .apk installs (Select all your apps you want to install and it's a one button process) I will have to look around for it, as I do not have it installed yet.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:23 AM   #72
smoothadmin

Quote:
Yes, I had to delete the player and then reinstall to get appbrain working. Even then, all I can do is download. I cannot install from Market and/or appbrain. I check to see if the app is an updated version and free, if so, then I hunt on one of the aftermarket android sites.

There is also an app that performs bulk .apk installs (Select all your apps you want to install and it's a one button process) I will have to look around for it, as I do not have it installed yet.
Have you tried to install the latest Astro app on your PB? I found this site that lets you download most of the apps in .apk format; I noticed that the Astro Manager is up to version 2.5.2; the one you have provide is 2.3.1

I just don't know how to remove the old version and install the new. :(

When you uninstalled the player and reinstalled it; what did you do differently?

A.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:54 AM   #73
smoothadmin

AppBrain 6.0.2 works a whole lot better than your version of AppBrain that you linked here. Sure you can download from the Market which is okay for now but when you click on "open this app" it actually opens it; I found with your version it gives me the error I told you about.

A.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #74
smoothadmin

FYI you can find DDPB Installer v1.0.7.0 here; the one I downloaded from this thread was v1.0.6.0

DDPB Installer1.0.7.msi
Old 08-31-2011, 03:27 PM   #75
trianglemonster

Model: PB
Carrier: Verizon

So i followed the instructions and have the player installed. It shows up on the PB desktop with a question mark icon. Then i launch it, the Android Player window shows up for a second, but then quickly goes away, nothing else afterwards. Anyone know what I might be missing?
Thanks!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:19 PM   #76
Ade
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by trianglemonster View Post
So i followed the instructions and have the player installed. It shows up on the PB desktop with a question mark icon. Then i launch it, the Android Player window shows up for a second, but then quickly goes away, nothing else afterwards. Anyone know what I might be missing?
Thanks!
i think the adroid player stopped working since the last update, well at least mine stopped.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:26 PM   #77
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by trianglemonster View Post
Thanks!
What OS version are you on? Ade is correct as it looks like everyone who did the OS update to 1.0.7.2942 lost the Android app. Look through this thread for similar stories.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:27 PM   #78
ZombieBerry

Yes, everyone who upgraded did lose the Player.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #79
trianglemonster

Model: PB
Carrier: Verizon

Yeah i upgraded. Dang it.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #80
georgejo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: roger's

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheA View Post
I'm not enthusiastic about the whole idea of Android-on-Playbook.
I think, this feature is one of survival. Its a necessity.

The PB is still offering MULTI-TASKING and bridging to Blackberry users.

Quote:
If Android apps work so well on the PB, why would anybody write native PB apps?
There are only 4000 pb apps. Nobody is writing playbook apps.

People will write PB apps in cases where the market is captive; e.g., enterprise SECURE applications!!!
Closed Thread