BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
angrylittledeadgirl

Model: 7290
Default Help! Corrupt .gif file crashing Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

I downloaded a .gif last night into my picture folder. I guess it was corrupted, because as soon as I selected the pictures folder, it crashed the blackberry with an error 122 or 112...I forget which.

Tried to go back in again to erase the .gif file. Crashed again as soon as I opened the pictures folder.

Obviously, I can't delete the .gif if I cant even open the pictures folder. I surfed through the exceptionally meager desktop manager program, there is no way for me to access the folder from my pc...i did try to find the folder from the selective backup option and clear it, but none of those folders are named *picture*. I cleared a folder called *folder* of 8 items that were in it, but that wasn't it.

How can I get rid of this picture so I can go about life again?
Old 03-12-2006, 07:50 PM   #2
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

It sounds to me like you need to wipe it and reload the Operating system into it. In My signature there is a link to JL_Cmder an utility created by d_fisher one of our Moderators that will help you wipe it. Download the newest version of the Operating System for your device, install it on your pc. Use the utility to wipe the device then reload it.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 03-12-2006, 10:50 PM   #3
angrylittledeadgirl

*sigh* just got the Blackberry Friday night...broke it Saturday...I have a freaking master's degree in IT and I STILL managed to destroy it to the extent that I have to wipe it in the first 24 hours?

Are these things really that susceptible to ruination?

Or am I just that talented???

Sorry to be a newbie...where do I get the most current OS to reload with?
Old 03-12-2006, 10:56 PM   #4
KonTiki

Check this thread out:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=1871

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 03-12-2006, 11:23 PM   #5
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrylittledeadgirl
*sigh* just got the Blackberry Friday night...broke it Saturday...I have a freaking master's degree in IT and I STILL managed to destroy it to the extent that I have to wipe it in the first 24 hours?

Are these things really that susceptible to ruination?

Or am I just that talented???
haha! I have been in support positions for a number of years. I have always said that any user can break a PC. But, it takes a knowledgable user to break it beyond help! I give you credit your admitting you broke it. Nothing gets under my skin more than a programmer claiming they did nothing to their system and finding out later that they did.

Actually, BlackBerries are extremely stable. I firmly believe that most of the common problems are caused by the installation of themes, ringtones, and wallpapers. BlackBerries are unusually picky with what they support in those areas.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-13-2006, 12:04 AM   #6
angrylittledeadgirl

Thank you KonTiki... I was wondering how the OS reinstall would work considering that the phone came from cingular and it had all of its configurations preprogrammed.

I can barely figure out how to answer the phone on it (hahah) let alone figure out how to reconfigure it to connect to Cingular's network

I guess I have to do this. I feel like a condemned woman...
Old 03-13-2006, 12:16 AM   #7
angrylittledeadgirl

Does anyone know what folder under the advanced tab of the backup/restore function of the Desktop Manager holds the pictures file? If I could just figure out which folder to clear, I should be able to erase the .gif file, no? And not have to wipe it and reinstall. Like I said in my original post, I cleared a few that sounded like they might have pictures: one called folder and one called browser folders...but it didn't work...
Old 03-13-2006, 12:34 PM   #8
angrylittledeadgirl

Hehehe...finally my brain woke up and I fixed the problem. Simply made a safe .gif file of the same name, emailed it to myself, and overwrote the bad file. Problem solved. Picture file can be accessed again with no crashing. Duh.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I've learned a lot about my new friend over the last few days

I'll be around...soon...I'm sure...when I break it again
Old 03-13-2006, 01:34 PM   #9
KonTiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrylittledeadgirl
Hehehe...finally my brain woke up and I fixed the problem. Simply made a safe .gif file of the same name, emailed it to myself, and overwrote the bad file. Problem solved. Picture file can be accessed again with no crashing. Duh.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I've learned a lot about my new friend over the last few days

I'll be around...soon...I'm sure...when I break it again
Good show, I learned from you now, you see how this works. I am so used to doing the reinstalls that it was almost in my mind the easiet way to do it, but as they say; Necessity is the mother of invention, I am sure others will take notice of how you solved the problem.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Closed Thread