BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
kayema
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone
Default I know this is a crazy question!!

Please Login to Remove!

Don't ask why but the organisation I work for is so paranoid about all data it wants all mail on a blackberry to be automatically deleted after 1 day (or sooner!).

All users think this is crazy but we have little choice and are currently requested to ensure that we manually delete all mail after 1 day or after we have read it.

Is there a way to set this to happen automatically - I know you can set the 'keep messages' option but the minimum is 15 days and the other problem is that I cannot set this via a policy so users could change even if I could set it to less than 15.

Any ideas? any third party apps?

Thanks - Mark
Old 04-26-2006, 11:27 AM   #2
dozment
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Sounds like they don't want data to fall into the wrong hands if a Blackberry is lost or stolen. The organization I work for has a similar concern, but took a different approach. Our folks push a policy to lock the device upon holstering and after a few minutes of inactivity. They also have a policy to require a password.

If someone finds or steals a device it either should be or will soon be locked. If they enter an incorrect password too many times (10 maybe?) it either wipes itself or it locks until it is wiped.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:20 PM   #3
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

What dozment says is probaby the best solution. But, if you forced to work within the requirements set by your company it wont work. Fifteen days is the minimum setting that you can specify on the BlackBerry to automatically delete messages.

As a fairly simple work around, open Messages and highlight a line with the date. Press the scroll wheel and select Delete Prior. This will only delete messages on the BlackBerry itself, regardless of how you have the BlackBerry configured to handle deletions.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-27-2006, 04:41 AM   #4
kayema
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks for replies - I have already implemented poilicies which enfiorce a password which ages every 30 days and also locks the device after 1 min!!

But still they want auto delete set to every 1 or 2 days!!

At present users have to use the delete prior but our HO are threatening to ban them if we cannot auto delete.

Its ridiculous but seems impossible to make them see sense!!
Closed Thread