BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 01:44 PM   #1
family_man

Model: 7250
Default Newbie question re: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I'm 99% ready to purchase a Blackberry 7250 w/Verizon wireless. I'll be upgrading my existing cellphone. My question, in order to use the email functions, is it necessary to sign up for one of the Blackberry service packages Verizon offers or can I simply use the device with a basic wireless plan?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2005, 01:46 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

You need a Blackberry data plan to use any e-mail functions.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:39 AM   #3
mykeliam

Model: 8703
Carrier: verizon

you can do without any data plan and pay as you go. The cost is something like .0002 per kilobyte. You can also choose different data plans. I use unlimited at 49.95 per month with a 39.99 voice plan. I get the discount my hospital has and pay a little less.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:16 AM   #4
Dusty Saddle
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by family_man
I'm 99% ready to purchase a Blackberry 7250 w/Verizon wireless. I'll be upgrading my existing cellphone. My question, in order to use the email functions, is it necessary to sign up for one of the Blackberry service packages Verizon offers or can I simply use the device with a basic wireless plan?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
The Verizon Blackberry service packages include voice and data but you can keep your exizting voice plan and just add a data plan. I added my bb to my family plan ($9.95) and added the unlimited data plan.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:52 PM   #5
navyman

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

If you aren't locked into a Verizon contract, consider going with Earthlink, which resells leased Verizon network coverage under their own name. You can buy the blackberries at www.karbonsystems.com for $199 each with only a 12 month committment. I recently bought two of them from them and so far, have no reason to regret not going with Verizon, which wants $299 with a 2 yr committment.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:55 PM   #6
katya
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyman
If you aren't locked into a Verizon contract, consider going with Earthlink, which resells leased Verizon network coverage under their own name. You can buy the blackberries at www.karbonsystems.com for $199 each with only a 12 month committment. I recently bought two of them from them and so far, have no reason to regret not going with Verizon, which wants $299 with a 2 yr committment.
Ditto that! I am also with EarthLink and am very happy with them. Customer service is light years better than Verizon (was with them since 1995) and since EarthLink is a data company rather than a phone company they just seem to "get" the BlackBerry, email and web question much better. Plan price and contract is also better with EarthLink.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:43 PM   #7
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Doesn't look like earthlink has any family plans but they are competitive. You have to have deep pockets to use VZW.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:20 AM   #8
katya
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm
Doesn't look like earthlink has any family plans but they are competitive. You have to have deep pockets to use VZW.
Also deep pockets to upgrade from your cellphone to a BB. I have been with Verizon since 1995 and it would have cost me $449 to "upgrade" from my VX6000 because I am an EXISTING customer. Discounts are only for new customers. Yes, I know this is how the industry works...

So I became a new customer with EarthLink and saved several hundred dollars on the hardware and will continue to save on the plan which even with voice is $10 a month less than the compariable Verizon plan. And have better customer service to boot.
Closed Thread