BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 06:50 PM   #1
MattJ

Model: mix
Default Problems resetting lost passwords

Please Login to Remove!

Greetings!

I am in New Zealand and support our regions blackberries. We have two models available to us 7230 and 7100v, these are on the Vodafone (NZ) network. Our BES server (version 4.0.0.1.8) is situated in the USA and we use Domino. (we are a multi-national company)

I have had a couple of requests lately where our users are prompted to change their passwords and then, next time they log on the Blackberry does not recognise the old password or new password, and so the countdown begins. On some of these occassions, the wireless is off so I cannot reset the password using the Blackberry manager software.

As a result, the blackberry is scrubbed and we have to re-activate the device for the user. To me, this seems like reinstalling windows every time a user forgets their password, there must be a better way? What am I doing wrong?

In summary, I ask: How do I reset a password on a blackberry that is not currently on the network (ie. wireless is switched off), without having to re-load the blackberry?
Old 05-31-2006, 11:13 PM   #2
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJ
In summary, I ask: How do I reset a password on a blackberry that is not currently on the network (ie. wireless is switched off), without having to re-load the blackberry?
Unless you know the correct password it can't be done. It would be great if RIM would impliment a global admin password that could be used in emergency situations like this.

Do you know if the devices you were having trouble with had content protection enabled? If they do, you can't reset the password remotely without the user knowing the old password as well. Kind of defeats the purpose of trying to reset a forgotten password.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-31-2006, 11:52 PM   #3
MattJ

That is what I was afraid off... And I have also had 2 occassion where a password reset left the blackberry with a corrupt OS <sigh>

I don't believe we have content protection enabled, at least I have never been prompted to enter the old password. On another line of thought, is it then possible to remotely activate the Blackberries wireless (hoping the batteries hold enough charge).

Thank you for you response.
Matt
Old 06-01-2006, 12:24 AM   #4
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJ
On another line of thought, is it then possible to remotely activate the Blackberries wireless (hoping the batteries hold enough charge).
No, sorry. If they wireless is turned off, there is no way to remotely send a signal to it.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-01-2006, 04:40 AM   #5
MattJ

Okay, thank you for your help.
matt
Old 11-06-2006, 05:54 AM   #6
--G--
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100g

(finally found this post!)

Well MattJ, I am in the same postion.

It is increadibly annoying when users forget passwords, and leave their blackberry to die...one thing I have thought that might work is swapping the sim - which will put the wifi on, but will not allow you to reset the users password, I am guess because the Sim card is linked to the user.

Anyways, what I was thinking is that if we could change the wifi, to switch itself on automatically from within the BB itself, this would sort the problem ~ can I set the wireless to start up automatically on all the BB??

It is not a good look for the BB when a user forgets a password, and has to send the device back to the UK to be reset, and rebuilt...
Closed Thread